U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Single Mothers Relocating

Group Created by Maqueta

This group has been formed to help single mothers find resources in other cities. Many women are relocating to create better lives for themselves as well as their children. This is a place where women can network, get advice, as well as offer support and encouragement to othee women.

View All Members Showing 10 of 372 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 25 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 21 to 30 of 184
  1. weareoregonians
    08-07-2014 12:44 PM - permalink
    weareoregonians
    If anyone is looking to move to Portland, OR or anywhere near the Metropolitan Area, we have created a really awesome and content packed "Free Portland City Guide". You can download it by simply clicking on the "Download" tab through our Facebook Page. Stop by anytime and download. Let us know what you think: www.FB.com/WeAreOregonians
  2. Peace & Harmony
    07-27-2014 11:41 PM - permalink
    Peace & Harmony
    Hello there, everyone...Hope you all are doing well. I am glad to come across this forum. It is comforting when you can connect with others in an unconditional environment, sharing great and rewarding advice and networking. Well to get started. I came across this forum because I am in the process of relocation. I currently live in a small southern town in Georgia, few hours from Florida state line. Life here is calm, I must say. But nothing at all to do, and nothing too career wise. I relocated to this southern town few years ago, due to domestic violence. Now that I have healed my situation, I am ready to move on. I am happy, yet emotional and anxious in this relocation process. At this point I know what I want, which is stability in a decent environment. But, I'm just being too hard on myself and over thinking, and exhausting my mind. To were I can't think properly. I have the choice to continue to be out here and live and be stable. But, in all honesty I would like to broaden my horizons in a place that will open new doors with opportunities I can grasp. I'm currently putting together my online boutique. Which down the line I will have both online and retail shop. Where I am at now, people aren't too fashion savvy. This I know my store wouldn't do well here. So, lately I narrowed my decision to two cities. Atlanta or Austin/Houston. My nationality is foreign, so I still wanted an ease in a cultural and diverse living. I would love to continue to be in a suburbia area, but not too far from foreign and diverse cultures. Which I've heard these cities have in common. I would love to hear feed backs on what you all may know about these cities. I plan on going in a week or so to visit physically, before making a stern and fitting decision.
  3. cookie110169
    07-27-2014 11:01 AM - permalink
    cookie110169
    hello my name is cookie, im a single mom relocated from new york to florida. I have three kids a daughter 24 which lives in new york and two boys who lives with me 19 and 8 years old. Im looking for a after school program for my 8 year old son can go to that picks up and drop off. I will appreciate it if anybody have any information . Thank you
  4. suckafreesi
    07-16-2014 09:49 PM - permalink
    suckafreesi
    Hello my name is Sierra. I'm a single mother of a daughter 7 and a son 6. I'm currently living in Atlantic City, NJ and I'm looking to relocate to a section of Florida that's close to the beach, with good schools, and a decent job market. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you
  5. Norhan
    06-28-2014 12:58 PM - permalink
    Norhan
    Hello Single Mothers,

I am so glad I came across this group because I feel that Single mothers Every where need some emotional support and Indeed I am one of them. I am a 36 year old single mother of a soon to be 14 year old son. I current am living at home with family overseas. I lived in U.S. from 1998 to 2007 close to ten years. I relate to Calibeauty25's story because I've faced some of the challanges that she did. I got married dropped out of college and had a son, divorced in 2004. prior to and after marriage I worked downtown Chicago in Conference Organization Sales an Marketing. I had a professional Job and life.. I had my own apartment and auto, and lived a decent life as I was brought out to be. We had joint custody but he would never let me see my son.. in a way i felt like my son was kidnapped from me. I tried going to differnt police stations to notify them when he wouldn't show up with my son on the dates he was supposed to be with me, but they needed a legal document from my lawyer stating so. I had already dropped my attorney so I would have had to rehire a new attorney. Lonliness in a huge City like Chicago was overbearing. I soon became depressed and disconnected because my son wasn't with me. I decided to move overseas and live with my family in 2007. Later on in 2010, My Ex decided to bring my son to me overseas. Since then my life had changed. I had become a mother again and my son and I are welcomed with my family, but it's not easy living with your parents an older sister and a brother. So I decided that it would be best if my son and I move back to the states. I am currently working as a Female security Guard with U.N. overseas. Pay is well and I don't pay high rent since I am with the Family so I am currently saving money to for Plane Tickets for my son and I to move back to the U.S. I was offered my Job back at the Conference company I was working for in 2007, so my previous full time job is still available for me. It's located in Downtown Chicago and that is the only reason I am willing to move to Chicago. Now I have money saved up for tickets and Apartment deposit and one or two months rent upon getting employed. I am having fears and doubts though about the whole move because I will have to enroll my son in 8th grade depending on when I move. I will probably make this move next Spring/Summer 2015.
    I'm planning on perhaps going back to college soon as I get settled, and hopefully my son can learn from me that he should depend on himself and be selfsufficient. Because back home where I am now, the culture teaches us to rely on family and in the REAL world, we must rely on ourselves. I am encouraged to make this move but very afraid that this will be the wrong move. For me and my son. A friend of mine mentioned that if I make any wrong move in my life in the U.S. or God forbid we have an accident...it could traumatize my son because we will be alone. I am full of worries and fear becuase it will be two of us on our own and because I have depression in my family. And there are no room for any mistakes because it could destory us. I really would love to be in touch with the single mothers on this website to see how they make it in the real world and I am willing to be of support to them and will appreciate it if I can get some suport and advice as well. I am interested in making long term friendships because I need all the single mothers support and to reach out to them as to me. I hope I hear from you guys soon. Regards, Norhan.
  6. Calibeauty25
    06-18-2014 06:48 AM - permalink
    Calibeauty25
    Good morning. I am new to this site and must say I was overjoyed to come across this group. I am 25, the single parent of an interesting little boy (6) and am fresh out of/currently trying to recover from-a 3 yr. relationship that has changed me as a person. I won't get to far into it but to make a long story short; I went from being an independent single mommy, working, going to school, paying bills-to a codependent mommy, unemployed, college drop out, only able to spend his money on agreed upon items. My ex, who has been my best friend since I was 17-has**with my permission**(I now realize)...... Fu**ed me all the way around. He wouldn't allow me to work or go to school or even go visit my family on my own. He told me who I could n couldn't be friends with, made me delete my Fb page, mind fu**ed me into believing I was incapable of making good decisions on my own. Whenever I would give my opinion on any given topic he would ridicule and criticize me about how immature and insane my way of thinking was.. There's so much to say but.. I don't wanna get too far off tract so- (thought**if ur reading this and thinking, "weak bi*ch"-I can't say Im mad. I'd say the same thing.. But please understand, I have been fending for myself (everything, food, shelter, clothes, money, pads, tampons, hygiene items etc. since I was 13) not complaining - simply assuring you that I am far from weak. Anyways.. Now that I am free from that nightmare, I'm lost.. I used to be outgoing, social and cheery. Now, I am fearful, I hate ppl & having to meet new ppl & I don't go to visit friends anymore bcuz I refuse to be someones "rain cloud". Misery loves company so therefore I keep everyone safe by staying away from them. I can't find a job bcuz I've been outta work for 3yrs. I've lost the ambition to educate myself. I can no longer provide for myself and my son on my own. Honestly, I feel like dying. But, im not allowed to die bcuz I have a son, so... Here I am.. In dyer need of... Something. Anything. Encouragement, constructive criticism, advise etc. Because this is my current situation; im couch surfing with my son. I have no job, not in school, no car etc. Well, the other day my dear friend and her husband (who is also my close friend) invited myself and my son to come out to Georgia and... Start fresh. I know I'm going to accept their offer bcuz... What have I got to loose. But, I've got some concerns.. 1)I have never left California (Vegas doesn't count) 2) I'm severely panophobic (fear of natural disasters) 3) although I'm blk & Puerto Rican-I look blk-all I know about the south is love n hip hop Atlanta, first 48, slavery of course... O! and fried chicken, gumbo, corn bread, greens etc.- I say all that to randomly say, "I am terrified that my son is going to come home from school and tell me that someone called him a ni**er. I wouldn't even know what to do! I'm 25 and have never been called a ni**er(to my face&#128522 4) my friends have 2 kids-girl and boy-both under 4..-I pray to the good lord above that them kids are well behaved bcuz.. I'm not the type of person to let someone else's kids run a muck or disrespect me simply bcuz they are not mine. *note*if I know, or feel like I know you well enough-I'll spank/time out/discipline your child if you won't. 5) I'm afraid to find a job bcuz since I haven't worked in so long I fear that I'm going to be lazy and not be able to keep up with normal work related demands. 6) I will be very lonely in Georgia bcuz I read an article about the out of control and growing HIV/AIDS cases in the south-infected gay men living heterosexual lives-AIDS, being infected with AIDS.. Is my worst fear in life. I already have it burned in my mind that every male in the state of Georgia is gay and infected with AIDS-so, like I was saying.. Im going to be very lonely in GA. anywho.. I've got many many more but I'll stop here.. Please! Comments, questions,feedback, advise, whatever.. Are you from Cali & living in GA? Found resources that maybe I could also benefit from? Anything! Mmkay.. That is all for now. Thank you.
  7. saeedab
    05-20-2014 04:23 PM - permalink
    saeedab
    How do you respond to posts in this group? I've tried several times but I keep coming up short. Is anyone else having this issue?
  8. kayak nurse
    04-08-2014 03:33 PM - permalink
    kayak nurse
    Hi guys. (I'm from the west coast and thats what we say to both men and women.)
    I'm getting a job offer from a hospital at the cusp of 285 and 75 in Atlanta and hoping to relocate within the next two months from Dallas. I am single, older, 5 grown children (and 8 grandchildren) scattered between Virginia, San Francisco and Dallas, love the outdoors (mountains, kayaking hiking) and fellowshipping with fellow believers. My thinking from everything that I have read is that with the traffic being absurdly horrific (its bad here for evening rush hour as well) I need to move fairly close to the area.
    Any Ideas about communities north of the perimeter that are lovely, safe and fairly inexpensive?
  9. Alexa77
    04-03-2014 01:46 PM - permalink
    Alexa77
    Hello there:
    I am a single mother of two ( 17 & 3 ) leaving in NY . I am considering to move to FL I have started doing my research. This is a long term goal for next year. I would like to hear some advice regarding which area would be the best I am just tired of this weather in NY and it is also so expensive and stressful. Looking forward to a peaceful and better quality of life for me and my kids. Thanks for your thoughts!!!
  10. Lucy31
    04-01-2014 07:05 PM - permalink
    Lucy31
    Hello there,
    I am a single mother of two boys, one who is 21 and my youngest is 11. Who I have care for and raised on my own for over 21 years along with caring for my 62 year old mother. I was laidoff in October of 2013. For a few years I have been wanting to move back to Florida where me and my family lived for a year. But since only having unemployment coming in. It is hard for me to pay my bills at the same time save up to move to Florida. I have applying for jobs here in Illinois and Florida, but only have had luck in Florida. but once I inform the hiring person or company that I am still living in Illinois I get the message let us know when you have moved to Florida. But how can i do that if I am having a hard time getting what I need to move there. Does anyone have any ideas or any information on open position and apartments that will rent month by month just so I can try to get down there and have the positive part " living in Florida". Look forward to your reply s, Thank you.