Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:56 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I finally went shooting for the first time since '06 at this range in Albuquerque.
Tried out an H&K SP-30/9mm and blew through 200 rounds on a set of zombie targets.
Sticking with the Z-folklore, I was aiming for the head, but only nailed it 10-12 times.

The M4 assault rifle with the full/semi-auto was a different story.
Along with the sight-device on the weapon, the shoulder-stability through the extendable stock made headshots on the second Zombie target a cakewalk and aside from feeling like a cannon, I felt like I was on top of my game.

With that said, is there any possible room for improvement in the handgun department, or should I just stick with something I found I'm rather good with?
There is always room for improvement. Get some formal training and/or join a action shooting club in your area affiliated with IDPA or IPSC.

Head shots require front sight focus and trigger control. You need to brush up on your fundamental skills until you are making your shots consistently. If you've never learned the fundamentals properly you may never progress, thus my suggestion for formal training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
First things first. If you are going to be proficient with a pistol, you must first learn how to shoot one. There is more to it than just pointing at the target a pulling the trigger. One poster said to practice, practice, practice, but all of that practice does no good whatsoever if you don't know what you are doing in the first place. A rifle is easier to shoot accurately for most people because the sighting radius is longer, so a small error is not as great with a longer barrel (greater distance between front sight and rear sight) as it is with a shorter barrel. With a pistol you must keep your eyes on the sights so alignment will be perfect with the target, before you pull the trigger.
Spot on as always. Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Most shooters do not know what they do not know until they begin attending formal training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 12:07 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There is always room for improvement. Get some formal training and/or join a action shooting club in your area affiliated with IDPA or IPSC.

Head shots require front sight focus and trigger control. You need to brush up on your fundamental skills until you are making your shots consistently. If you've never learned the fundamentals properly you may never progress, thus my suggestion for formal training.
Speaking of clubs and ranges, I've found that many in CA require you to already both be a member and a currently registered gun-owner.
Seeing as I've never owned one in my life, that was going to be little help.

Luckily, my frequent travels through Nevada and New Mexico have opened up doors for me in the way of weapons-experiences.
Aside from the usual ID check and such, I didn't even need to own a weapon or be a resident of the respective state to shoot at the range.
Also, that kind of opportunity gives me the chance to try out different weapons to see which one will fit me best.

As for action-shooting, I'll have to look into that too.
Is that sort of like combat-simulation?

If so, I'm definitely in.
Some would say join the service, but I got DQ'd for asinine reasons.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Speaking of clubs and ranges, I've found that many in CA require you to already both be a member and a currently registered gun-owner.
Seeing as I've never owned one in my life, that was going to be little help.

Luckily, my frequent travels through Nevada and New Mexico have opened up doors for me in the way of weapons-experiences.
Aside from the usual ID check and such, I didn't even need to own a weapon or be a resident of the respective state to shoot at the range.
Also, that kind of opportunity gives me the chance to try out different weapons to see which one will fit me best.

As for action-shooting, I'll have to look into that too.
Is that sort of like combat-simulation?

If so, I'm definitely in.
Some would say join the service, but I got DQ'd for asinine reasons.
Didn't realize you were in CA. If you love firearms and your right to own them why not move to a friendlier state? ITTS offers some of the best training you'll find in your state. Welcome to International Tactical Training Seminars, Los Angeles CA

You might also try this range: Reed's Indoor Range

Organizations through which to find IDPA & IPSC clubs:
International Defensive Pistol Association
Welcome to USPSA.org - Home of the United States Practical Shooting Association

Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Didn't realize you were in CA. If you love firearms and your right to own them why not move to a friendlier state? ITTS offers some of the best training you'll find in your state. Welcome to International Tactical Training Seminars, Los Angeles CA

You might also try this range: Reed's Indoor Range

Organizations through which to find IDPA & IPSC clubs:
International Defensive Pistol Association
Welcome to USPSA.org - Home of the United States Practical Shooting Association
Believe me, I actually sat on my trucks load for two days in Albuquerque contemplating why I had to go back to CA.
I've lived/been raised in the Victorville area since I was 4 and now at 28(as of Friday) find that deserts anywhere are my place.

Anywho, it's things like this and also the cool fact that I decided to ride my bicycle from the Flying J on the other side of town all the way to the range off the 25 and Holly that made it THAT more enticing.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Screamed at? Fer what?
I don't know but when ever I opine on this topic somebody invariably yells at me.

\

Old 06-19-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't know but when ever I opine on this topic somebody invariably yells at me.

\
Developing a flinch?

Old 06-20-2011, 03:49 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
I finally went shooting for the first time since '06 at this range in Albuquerque.
Tried out an H&K SP-30/9mm and blew through 200 rounds on a set of zombie targets.
Sticking with the Z-folklore, I was aiming for the head, but only nailed it 10-12 times.

The M4 assault rifle with the full/semi-auto was a different story.
Along with the sight-device on the weapon, the shoulder-stability through the extendable stock made headshots on the second Zombie target a cakewalk and aside from feeling like a cannon, I felt like I was on top of my game.

With that said, is there any possible room for improvement in the handgun department, or should I just stick with something I found I'm rather good with?
Hard to say, you could start by finding someone who you know is good with a handgun, and let them try your 9mm.

Most .45 ACP pistols will shoot pretty well with most .45 ACP ammo. This is less true for the 9mm.

Also, how's the trigger on the pistol? How about the rifle?

Are you using a Weaver stance, and holding the pistol with the right amount of dynamic tension - which is hard to describe in words. But a pistol moves quite a bit before the bullet leaves the barrel, more than you probably think - if you can find an old Colt SAA, put it on some sandbags, cocked but empty, and carefully line the sights up on a target, then look through the firing pin hole down the bore, and see for yourself how far below the target the barrel is pointing before the round fires. If you don't hold the same level of "hard" you will string your shots vertically at least, maybe some other problems with the group. (BTW what kind of shot group were you forming with the pistol - round, or strung out vertically, horizontally, diagonally?)

Before you give up on yourself as a pistolero, see if you can't lay hands on for example a .22 Ruger target model pistol, or any S&W revolver in .22, or even 38 Special, if 38, use some factory wadcutters. If you can't shoot these accurately, it's you. I would be surprised if you don't shoot these a lot better than the 9mm.

Good point about getting good formal training, most people self-teach and bring a whole raft full of bad habits to the first real school they go to, that seems to hold for shooting, motorcycle riding, and driving all.

Concentrating on the front sight is helpful with an iron-sighted rifle, but it's really critical with handguns.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Hard to say, you could start by finding someone who you know is good with a handgun, and let them try your 9mm.

Most .45 ACP pistols will shoot pretty well with most .45 ACP ammo. This is less true for the 9mm.

Also, how's the trigger on the pistol? How about the rifle?

Are you using a Weaver stance, and holding the pistol with the right amount of dynamic tension - which is hard to describe in words. But a pistol moves quite a bit before the bullet leaves the barrel, more than you probably think - if you can find an old Colt SAA, put it on some sandbags, cocked but empty, and carefully line the sights up on a target, then look through the firing pin hole down the bore, and see for yourself how far below the target the barrel is pointing before the round fires. If you don't hold the same level of "hard" you will string your shots vertically at least, maybe some other problems with the group. (BTW what kind of shot group were you forming with the pistol - round, or strung out vertically, horizontally, diagonally?)

Before you give up on yourself as a pistolero, see if you can't lay hands on for example a .22 Ruger target model pistol, or any S&W revolver in .22, or even 38 Special, if 38, use some factory wadcutters. If you can't shoot these accurately, it's you. I would be surprised if you don't shoot these a lot better than the 9mm.

Good point about getting good formal training, most people self-teach and bring a whole raft full of bad habits to the first real school they go to, that seems to hold for shooting, motorcycle riding, and driving all.

Concentrating on the front sight is helpful with an iron-sighted rifle, but it's really critical with handguns.
Don't know anyone with firearms out where I currently live, so a change of venue is in place to counter that.
As for giving up on pistols, no.
I feel as though I've found a new thing to become interested in and get good at (outside of learning tech skills like welding and vehicle repair).

Old 06-22-2011, 05:58 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Don't know anyone with firearms out where I currently live, so a change of venue is in place to counter that.
I feel as though I've found a new thing to become interested in and get good at (outside of learning tech skills like welding and vehicle repair).
Well, I'll go out on a limb here...

People above said find someone to show you how to shoot....I still say practice parctice and some more practice, maybe someone to show you a few stances, and how to hold your pistol for better control while shooting...but they will not be by your side every single time to tell you what you are doing wrong....you have to practice...what feels good for you...

Just like welding, there are basics....but you did not get to be that good, just because a master welder showed you how....it was welding, welding and more welding...not watching someone else all the time....

My practice also includes studying on the internet and seeing what might work better for me and then going out and trying it. Even while in the Army, most of the "trainers" would tell you wrong...or they would tell you "their" style....I just shook my head yes, and did did my normal....never failed me on the 9mm range....38, 39, or 40 out of 40 everytime....that included magazine changes, and walking pop up targets....we were only allowed to shoot every 3 months....10 practice rounds just before the scored round...

So, anyway, there are many opinions here...it's up to you to choose, nobody is the same, nobody holds the gun the same, nobody can shoot as good as the next....

Some people who try to shoot through the same hole will have a different stance/hold than a person who can put 10 of 10 in a 8 inch paper plate at 20 steps....

Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:

Here is an example of a Group shoot put on in Northern California by a local FFL/gunstore. These are a great group of people to meet that share the same interests as you. Most of these things are very informal BBQs where you can test out some of the latest and greatest guns available.
You just need a positive disposition, good manners and you find many people willing to share your love of the shooting sports.

There are many of these all over SoCal throughout the year. I just posted this one as an example for you of what available to those of us that may not have any friends or family that enjoy shooting or hunting.

Also check out the rest of the forum. You might be surprised.

Come Shoot with Sacramento Black Rifle June 26 2011 - Calguns.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting