U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Bethel Residents/Frequent Visitors

Group Created by teamcoltra

The Bethel Alaska Resident and Visitor Group.

View All Members Showing 10 of 22 Member(s)
Showing 2 of 2 Picture(s)
Fall Bethel
From warptman
Smokey Bethel
From warptman
Showing Social Group Messages 1 to 6 of 6
  1. SarisaSMouse
    12-14-2015 04:11 PM - permalink
    SarisaSMouse
    Did any of you guys end up staying in the Bethel area? What was it like?
  2. Wanderlust83
    07-13-2013 07:54 PM - permalink
    Wanderlust83
    Hello all,
    I am moving to Bethel in a few weeks to start working as an Air Traffic Controller at the airport. My wife will be following in a couple months after she completes nursing school. We have done a lot of research but still have tons of questions. We will be bringing our 3.5 year old English Bulldog with us so we are looking for a place to rent long term that will allow pets. We are wondering if we will need to buy a car or will an ATV/ snow machine work? How about winter clothing, do we need to invest in something as extreme as the Canada Goose Down Parkas or will our lighter down jackets work with proper layering and carhartt bibs? We both are experienced in the outdoors for cold weather in places like Washington, Oregon, and Idaho but are concerned that our gear wont be warm enough. How about boots? Are insulated Xtratuffs appropriate or do we need something more like Sorels etc? We are excited to get there and meeting the community and having the best experience we can. Any input and advice is appreciated!
  3. ChicagoGirl1965
    02-05-2013 04:34 PM - permalink
    ChicagoGirl1965
    I am also nervous as I would be moving there alone without knowing a soul.
  4. ChicagoGirl1965
    02-05-2013 04:32 PM - permalink
    ChicagoGirl1965
    Hi, everyone. I have an interview with the Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corp. tomorrow via phone (I live in Chicago). I'm conflicted about moving there as I hear it is difficult to find housing and that most landlords don't let you have pets? That seems crazy! I have every intention of buying two puppies (I hear they only have sled dogs; not huskies) when I get there and am bringing my 2 cats. I also MUST have laundry in the building, heat, cable, and internet access. A roommate would be great in order to split costs.

The draw to Behtel for me is the salary is pretty good (extremely expensive cost-of-living already taken into account) and the student loan repayment program. I could get half my student loans paid off in 2yrs working there and the entire loan wiped out inf five years. I always enjoy a new adventure but at 47yrs old, I don't know if I want to make that kind of journey again. Other drawbacks are that I have bad arthritis in my left elbow and left hip. I'm wondering how bad the weather will affect this, although I hear it is a dry snow and not wet.

Anybody have any thoughts on the above? And if I do move, what would how would you suggest transporting my clothes and furniture there? Some people also say you should ship stape food there (rice/pasta/beans, ect.) to save money. Other say that it's best to order food from Walmart in Anchorage and then have shipped via barge.
  5. Balisa
    09-14-2012 06:31 PM - permalink
    Balisa
    Hello all,

Me and hubby are thinking about moving there. Are there a lot of trees and does it stay green most of the time. How much daylight is there in the winter?

Thanks all.
  6. mellockwo
    08-27-2010 05:47 PM - permalink
    mellockwo
    Hi everyone. My name is Melony. I will be moving to Bethel within the next month and am searching the web for pointers. I guess I'm looking for inforrmation about renting a room/temporary housing, transportation, shopping, cost of living, etc. I would appreciate any information you guys can give. My email address is melonylockwood@yahoo.com -feel free to contact me.