U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:11 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,341,860 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any day-to-day experience with recent Charter Arms handguns? I know they are definitely not Smiths, but I have a friend/customer who wants a relatively inexpensive and compact personal protection handgun. It's got to be a revolver, and I'm suggesting the new Patriot in .327 Federal for this woman, who is somewhat recoil sensitive. (she did not like even my full-size SA XD(M) in 9mm; "Recoil's too scary!" she said!)

My own S&W Titanium J frame in .32 H&R Mag, is "just right" as momma bear would say. And of course it's very well built, but you do pay for 1) the S&W name, and 2) for titanium/scandium. Result: an 11 oz weapon (unloaded), while the new Charter Arms Patriot 2.2" bbl is 23 oz, so recoil, even with the new .327 Fed, should be quite manageable. (BTW, that new round propels a 115 gr JHP out @ ≈1300 fps. Should get someone's attention, huh?)

I'd also tune the main spring and trigger springs down to reduce that "legal" 10 lb DA pull weight, and that 5 - 6 lb SA trigger, down to, say, 7 lb and 4 lb, like my Smith. And there's a Crimson Trace laser available for it down the road.

So, any comments about build and finish quality, trigger, accuracy (not really an issue @ 5 - 7 yards, but still...).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Good shootin' guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 06:38 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,168,387 times
no experience, but i did purchase a cobra arms, which is another one of the less expensive, albeit american made revolvers, for my wife. I would not have done so, if there was ANY doubt in my mind. They are solidly built and designed to work. After all, it IS a revolver..

Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 PM

Yeah, I've seen the ads for those recently, but they don't seem to have any history, and I also want to be able to recommend a Crimson Trace laser sight fro this customer in a year or so. Not sure if CT makes a model for the "off brands", unless they really turn out to be popular.

I know the older Charter Arms .44 bulldogs were OK, but very rough and without a smooth DA trigger. It's hard if you've experienced a Smith & Wesson (esp, if it was, as my first one was, a Model 29...) all the big N frame magnum's triggers were hand-tuned, back when they could throw individual hand-labor at them.

I also looked for a used Colt Python, but apparently that's not gonna happen! Those are SCARCE! You gotta think that, if you do find one, it may be thrashed. Love that hammer and trigger though. Too bad they had to stop making them!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:38 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,168,387 times
there's a python for sale on a website i frequent, 1500 obo

Old 08-03-2010, 12:31 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,219,361 times
I had a Python. It never really impressed me to fire it, it was pretty to look at and hold. Colt has their rifling in a counter direction than Smith or Ruger, recoil always felt odd.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,925,997 times
Those Pythons were beautifully made and pretty, but they are scarce now and expensive when you find one.

I have a .44 Taurus with a 3" barrel, and it kicks! Harder than my .357 Mag, althoug its 8" barrel undoubtedly helps. It's amazing how much difference there is between a .38 Spl and .44 Spl. in felt recoil.

rifleman, that .327 Federal sounds great! I suppose it's a revolver-only round. We'll see how well it catches on.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:58 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,111,839 times
OP, This day and age I'd suggest your friend stick with a commonly available ammunition round. Just sayin.....

I'd also suggest a revolver with the full 3" ejector rod for faster shell ejection and reloading since this is apparently being purchased for personal protection.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,219,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
,,I'd also suggest a revolver with the full 3" ejector rod for faster shell ejection and reloading since this is apparently being purchased for personal protection.
Pretty sure my ejector rod on my Redhawk is about a 1 1/4". Never seen a 3" except maybe a single action.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,925,997 times
If you need to reload during a personal protection incident, you're in a heap of trouble.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:23 PM

Default Some new info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
OP, This day and age I'd suggest your friend stick with a commonly available ammunition round. Just sayin.....

I'd also suggest a revolver with the full 3" ejector rod for faster shell ejection and reloading since this is apparently being purchased for personal protection.
Just FYI: the .327 Federal has become almost instantly popular in it's single first years of production. Even it's predecessor, the .32 H&R Mag, has finally developed a pretty loyal following, more so now that it's found it's way into the SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) fellowship. Within that group, the now out-of-production Ruger Single-Six SA revolver in .32, and the Marlin lever action rifle in this same cartridge, are both rare but sought after. Hamilton Bowen, one of the high-end revolver customizers, is actively buying the Single Sixes wherever he can find them in order to convert them to the newer, longer .327 Federal round.

That new one, BTW, offers about 22% more energy than a +P .38 Spl.!! Federal can't make the ammo fast enough. Even Starline, who just makes brass, has had to rramp up production.

The original 32 H&R offers low recoil, high velocity, accuracy, low recoil. My S&W Titanium J Frame in .32 H&R has one extra round over a similar 5 shot .38 Spl version, with essentially the same ft-lb of energy as a standard V .38 spl with a 125 gr bullet, and has less recoil.

So the "common round" concern has, I feel, been satisfied, and it's also a round that's more compatible for a smaller-framed woman who is perhaps intimidated by the extra recoil of the .38. (I know, I know; with training, she could learn to handle my compact .45 Para auto, but why start out with a hand-wrencher. After all, we could go out to the range with my 8 3/4" Freedom Arms 454 Casull too.... Yowzwer von Howitzer!; now THAT's no phunn!).

BTW, Ruger just announced their Blackhawk single action in .327 Federal as well. So it seems to be establishing itself. I called Marlin and they said they were seriously considering chambering their 1894 lever rifle in this round. That should produce about 1700 fps with a 115 gr jacketed bullet.

catman, I also have a drop-in speed loader for my J frame. I punch out the spent 6 rounds when I pop the revolver open, and align and drop 6 more in there. Takes about 3 - 4 seconds max. I know my 19 + 1 9mm XD(M) has got a lot more capacity, but I also think the fully loaded 9mm XD(M) magazine alone probably weights more than my entire J Frame with 6 rounds! After all, yah gotta carry these things around, right?

I hope that the mere presence of a visible firearm, or a few well placed warning or direct-hit rounds will stop the fight. I dearly hope to NOT have to get into a prolonged (i.e.: multi-reload event) firefight out in a dark alley (we don't even have those in my little town; just the sagebrush out past thu' saloon!!)

That's also why I like my "mere" 7 round Para LDA in .45ACP. That big ol' barrel bore-hole pointin' at'cha should dissuade most interlopers from their original intent to mess with "that older gentleman staggering along the sidewalk..".

Anyhow, I just recieved the Charter Arms .32 Undercover snubbie. It's relatively "coarse" compared to the Smith or even a Taurus but I can tune it and smooth it up a bit. The cyl lockup is also less than perfect, but again, it's workable and way less expensive. About $250 less in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting