U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2011, 01:56 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,406,973 times
Reputation: 5753

Advertisements

Ok, y'all...

Until I can come up with a good poll, here is a video clip I thought some of my fellow Texans might get (literally) a kick out of.

Apprently, these fellows have been tricked into firing a .500 Nitro Express. An elephant gun. Only one ol' boy handles it...and I bet he is a Texan! LOL

Seriously, this is hilarious (even if a little lengthy):


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD-KaUl_olo

I will say for the record, call me a wimp or whatever, but I will stick with the 30.06 as my ultimate. LOL

Last edited by Bo; 02-20-2011 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Moved from Texas forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2011, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 22,346,222 times
Reputation: 5096
To quote W. C. Fields, "Great Mother of Pearl!" No way does that look like a fun experience. My 7mm Rem Mag is plenty for me to handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 06:41 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,609,526 times
Reputation: 2569
I think thats a 577 T-Rex.
.577 Tyrannosaur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4juEIK_zRM

On another note its just a gun & they obviously chose some pretty inexperienced shooters for this clip. I'v seen people act similarly to 30/30's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 07:46 AM
 
37,017 posts, read 19,676,056 times
Reputation: 8128
Yea, that is funny....I would not want to shoot that....

You should check out the 2 bore on youtube....



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQvkr...eature=related

Just one of many....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,308 posts, read 35,013,248 times
Reputation: 7115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I think thats a 577 T-Rex.
.577 Tyrannosaur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4juEIK_zRM

On another note its just a gun & they obviously chose some pretty inexperienced shooters for this clip. I'v seen people act similarly to 30/30's.
I couldn't stop laughing at that video the first time I saw it (approximately 2002).

That's a good point about inexperienced shooters: a lot of those guys appear to be utilizing the classic "Girly Stance" in which the leading edge of the pelvis is ahead of the cheek-weld (not good - see 2:00 for textbook depiction) and some of those guys are hopeless because the recoil probably exceeds 50% of their total weight (you need some help from inertia).

In case LifelongMOgirl gives me crap about saying "Girly Stance", I know there are 10 year old girls that can hit steel at >800 yards and can do so a lot better than I can. Those girls are exclaimed from the "Girly Stance" definition and, obviously, a lot of men are not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Columbia, California
6,663 posts, read 26,843,369 times
Reputation: 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
,,In case LifelongMOgirl gives me crap about saying "Girly Stance", I know there are 10 year old girls that can hit steel at >800 yards and can do so a lot better than I can. Those girls are exclaimed from the "Girly Stance" definition and, obviously, a lot of men are not...
I was at a shooting fair, lined up to shoot a 460 weatherby. This one little girl was shooting that rifle round after round where many men were shaking after one round. The men fought it, where the girl knew not to fight it but to control it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,609,526 times
Reputation: 2569
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I was at a shooting fair, lined up to shoot a 460 weatherby. This one little girl was shooting that rifle round after round where many men were shaking after one round. The men fought it, where the girl knew not to fight it but to control it.

Exactly, you cant stop it you just need lean into it a little & go with it. Recoil can sure hurt but it shouldn't knock you down, the bullet is long gone before it can actually push you over. Many of the guys in that video were ready to drop the gun from the git go.

That said the worst recoiling thing I'v felt was my 870 Express with 12 gauge mag slugs from a bench. Standing I can shoot quite a few but from the bench a half dozen kicked my butt good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM
 
31,372 posts, read 32,695,724 times
Reputation: 14904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
That's a good point about inexperienced shooters: a lot of those guys appear to be utilizing the classic "Girly Stance" in which the leading edge of the pelvis is ahead of the cheek-weld (not good - see 2:00 for textbook depiction) and some of those guys are hopeless because the recoil probably exceeds 50% of their total weight.
Well you are right, their stance would be great for an Anschutz .22, because standing the way they are with their weight behind their centerline a 12 gauge would kick their asses. Speaking of which, the .577 is putting out over three times the energy of a 3" magnum .12 gauge sabot. Frankly, while imagine that I would love to have one if I were faced with a charging Rhino or Cape Buffalo, where the adrenaline wouldn't make me care about the recoil... I wouldn't be firing it at the range often... not that I could afford the rounds if I wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 05:51 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,609,526 times
Reputation: 2569
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well you are right, their stance would be great for an Anschutz .22, because standing the way they are with their weight behind their centerline a 12 gauge would kick their asses. Speaking of which, the .577 is putting out over three times the energy of a 3" magnum .12 gauge sabot. Frankly, while imagine that I would love to have one if I were faced with a charging Rhino or Cape Buffalo, where the adrenaline wouldn't make me care about the recoil... I wouldn't be firing it at the range often... not that I could afford the rounds if I wanted to.

Probably weighs 3 times as much as an 870 express as well, I'm not going to try to say its a light recoiling gun, thats ridiculous. But it certainly wont be as theatrical as the clip if shot correctly. At any rate I doubt many use it as a plinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,308 posts, read 35,013,248 times
Reputation: 7115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Exactly, you cant stop it you just need lean into it a little & go with it. Recoil can sure hurt but it shouldn't knock you down, the bullet is long gone before it can actually push you over. Many of the guys in that video were ready to drop the gun from the git go.

That said the worst recoiling thing I'v felt was my 870 Express with 12 gauge mag slugs from a bench. Standing I can shoot quite a few but from the bench a half dozen kicked my butt good.
I goose hunt with a 10 gauge BPS (and sometimes during late duck season when the birds get pretty wary and don't decoy well) and I always thought the recoil was nothing too spectacular. I patterned it with a turkey load last spring - let me tell you, a cold, aimed shot with no "hunter's focus" or adrenaline to help you ignore the slap was a very different experience. It hurt from my shoulder to my cheek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top