Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

NFL football talk

Group Created by spartan5

A place to talk about all things related to the NFL. Anyone not being respectful to others will be removed from this group.

View All Members Showing 10 of 45 Member(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 1 to 10 of 54
  1. Balloonatic
    07-14-2012 02:28 PM - permalink
    Balloonatic
    Die hard NFL fan, College too. Like Denver and New Orleans. Play fantasy football.
    I haven't seen a fantasy page here yet, but I just joined 3 minutes ago.
    This is the first group I've joined. ...look fwd. to some good discussions this season.
  2. uncbert
    07-06-2012 03:19 AM - permalink
    uncbert
    Any Eagles fan's there?
  3. Jocelyners
    06-28-2012 02:00 AM - permalink
    Jocelyners
    Earnest TV that doesn't short change women

Recently, I just caught up with Mad Men. I find it fantastic in the same way I found Six Feet Under revelatory when I first watched it: not only do both series take themselves seriously, providing meaningful insights without overdoing the schmaltz factor, but they both feature strong (well-developed, not necessarily strong personality-wise) female characters. They also feel distinctly earnest, because the shows are never so campy or cloaked in irony that the emotional appeal gets distorted. I really value the ability of television to develop characters so thoroughly, and I believe that television is really well suited - moreso than other forms of media - to provide insight on human relationships. SFU and Mad Men do this in spades. I don't watch comedies that often, but I really enjoy Parks and Recreation because it manages to be funny without squandering that power.

Unfortunately, I've found that a lot of other acclaimed series who achieve that earnestness are centered around men to the point of silencing the female perspective. If a show is going to explore the complexities of human relationships and society, I need for it not to ignore or trivialize women. The Wire was a great series, but the ratio of male characters to female characters is about ten to one. I've only watched a little bit of Breaking Bad, which is similarly a sausage fest. On the other hand, I can't stand what's offered as the quintessential feminist show: the acting on Buffy makes me cringe, and the show is way too campy to have any sort of impact anyway. Comedies seem to be a little more equal-opportunity, but I really can't stand when something is built up to be emotional and then trivialized by a joke. (Community, I'm looking at you.)

I realize this is a little long-winded, but I until I saw Mad Men I forgot how much I could be wowed by a TV series. I'd like to feel that again.

Michael Kors
  4. Jocelyners
    05-23-2012 01:02 AM - permalink
    Jocelyners
    How is the public transportation in Los Angeles?
    Me and my husband are planning for a long weekend trip to Los angeles for sightseeing. Please tell me how effective is the public transportation in los angeles.
    Is it better to hire a cab or to depend on the public transport? (Budget will be a constraint but not a compromise)
    Also tell me the places that we shouldnt miss to see.

Nike Free Run
  5. Jocelyners
    05-23-2012 01:00 AM - permalink
    Jocelyners
    What part of los angeles is the big bang theory show located in?

I know the show is in los angeles but what part of los angeles.

Nike Free Run
  6. misscuriousity
    05-15-2012 04:41 PM - permalink
    misscuriousity
    Hi everyone! New to this group and new to the whole football thing in general. I live in a state that lives and dies for their college football team. I joined to learn the real ins and outs of the game. I think its an interesting, entertaining sport. A big fan of the new orleans saints, and the pittsburgh steelers. Hoping to learn from individuals in this group. Plus sports are good convo starters(ladies)
  7. trekshimalaya
    04-30-2012 11:58 PM - permalink
    trekshimalaya
    Trekking in Nepal is best travel activities whole in the world can harmonize the breathtaking beauty and charming culture of Nepal. Adventure enthusiasts talk wildly about it. And more and more tourists are planning for the trek in Nepal on the positive appraisals of others. In my point of Trekking in Nepal - Trekking in Himalaya, Travel Holiday in Nepal, Himalaya Holidays in Nepal, Himalaya Trekking in Nepal, Nepal Travel Holiday, Hiking in Nepal, Nepal Holiday, Adventure Trekking view trekking is the best way to experience the marvelous amalgamation of fantastic nature beauty and rich culture which is unbeatable. This beautiful land is often referred to as the travelers paradise. Annually more than twenty thousand travelers to Nepal and enjoy Adventure Trekking - Nepal Trekking, Holiday Walking Tours, Nepal Travel Information, Tours Trekking, Hiking Walking Tour, Nepal Tour, Adventures Trekking trekking to experience fantastic nature beauty, breathtaking views of mountains, picturesque landscapes, rich flora and fauna, vibrant culture, unique tradition and glorious history. Travelers leave this beautiful country with splendid tales to share with their family, relatives, colleagues and friends. You will love Nepal, it beauty, it culture and it friendly people. There are many trekking routes and locations in Nepal where travelers can seek their delights. Popular locations for Nepal Treks are following. Everest Base Camp Trek and Kalapatthar trekking for you to set up you mind for highest summit then it is the perfect and very exciting trek location in Everest region. It gives trekkers a golden opportunity to fulfill a dream and watching some of the most spectacular scenery in the majestic Himalayas of Nepal.
  8. zeanie
    04-16-2012 09:23 AM - permalink
    zeanie
    A Lions die hard fan,Steelers,& Peyton.
  9. hozrenjian
    04-11-2012 03:32 AM - permalink
    hozrenjian
    Want a good place to talk NFL and College Football?
  10. Oildog
    03-13-2012 11:08 AM - permalink
    Oildog
    Im guessing Payton goes to Denver. Good defense and some capable WRs in a weak division...could mean playoff runs...