Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 07:42 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,578,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
IF Bulldog is from California and IF he traveled to Saskatchewan to get the moose I doubt he did it for the meat but for the enjoyment of the hunt and the kill. Which is OK with me; how this fella is wired is his affair.

Interesting though that he describes himself as a psycho. Odd.
The problem is that CA is so hard to hunt in now. Most the hunters I used to go out with go out of state because it is so unreasonable here. I still have access and permission to hunt in some coastal grape vineyards. My father in law and I hunt deer in Yosemite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 08:37 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,718,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What you think is irrelevant...

Then why discuss anything? Taking your point to it's logical conclusion we might as well all shut up and keep our own counsel. But that's not why we come here; we come here to discuss things.

In any event if a fella wants to travel a long distance to hunt a certain animal that's his affair. But I suspect it's for the hunt itself more than the meat. And he need not apologize for enjoying the hunt itself. I'm very much pro hunting; it's a natural thing.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,935,411 times
Quote:
IF Bulldog is from California and IF he traveled to Saskatchewan to get the moose I doubt he did it for the meat but for the enjoyment of the hunt and the kill. Which is OK with me; how this fella is wired is his affair.

Interesting though that he describes himself as a psycho. Odd.
Well, so far as I know thar's not many moose in Cal... One just might need to do a little travlin if you want the best meat there is bar none on earth.

Each and every meal you feed your family after a hunt does lend to memories of that hunt, the natural things a man is a part of unlike his city dwellin brethern who pay someone else to raise and butcher their meats.

And those who are veggieheads also eat animal parts, it almost can't be otherwise unless you grow every bit of what you eat. And then if these veggieheads are ladies who use make up, they are not animal parts free at all!

Tom you are the devils own work to understand. I try i really do, but you are a real odd duck.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Tom you are the devils own work to understand. I try i really do, but you are a real odd duck.

Well thanks for trying Mac. And for keeping it civil.

Kind Regards.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:14 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,640,502 times
As long as hunters are following all local, state and federal laws their reasons for hunting are their own. I respect all the view points positive to the lawful taking game whether for trophy, meat or both. I am glad my post spurred such thoughtful debate.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:28 PM

Tom I got no need to flame, but I do have one to change yer bloomin mind. It would be easier if I could just let you shoot my guns. I shot one today, one I haven;'t picked up in around 6 yhears, mainly because I lent it to my son, He restocked the barrel and did stuff to his stock, then did another remodel and I got my action back, and oput my scope on my old stock, he didn't want the stock I have. But I never sited the scope till this evening. I did that because some evil demon is eatting my taters and pushing my corn over otherwise untouched and if I see what ever evil varmint it is I intend to waste it.

If I can eat it I will, I will use its bones too, and it skin, if I can. I took a target that has 5 zones, and in the first zone I fired twice hitting 2 inches right and 2 inches high, but I couldn't get my eye to adjust on the stock where I cheek.

I got tools and moved the scope straighter and forward 1.5 inches, and shot zone 2. Still left and high, so I adjusted the scope left 2 clicks and moved to zone 3, better but still right and still high.

I adjusted left 1 click and down 1 click and shot zone 4 better lots better and left it there to shoot zone 5. There I used a 6 O'Clock hold rather than dead on in the bull. That got me 5 in a inch bull. Short distance but my garden isn't that big. only 60 x 100.

looks like I am sleepin in the van tonight.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Tom I got no need to flame, but I do have one to change yer bloomin mind. It would be easier if I could just let you shoot my guns.
I'm not sure what we disagree about.

I haven't shot in several years but I still own a 1918 vintage SMLE and a pump shotgun.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what we disagree about.

I haven't shot in several years but I still own a 1918 vintage SMLE and a pump shotgun.
I am not a women, so at the moment I don't know what it is we disagree on either. Next time I will be sure to mock you out so you know. LOL

I am not about to go looking back and find out either.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:21 AM

46,258 posts, read 27,035,415 times
Quote:
Then why discuss anything?
Your thoughts on "How" you think someone feels or "what" someone does to accomplish something, can be said about anything in this world.....

If you live in California, and go to Nevada to buy a car with CASH, then that would be the same thing....

Again it's my twisted way of thinking....I also love to hunt, will teach my son to hunt and hopefully get my wife involved...the difference will be, they will both understand that hunting is only to be done if the meat is going to be consumed.....

Now, if they happen to acquire a rather large trophy while doing it, then so be it.....again the same thing, if you were going out to buy a Cadillac and someone offered you a MayBach for the same price as the Caddie, would you not feel just amazing and a sense of accomplishment?

Sorry, my way of thinking...

Old 08-22-2010, 03:50 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,843,458 times
If you have any reliable data correlating hunters with income, educational attainment, professional status, or normed intelligence scales, please present it.

If most of the people in your social circle are have impeccable pedigrees, it would not be surprising if most of the hunters you know have impeccable pedigrees. But that is useless data, and anecdotal evidence.

Since hunting is a relatively expensive pastime, there no doubt are a lot of hunters who are affluent enough to afford to outfit themselves. On the other hand, most poachers are probably poor. There is a fine line between hunters and poachers. The detail of license and season differ. And, there is a difference in intent. Hunters kill because they love to kill, and it gives them prestige in a society that loves to kill. Poachers kill out of economic need. They are capitalist entrepreneurs, who are not allowed to dine among the capitalists entrepreneurs at the country club, who hunt, and who have become rich at the expense of people, not animals.

What the OP has done is to take a large category (people who kill animals with a gun), and subdivide it into the rich (who hunt) and the poor (who poach) and then revealed the certain results: the rich hunt.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-22-2010 at 04:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting