Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQBE45 View Post
Yes, you can. Most of your modern stuff is designed around them. You don't even need to clean it. Just run a patch down the barrel to clear excessive oil.
Well, a few of my friends that have Kimber's and a few Tauarus will disagree with you....the shop that sold them said don't even try them (hollow points) until you put several hundred rounds through them....

Old 07-10-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
The one think about a Hi Point that many of us has overlooked. If you couldn't hit an assailant with a bullet, you could throw the gun at him and likely cause some damage. That gun is the closest thing I have seen that is like a club, but is still actually a gun. One of our pawn shops has one right now with a $99 price tag and the owner said he would feel whoever buys it is getting cheated at $99.
As I said before, I will shoot against anyone with my Hi-Point at 10 - 20 steps and I can guarantee you that all my bullets will be in an 8 inch paper plate...

I know I know, some people like to put the bullet through the same hole....but NOBODY has taken me up on that challenge, not even at the local range....I wonder why?

Old 07-10-2011, 09:07 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,383 times
Quote:
Yours needed a rebuild and parts. Most any other brand would by 10,000 rounds too. At least a recoil spring or two. Probably a mag spring as well. Especially after sitting loaded for long periods of time. Some say it is the opposite. It's the loading and unloading that weakens them. My reply back is to think of that classic car or truck sitting for years. Those leaf springs and coil springs are most likely shot. Makes sense now, doesn't it? Would those guns still function with the old parts? Yeah, they still should, just not the best. Weak recoil springs batter frames and mess with timing. Malfunctions can occur and will be taken care of after the replacement.
No it didn't NEED a rebuild, BUT as it was my DUTY weapon I asked them to check it out clean it and do upgrades. THEY did a rebuild and kept the old parts to check them out which was fine by me.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
A Wilson CQB is guaranteed 1" @ 25 YARDS . That is if the shooter does their part? Off-hand, hitting a 1 1/2" group at 15 yards is no problem for me. I haven't ever tried resting it. I don't shoot like that or practice with it in that "recreational" way. In a gun fight, that rest won't do you a bit of good. Don't start or get into bad habits. I can shoot SIGs, GLOCKs, Berettas and my S&W M&P very similar. A bone stock Beretta 92, SIG 226 and GLOCK 17 or 34 in the 9MM department will lay waste to any cheapo. It's the standard that sets the bar for the rest.
Ahhhhhhhhhh, so now it comes to the shooter and NOT the gun.....

I always thought if you bought a Kimber, you could shoot like the best of them......straight out of the box...(yes that is sarcasm)

That's interesting....but I really don't care to shoot 1 inch groups at 25 yards....

I'll ask again....anyone care to shoot against me and my $140 gun at 10 - 20 steps, and all bullets go into an 8inch pie plate? Don't care about 1 inch 10 shot holes either....

Old 07-10-2011, 08:37 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
I shoot mostly reloaded ammo in my Kimber, and the bullets happen to be hollow points. I have never yet found any factory ammo my gun won't feed well with. I bought it used, but it has been that way since I first bought it. As far as putting all the shots in an 8 inch circle at 25 yards, I would sure hope all of my handguns will do that. If one wouldn't, I'd get rid of it. Most of the 'bull's eye shooter's' I know can shoot at a four inch target day in and day out and seldom have hits outside of that 4" circle, to them an eight inch pie plate is a joke..

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 07-10-2011 at 08:50 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 AM

You guys are bringing up 2 seperate and completely different situations....

1st is a person who does NOT care to shoot through the same bullet hole with every bullet, they are like me...hitting an 8 inch pie plate is pretty good for me, because thats all I need/care to do...that is home defense...in my opinion...

2nd are people like you guys...you want to shoot through the same hole everytime...or just about...you also shoot hundreds of rounds every month...not me...50 if I'm lucky...but thats all I need...want to do...

Quote:
Are you a righty or lefty? I'll yell switch and you start shooting with whatever one you AREN'T. We'll see how you do?
I'll take you up on that, (still all bullets will be in an 8 inch pie plate) because I have been through some "other" types of gun courses in my 21 year span in the Army. Also, when I carry in my truck the pistol is sitting in the cubby in the drivers door, so I can pull it with my left hand and not pull the pistol across my knees/leg area....

Remember, 2 types of pistol shooting we are talking about...

I also agree that IF you are going to be shooting competitions, yes, you will need a quality pistol and the Hi-Point is not it....but...I can guarantee you every time I pull the trigger it goes BOOM....

Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,383 times
I don't want to shoot thru the same hole all the time. When I shoot it'll be at a body and I want to make several holes [makes em bleed out more and faster]

Old 07-11-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
You should know then, stress and adrenaline pumping could double or triple your calm group sizes. Run full tilt around the block. Without resting, take aim and fire. You have something similar. That's not your life though. That scenario will be much worse.
Yes, you are correct....but is that how your train, when your shooting? or do you just calmly walk to the firing line? Can you run around the block and and then shoot the same as walking up to the firing line? I highly doubt it, can you still hit the target...yes...

But again, you are bringing competition shooting and home defense into the same scenario...and what I'm saying is that you cannot do that....

Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is how we train when shooting. That is where the other stuff I previously posted came from as well. Try laying flat on your back, kneeling, crouched down on one knee. Anything you can think of that you might encounter. Run the course with your buddy nipping at your heels and pushing the pace. He's right behind you and he is breathing down your neck. If you don't move and shoot, he slams into you or steps on your ankle. Can you load a magazine for your Hi-Point with one hand? Crouch down on one knee and hold it in your knee socket behind the knee and you can. How about filling a gallon milk jug with water and ting a rope to it? Your rope has to be long enough so your person pulling it is behind you AT ALL TIMES! Make sure you have a good backstop too. Can you hit that milk jug on the move as it slides across the dirt coming right at you? The water spray doesn't lie!
I've been to the school's (some of the extra special military shooting schools) ....Tell me why I would not be able to load my Hi-Point with it locked behind my knee? Tell me why I would not be able to load my Hi-Point 1 handed (I push the release button and it falls to the ground everythime)?

Again you are trying to take "shooting a milk jug, with your friend pulling the rope behind you" as regular home self defense....

How about take a Mannequin (full size) and do the same thing...

Again, your taking self defense and competition shooting and combining them....

Old 07-11-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I don't look at it that way. I look at it like the baddest mofo in your Town or City! It could be you too! Get to it, will ya?
There is always someone better than you....I don't need a several thousand dollar weapon for it to set on my night stand....my $140 Hi-Point will shoot every time I pull the trigger...guaranteed....

I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing....really....I understand that in certain situations an extremely accurate weapon is needed...but in my case, I don't need it...nor willing to spend the money, even if I was given a Les Baer, I would not go and shoot thousands of rounds a month...just because it is a "Les Baer", it being a Les Baer, does not make me any better....me shooting the pistol I have makes me better....for my situation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting