Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There's ranges here that have no such silly rules. Some are open to anyone, some are membership. But I don't bother with any of them, we have hundreds of thousands of acres of public land in this state on which to shoot...and with our terrain, it's easy to find a good hill for a safe backstop...

I read these stories all over about crappy ranges forcing people to buy ammo, rules like no FM's or even no machineguns...and I just don't get it...
If you live in Portland, Oregon, you can drive up into the National Forest around Mt Hood and find tons of places to shoot. And nobody will bother you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 AM

385 posts, read 859,056 times
I use a police range ( outdoor ) for my .40 cal. S&W and my rifle, but for some reason they got upset when I fired my AK-47 and destroyed the target retainer ( no I didn't fire it on full auto ), they asked me not to bring this here again.
I also use a breach and clear range near me for practice with my 12 guage, all very good ranges, but no reloads welcome.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:59 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Why did you destroy their stuff? They might have asked you not to bring it anymore because you couldn't shoot it responsibly.
At any rate your post is a good example I think of why ranges come up with rules we might think stupid.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:28 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
I fired my AK-47 and destroyed the target retainer), they asked me not to bring this here again
Gee, I wonder why they did that, you can't control your weapon and you destroyed their property, at least they didn't ban you altogether
Would you welcome someone back in your house that came in and punched a hole in a wall?

Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
I've found that outdoor ranges are a little more relaxed than indoor ranges. Indoor ranges feel like someone is standing over your shoulder, and you can't move around or socialize. Outdoor ranges seem to keep it safe and manage to make it enjoyable, too. Indoor requires FMJ whereas outdoor it doesn't seem to matter, for example. Outdoor ranges seem to have good ol' boys running them while indoor ranges seem to have uptight, gungho, toolbags working there, IMO.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
I use a police range ( outdoor ) for my .40 cal. S&W and my rifle, but for some reason they got upset when I fired my AK-47 and destroyed the target retainer ( no I didn't fire it on full auto ), they asked me not to bring this here again.
I also use a breach and clear range near me for practice with my 12 guage, all very good ranges, but no reloads welcome.

I find that odd. If you didn't wreck their stuff with a rifle round for pistol only targets, then bring a winchester 30-30 and see what happens.

The ballistics are very close between the 7.62x39 and the 30-30.

Once I wrecked a spinner steel target, but I didn't know I would. The guys who owned it dared me to hit it with a .62 cal flintlock. I was using a light load of just 40 grains of FFg black powder.

They were shooting their target with .35 winchester rifle rounds from a TC single shot pistol. I had no idea a .600 round ball was going to bend the spinner and bend the legs of the device a bit. I offered to pay for it, but was turned down.

They had no idea that I would really hit their target thinking flintlocks were not any good at aiming, and could not harm a heavy built steel spinner. The one fact is, I totalled that spinner to the point it wasn't worth fixing.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Sounds like the Portland, Oregon I know. If you are willing to live in an area inhabited by a large number of liberals, you have to put up with their attitudes. Where I live, none of that stuff applies. I'm on our park board, so I'm hoping none of that stuff will ever apply. We restrict tracer ammo because of fire danger, but other than that, you shoot what you want and what you bring. You pay $60 a year to belong to our park, or $6 a visit to use the shooting ranges. We have a busy park, almost every weekend some kind of shooting sport is taking place. Sporting Clays, Cowboys CAS Matches, Steel, Bowling Pins, IPSC, and many other forms of shooting take place. We have a nice club house, those of us who are Cowboys enjoy a free lunch after our monthly matches which occur every two weeks.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I frankly have seen so many idots on public ranges :I only do my shooting on private club range.I can not believe some of the idots that showup with the dollars to shoot and what they do. I value my life more than that.That is why they have to have all the rules from learning that its the human behind the guns that is most dangerous;much like vehicles.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:01 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Boomerang is just the word for what I did to that spinner. Plus bent the legs over hard. I had no idea I would wreck it, and the .35 Winchester rnds didn't. That target wasn't ment for a .22.

I felt really poorly about wrecking that target too. If I could i would buy another for those guys.

Ricochet I did once too, proofing this

.62 cal, I like to proof real easy, and this time used 10 grains of FFFg (3 F) Goex. I shot a rough cut white pine board and the ball bounced off after going most of the way thru, and hit me at the same level I fired from smack dead center in the chest, right next to my still extended arm, and that knocked me down flat.

Never again have I loaded that little to proof, and never again have I set up a target board dead vertical. I make sure any target boards are softer and slanted. 20 grains is the std load in 3F for this pistol. With no sites on it at all it hits well to 25 yards.

This type of Naval officers pistol was made for getting paniced saliors to return to the battle at hand. It didn't need any sites.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
I don't know if it helps with any of your gripes, but I generally find that outdoor ranges are much more laid back (while also safe) compared to indoor ranges.

I went to an indoor range and they wouldn't let my buddy bring his 9mm carbine onto the range because "rifles weren't allowed." I'm suppose rifle ammo might not be appropriate on a range meant for pistols, but what difference does it make if the bullet is coming out of a rifle versus a pistol when it's the same 9mm... except for a nominal difference in muzzle velocity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting