Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:03 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,085,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQBE45 View Post
Some "gals" are better at this than Wolfgang with NARDS! ROTF
You like girls with nads....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 09:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
The .45 was the auto of teh 20th century. If yopu mean the .45 of teh 321st century then their will be none because there are too mnay choice now. If going by lawe enforce by their chocie it will be the Sig Sauer whch even won the original FBI matchup. The problem was they could guarantee them because of poice sells backed up.They had so mnay ploice individual sles they were not available for a long time to any extent to the public.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:07 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,100 times
Price-wise, the Glock-17 seems like an alright weapon to go with as a first.
It handled quite well when I fired one for the first time a few weeks back.

However, the Kimber TLE-II is a stylish beauty with functionality to boot.
Maybe later after some more paper gets stacked up.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:18 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,830,892 times
Nope....THESE are purty guns....

Old 09-13-2011, 09:04 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Nice to see the thread still going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The .45 was the auto of teh 20th century.
Well the Colt .45 that the thread is referring to was the Peace Maker not the 1911. I suppose if one was going to name the semi-auto of the 20th Century the 1911 would be in the running but only for the U.S.

What I was referring to was the ubiquity of the Glock a prevalence that I would argue the .45 1911 never obtained. For example, the 1911 never dominated the law enforcement market on any scale approaching the saturation that Glock has attained. In point of fact, I would argue that a for most of its history the 1911 or any semi-auto for that matter were rarely seen as a duty weapon for most departments and agencies ceding that role to S&W and Colt wheel guns. So as the Colt .45 dominated both the civilian and law enforcement markets during the end of 19th century, so did Glock for the latter part of the 20th.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 PM

Ummm....I'd beg to differ with you - the 1911 was a duty gun for MANY departments in the US. In Mexico, you weren't *squat* as an LEO if you didn't have a silver-gripped 1911 on your hip. Funny thing is, though - the Glock got acceptance primarily over price and availability as departments across the country realized that the 9mm wasn't a really good round choice. The primary criteria became high capacity and something harder-hitting than the 9mm. The .45 was generally considered "too dangerous" by many of the decision makers (dunno what THEY wanted a gun to be for), but it also had a drawback at the time as not being readily available w/ high-capacity mags. Those that were were heavy (well, let's see....230 grains....)<G>
While I'm a big-time .45 fan, I've had my share of .40's as well - and really like some of 'em. Ultimately it came down to trying to reduce the various rounds I had to load - even w/a Dillon 650, it takes a while to load, and the additional shelf space for components and loaded rounds took its' toll as well.
Glocks? Don't get me wrong - it's a good gun, just something that I can't get comfortable with. Have owned several, but still found myself drawn to my 1911's, so that was that.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,852 times
I'm sure that if there were autos competing for the top duty pistol of the 20th century, it would maybe come down to the 1911, Browning Hi-Power (or some derivative), and some sort of CZ?

I see a lot more Glocks, Sigs, and Springfield Armory automatics now, though.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:17 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Funny thing is, though - the Glock got acceptance primarily over price .
Yes sir, plastic was/is way cheaper than steal and aluminum.

I've owned polymer firearms from Glocks to XDs and their good firearms but nothing I would put down as the 20th century firearm. The 20th Century is 1900-1999. The Glock was first introduced in 1982 and sold like hot cakes. But the 1911 had already been in service 74 consecutive years including WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. As well as countless Law Enforcement divisions across the US and 29 different countries. The 1911 just celebrated it's 100th birthday and is still in use by Special Forces and Law Enforcement. Put it simple, the 1911 has been in the hands of a Military and or Law Enforcement almost every year of the 20th century. So to say the 1911 isn't the firearm of the 20th century is laughable. Colt dominated the 20th century just like they did during the 19th century.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:21 PM

859 posts, read 2,828,506 times
I agree that Glock's are everywhere and everyone seems to have one but for the life of me I can't understand why. Having owned two different models I will be the first to say they are incredibly uncomfortable to shoot for any length of time. After 100 rounds at the range in my 19 I was done. Wrist hurt, hand hurt etc. Had the same problem with my 27.

I can shoot 200, 300 rounds of just about any other manufacturer without any pain afterward. There's just something about the grip angle on the Glocks that hurt my hand. Also never found them to be as reliable as everyone claims. Never any major problems until my 27 exploded but they jammed, Failed to feed etc just like other makes.

As for the 1911's.. I know I'm going to get grief for this but I don't understand the obsession. The two I've owned were a pain in the butt and never fit my hand correctly. Keep in mind I have huge hands and the 1911 frames were just too small. To each his own but they're not for me.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
As for the 1911's.. I know I'm going to get grief for this but I don't understand the obsession. The two I've owned were a pain in the butt and never fit my hand correctly. Keep in mind I have huge hands and the 1911 frames were just too small. To each his own but they're not for me.
No grief from me, at least! It's kinda like you and I w/Glocks - it ain't personal, we simply don't like 'em. You because of the discomfort, me because of the way it fits in my hand ta shoot.

As far as 1911's...my hands are a tad larger than normal - my wife's are miniature. Standard 1911 grips fit my hand perfectly, but are too large for the wife. I found that using the slim grip panels resulted in a fit that she found perfect - for you, some hogue wrap-arounds might result in a "perfect fit" - or thicker grip panels - they're available in an amazing array of sizes/configurations.

That, or try some of the "double-stack" styles - standard 1911's, but the extra width required for the double stack (additional capacity) might fit you perfectly....or you may just find that the style of the gun itself isn't for you. You might try finding some local gun boards, and see if you can hook up with some of the guys on their range days - we routinely have pretty good-sized ones, and trying out each others' guns is the norm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting