Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Pet Rescue

Group Created by Sam I Am

This group will be to explore the challenges and issues concerning rescue of all animals and maybe do a little networking on placement of unwanted pets. I'd ask that you keep instructional type posts on pet ownership to the main Pets forum and let's let this one be where fellow rescuers gather and brainstorm for solutions! Placements, transport, and various rescue goals will be discussed. However, we will not allow Do Not Adopts or any slamming or derogatory comments toward a particular rescue group.

Invite your friends!

View All Members Showing 10 of 165 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 32 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 21 to 30 of 209
  1. hapy2gthr
    09-11-2009 09:26 AM - permalink
    hapy2gthr
    This is a very sad letter I really hate writing, but I need to. I have a chiwhawha, black & white, named Prissy, about 7 yrs old, and a calico cat, gold & white with some black (very beautiful) named Cali, around the same age, that my Mother left here when she passed last December. I love them both, but we can't afford to keep them up on their Vet needs. They are both precious. We live in Shawnee, KS. I'd hate to drop them off at a pound. Don't want that. I'm in a quandary. Any help out there?
  2. sharon43
    09-04-2009 04:30 PM - permalink
    sharon43
    Sounds like awesome work! I absolutely have loved animals since I can remember. My poor family has had every kind of animal known adopted. I took in so many strays growing up! Thanks for your contribution to our animals!
    Blessings,
    Sharon
  3. ClaytonDreamer44
    09-02-2009 12:05 PM - permalink
    ClaytonDreamer44
    I love animals. i saved a dog that was on the freeway. she was a Huskey mix. she looked really hungry. I named her misty and now she lives with a 5 year old girl named katlyn. They r best friends now.
  4. seaski2008
    08-23-2009 11:50 PM - permalink
    seaski2008
    Hello All! I'm in Seattle and looking for a small dog to adopt. I've always had newfies and vizsla's, but now living in an apartment and need a smaller dog. I haven't had a dog in a long time, but am thinking that now is a good time since I'm retired and have plenty of time to spend with my new pal. If you know of a small dog that needs a very good home in the seattle area, please let me know. I'll also be going to the shelter tomorrow but wanted to post here also.
  5. The Cats' Advocate
    08-02-2009 04:14 PM - permalink
    The Cats' Advocate
    Dear All, I am looking for a home for a 1 year old male stray cat that came to our backyard (a poor guy who had been kicked out from a home). We call him Walter; he is very affectionate with people but very territory with other cats. Walter tested FIV positive (similar to HIV but not transmittable to humans or other species). We can't leave him outside as he defends "his home" against any other cat. Walter can stay until the end of this week at our neighbor's in a cage (our house is already full with 6 cats... all strays that were sick and there is not one single room left :-). If we don't find a place for him we will have to put him down. Not fair, as he is healthy besides his FIV status! If you or one of your friends are interested please leave a message that I can contact you. Thanks The Cats' Advocate NB don't know how to include a picture, what a shame!
  6. Amazonchix
    07-13-2009 06:55 AM - permalink
    Amazonchix
    Anyone in the Eastern Arkansas, Western Oklahoma area?

Friends of ours have 13 dogs currently being held in two holding pins that have been dumped rurally on a mountain where they live. The dogs were emaciated. Our friends already own 5 dogs, have a foster dog (tree walker coonhound), a cat and several horses. Our friends do not have access to a shelter. The closest one is over an hour away and they are not in the jurisdiction to utilize it. They have also tried to take legal action as they know who did the dumping of the dogs, but have been told there is nothing the Sheriff can do.

We have helped them make arrangements for getting all the animals s/n and vaccinated in the next few weeks. They mostly are smaller dogs under 20lbs and one that I know is about 45lb.

Anyone know of any rescues that would be willing to take full vetted animals??? Eight of the dogs are small puppies. They are only about 2 lbs. Anyone interested in fostering or know someone who is???? I'd be willing to help transport if needed. Please DM me if you are interested or can help place some of these dogs with new homes, rescues or fosters. I know we all have full houses, but didn't know if anyone would know someone through someone. THANKS so much for reading this!
  7. Amazonchix
    07-08-2009 11:37 AM - permalink
    Amazonchix
    ChelleB~
    You may have already approached this, but have you contacted any of the local city shelters in Florida and asked their opinion...or maybe for a list of all Florida shelters in the state and you can mark them on a map and start there.
  8. ChelleB
    07-07-2009 05:02 PM - permalink
    ChelleB
    I am currently in the process of looking to move in the state of Florida and am planning to devote most my free time and money to rescuing/rehabilitating dogs. Does anyone have any suggestions about areas that are lacking in humane shelters with the land possible for this?
  9. zugor
    06-24-2009 08:24 PM - permalink
    zugor
    I'm working on getting 1 dog added to a 2 dog transport that is running from SC to NY this weekend. It looks like it might work. Several legs still open and I've agreed to overnight the first 2 dogs Saturday night. Since this Sat is also our adoption day at Petsmart it means that when I get home from that I'll have to immediately unload all the supplies that I bring - canopy, table, chairs, X-pen and of course my foster dog so that I can go pick up the 2 guests. Guess that's what I get for owning a Suburban and having a big garage that can store our supplies.

In the morning I'll need to get all 3 up to Roanoke for an 8 am departure which means rolling down my driveway no later than 6:30. I just have to remember that 3 dogs who where sitting in high kill shelters will all get to live wonderful lives and then getting up early is still tough but so worth it.

I will probably take a nap later that day though.
  10. karibear
    06-21-2009 05:32 PM - permalink
    karibear
    I've always preferred the black dogs, too. My 3 are [1] mostly lab/nawfie, [2] golden/gsd with gsd markings, and [3] a beagle, but mostly black. The other critters are different colors - the cockatoo is white, of course, the horse is a pinto, and the goats either black and white or black and tan. The goats aren't rescues, but the nanny was rescued by the woman I got them from. I did a lot of rescue in Alaska, some fostering in WA, but now since I can no longer drive, I let them come to me, which they do. I think it's the invisible *SUCKER* tattoo on my forehead!