Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Had a Revolver of theirs which would tie up after a couple cylinders.

Once it cooled down it was fine.

Seen MANY of their Semi Autos fail in training.

I was thinking about one of their 1911's with a rail. Figured I could replace many parts and come out ahead.

Looking at one....

The Sites dovetail were cut VERY crooked.

IF THAT will get through their 'quality control'

Friends don't let friends carry Tauruses...

This is why I love this type of forum...all aspects...and from all types of people....the good and the bad....

If people get mad because they ask a question...they have problems....I ask questions casue I want KNOWLEDGE!!!!!!

Thanks again all....keep the comments comming though....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
I had a Taurus revolver, too. I didn't shoot it enough to have an actual malfunction, but there's just a feeling of quality in the mechanics that wasn't there like it was when the wheel of my S&W turned with the trigger pull. There was a fealing of precision in the operation of the S&W while the Taurus just fealt sloppy. That "fealing" may not mean much for practical purposes, but it does for peace of mind. And isn't that what owning a pistol is really about - peace of mind?

Shoot a Taurus and then shoot a Sig Sauer, a Kimber, or an S&W and tell me you don't feel a difference.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
they are not reliable, nor is most 22 ammo now days.
Please forgive the thread drift, but what .22lr ammo is best these days?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
What are you feeding it too?

My Ruger 22/45 will shoot ANYTHING you put in it....I buy the bulk 550 rounds at wal-mart and no problems yet...that is just for target...I don't hunt or anything like that...

Some rifle/pistols are picky...you have to find out what is best...go buy 1 of every type and then decide which is more accurate for yuo pisrol/rifle....

Old 02-10-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I had a Taurus revolver, too. I didn't shoot it enough to have an actual malfunction, but there's just a feeling of quality in the mechanics that wasn't there like it was when the wheel of my S&W turned with the trigger pull. There was a fealing of precision in the operation of the S&W while the Taurus just fealt sloppy. That "fealing" may not mean much for practical purposes, but it does for peace of mind. And isn't that what owning a pistol is really about - peace of mind?

Shoot a Taurus and then shoot a Sig Sauer, a Kimber, or an S&W and tell me you don't feel a difference.
I'm not going to spend $800 plus on a pistol....thats just out of my range....

Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post

You need to define "best". Like Chuck I but alot of bulk 22 at Walmart. Mostly federal but I have a thousand or so Winchesters too. I like them for plinking, they are very reliable in all our 22's including a 10/22, a Henry youth lever action, a Ruger single six, Ruger MK2, Marlin 39M and a couple single shot bolt guns. The 39M seems to like the Federals alot but all are acurate enough for plinking or small game.

On the other hand I have friends that need at least 1/2" 25 yard groups. They NEED to search out ammo for individual guns. Sometimes it turns out yhat a lot of cheap ammo will be good for them but mostly they end up with more expensive ammo. No biggie because they dont shoot as much. I might go thru over a box of 550 if my boys come to the range with me while they MIGHT shoot 50 rounds in an afternoon.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I'm not going to spend $800 plus on a pistol....thats just out of my range....

How much did you spend on your TV?

I have a pistol from the 1800's that was passed down. Still works.

Price broken down over decades... it's cheap.

- I don't skimp on 'life support equipment'

Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
How much did you spend on your TV?

I have a pistol from the 1800's that was passed down. Still works.

Price broken down over decades... it's cheap.

- I don't skimp on 'life support equipment'
As much as I like guns, I just don't shhot them enough to pay that much...

I don't spend a whole lot of time in front of the TV either....but whe nI do I like to veiw it in quality....I spent a little over $1000 on my TV...

I understand that can go both ways,

So, let ask you this, if you had a choice of

Browning Hi Power Pistols, Product Family

or

this pistol....(Sorry my work filters would not let me go to a link for this pistol)

*** HI Power Clone....9JK-9BR

The *** is a clone of the Browning...parts off of each will fit on either pistol....

The current Hi-Power Browning cost around $800

The *** cost around $200-$300 when you can find them...

Which would you choose....

Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
I've picked up about 6 Hi Power's over the years.

$435 was the MOST expensive, and that was an $800 Nazi marked Hi Power.

There's alot of Belgium made Izzy contract Hi Powers reciently imported... They go for around $400.

That would be my choice. I picked up one (Refinished) in EXCELLENT condition for $385.

The Izzi's come with a larger safety and larger 3 dot sites.
Take out the mag safety and carry on.
(I assume you'd not want to spend the $ on night sites)

Old 02-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I've picked up about 6 Hi Power's over the years.

$435 was the MOST expensive, and that was an $800 Nazi marked Hi Power.

There's alot of Belgium made Izzy contract Hi Powers reciently imported... They go for around $400.

That would be my choice. I picked up one (Refinished) in EXCELLENT condition for $385.

The Izzi's come with a larger safety and larger 3 dot sites.
Take out the mag safety and carry on.
(I assume you'd not want to spend the $ on night sites)
Where are you from....the lowest I've seen here (still there) at a store right now and it is close to $900 here in Huntsville AL.....and it did not look that good...

And these are Browning Hi-Powers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting