Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:24 PM

89 posts, read 122,197 times

Advertisements

Was thinking about purchasing a AR-15 and need some input on what you out there will think on this model: M&P15-22 MOE Rifle

Now I know people will say look into your local state laws and guns are bad. I am not looking for your respective opinions. If you don't like guns, don't comment here. Thank you.

Again if you own one, or fairly knowlegdable about AR's please feel free to give me a hand on whether or not this gun will be a waste of my time and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 02:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
That is a lot of bells and whistles for a .22LR. If you do not already own an M4 platform rifle why not go for the Colt in 5.56 with the integral free flating rail and Mag Pull stock and then get an additional .22LR upper?

Sorry, I just prefer the likes of Colt, Noveske, LaRue, and Bravo Company (BCM) over S&W for the AR-15 and AR-10s. YMMV

Old 05-21-2011, 03:12 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I have a Armalite AR15. I bought a new stripped lower and built it myself, a lot of fun. There are a lot of choices available when building or buying. I would not mind picking up a new upper in 7.62X39.
If I was to build one today I would build a different carbine than the one I did.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That is a lot of bells and whistles for a .22LR. If you do not already own an M4 platform rifle why not go for the Colt in 5.56 with the integral free flating rail and Mag Pull stock and then get an additional .22LR upper?

Sorry, I just prefer the likes of Colt, Noveske, LaRue, and Bravo Company (BCM) over S&W for the AR-15 and AR-10s. YMMV

So then a Colt Umarex M4?

Old 05-21-2011, 05:55 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
My AR platform is a Bushmaster onto which I stuck A GGG free float rail forend and a DPMS flat top slick side upper. I'm with Mogal on the .22 platform, just get the 5.56/223 critter. You will be glad you did in the long run. There are myriad AR makers out there, i.e. the ones MOgal listed(top of the line stuff I might add) and DPMS/Bushmaster are quality weapons too,(mine shoots sub moa at thae 200 yard stick). My son uses a DPMS M4 thats a dandy lil' piece as well. I prefer the 20 inch tube but he's doin' more 3 gun than me these days so the M4 suits him better, equipped with an Eotech, whereas I'm lookin' downrange through a 4-12 Bushnell with yotes as my ballistic media.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:11 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

I agree with this. I'd add LMT, LWRC, and Daniel Defense to the list of preferred makes.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
My AR platform is a Bushmaster onto which I stuck A GGG free float rail forend and a DPMS flat top slick side upper. I'm with Mogal on the .22 platform, just get the 5.56/223 critter. You will be glad you did in the long run. There are myriad AR makers out there, i.e. the ones MOgal listed(top of the line stuff I might add) and DPMS/Bushmaster are quality weapons too,(mine shoots sub moa at thae 200 yard stick). My son uses a DPMS M4 thats a dandy lil' piece as well. I prefer the 20 inch tube but he's doin' more 3 gun than me these days so the M4 suits him better, equipped with an Eotech, whereas I'm lookin' downrange through a 4-12 Bushnell with yotes as my ballistic media.

Thank you very much. So with all of that in mind I will have to up my budget a few more dollars. Was orginally looking for just a fun rifle so I could teach my daughter on, but after reading this....... oh well.

Thank you again.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyoungdos View Post
Thank you very much. So with all of that in mind I will have to up my budget a few more dollars. Was orginally looking for just a fun rifle so I could teach my daughter on, but after reading this....... oh well.

Thank you again.
Oh...and I need to add, when I said 5.56/223, make SURE the piece is stamped thus listing BOTH species. The difference is small, but make a difference it do. 5.56 is a bit warmer than 223(my Bushy likes 5.56 betern 223 M855 62 gr penetrator shoots bettern I can hold but shoots warmer 223 like Hornady Vmax with pleasing results). I just started handloading for rifle with my AR being first in line. LOL don't let folks like MOgal and me spook ya pard, you will learn all this seemingly high tech stuff ricky tick as you take to the field and see the ins n outs fer yourself. Then you will see that what works for one buckaroo don't quite draw cinch with the next and you will develop your own tastes and style. Do enjoy the shooting sports and welcome to our family

Old 05-22-2011, 10:58 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyoungdos View Post

Thank you again.

Many great suggestions posted already. If you are looking to introduce your children to the shooting sports I would recommend a solid inexpensive bolt action 22lr to start them off. The bolt action focuses discipline and target placement instead of just being able to spray a target. All my daughters learned shot discipline and gun safety on their great grandfathers Remington 22lr with peep sights before I allowed them to graduate to other guns.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Many great suggestions posted already. If you are looking to introduce your children to the shooting sports I would recommend a solid inexpensive bolt action 22lr to start them off. The bolt action focuses discipline and target placement instead of just being able to spray a target. All my daughters learned shot discipline and gun safety on their great grandfathers Remington 22lr with peep sights before I allowed them to graduate to other guns.
Ahhhh, thanks bulldog, another missive worthy of rememberance! Reps to ya. How soon we who have been shooting for a spell forget how we started. Me pop was an old school type who MADE me concentrate on the fact that the purpose of shooting IS hitting and my formative years, spent in pursuit of that most dangerous of quarry, the NV desert blacktailed jackrabbit, were spent with a ration of 5 rounds, and an expectation of 5 of the vicious beasties bagged. Had I been cut loose with a high cap 10/22 or worse yet an insidious ammo eater like an AR, I would appreciate, far less, the fact that ONE well placed shot is worth an infinite number of misses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting