Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:45 AM

8,950 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

My wife, who is in her early 60's, has a Ruger 10/22 rifle w/scope and a Sig Sauer Mosquito .22 pistol, can shoot both rather good and is getting better with each trip to our local Range. We have two other rifles, but that are too heavy for her, so, for now, she sticks with the Ruger and Mosquito.
When we go to our Range, we only see a couple of ladies shooting and (personally) I think that is a total shame! Target shooting, hunting and fishing are not just men's sports anymore! Guess I'm just lucky that my wife loves shooting and fishing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
She can still shoot the two other rifles using a bench rest or laying in the prone position if the stock length ( thus length of pull) is correct. One of the biggest problems for female shooters with long guns is having to make due with their husband's or boyfriend's rifle where the length of pull is too long. It makes for an uncomfortable and unpleasant shooting experience.

I'd suggest you help her find and attend a NRA Women on Target firearms safety & shooting clinic. You can drive her there but you cannot participate. This is for the ladies only!

Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics

Old 03-22-2011, 12:22 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I usually see a couple other ladies shooting whenever I go to the range...always seems to be handguns though. I've got a 9mm Baby Eagle, but I use my husband's Glock 22 about half the time. I've never been interested in shotguns or rifles...but I have been thinking about getting a .22 rifle for my daughter to learn with.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
I agree with lifelongMOgal, I can shoot my husbands rifles as long as I've got a bench rest.

My favorite thing to shoot is my .22 revolver, but I have 3 handguns and 2 rifles. I REALLY like shooting rifles, the only reason the revolver is my favorite is because I have a thing for classic/old looking guns. My favorite rifle is my Winchester Buffalo Bill Commemorative 30-30. Still classic looking, but the revolver is a little more fun.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:12 PM

Our other rifles are a Winchester 30-30 Lever-Action and a Remington 870 Express 12ga. The Winchester has too much "recoil" for her and, even on a bench sitting on a sand bag, it's a little too heavy for her. The shotgun barrel is too long for her........she actually needs a Youth size one.
I had Small Arms Training while in the Navy where I shot an M-1, a 9mm, a Thompson machine gun and a deck-mounted 50 calibur. I was also the Pointer for the Forward 5" Gun Mount during GQ and practice shooting at sea.
My wife's mom, when she was a teen in Michigan, shot a nice ?-Point Buck. I was extremely happy that my wife had/has the interest in firearms like I do......however, NO military style ones though!
When I ask some of the "young bucks" at the Range, "so, where is your girlfriend (or wife)", I get the answer "at home, no interest". All we can say is "to bad" (to ourselves that is).

Old 03-22-2011, 04:44 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
My Buffalo Bill is a lever-action as well, I don't have a problem with the recoil and am able to shoot it standing with no issue. That being said, my husband hand loads my ammunition for that gun which does reduce the kick quite a bit. I can shoot the regular ammunition in it, BUT his hand loads are a lot easier to shoot. If she wants to try shooting your 30-30 then maybe consider trying that.

I never shot a firearm before marrying my husband, but over the years it's become something that we both enjoy doing.

My other firearms are a Glock 34, Savage .223 bolt action, and a PA63 in 9mm Makarov.

We hand load a lot of our ammunition, it's another hobby for us and it's a cheaper.

Has your wife tried shooting a .223 rifle?

Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I own a Bersa Thunder 380 and a Mossberg 12-gauge shotgun. I used to shoot both of them fairly regularly but now that I think about it...it's been almost 2 years since I shot either one. I need to get my butt back to the range!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:25 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I've got a Bersa 380, a Walther P38, and Walter P22...as well as a Bushmaster AR-15.

Yup, I know a few other female shooters.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:46 AM

She has never had a .223 rifle. When we started talking about getting a handgun, she was thinking about a .357 Mag and I told her that was just too much gun for her as a first-time handgun owner/shooter. This is why we got the Sig Sauer .22. She surprised herself at how good she is getting with shooting the metal plates down (plinking). She helps me reload the clips for the Ruger and the Sig Sauer. She also runs the clay launcher when I shoot the shotgun. She definitely likes going to the Range and we have a yearly membership there. Only thing is, we have to arrange Range time with boating time.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 AM

4 posts, read 6,756 times
I shot guns before meeting my husband with my dad, but not regularly. When we met he was into Glocks and competition target shooting. I go to a lot of the shoots with him and have shot at the more local ones. I also carry a 9mm for protection. 'We' have to many guns for me to remember what they are. Inherited guns, rifles, shotguns, ones he has won...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting