Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:34 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,078,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Here is an example of a Group shoot put on in Northern California by a local FFL/gunstore. These are a great group of people to meet that share the same interests as you. Most of these things are very informal BBQs where you can test out some of the latest and greatest guns available.
You just need a positive disposition, good manners and you find many people willing to share your love of the shooting sports.

There are many of these all over SoCal throughout the year. I just posted this one as an example for you of what available to those of us that may not have any friends or family that enjoy shooting or hunting.

Also check out the rest of the forum. You might be surprised.

Come Shoot with Sacramento Black Rifle June 26 2011 - Calguns.net
Due to obvious reasons, I never really thought of CA as a gun-state.
But, I guess this is most likely due to being raised by parents that eschewed firearms and any weaponry for whatever reasons they might've had.
I mean, I didn't even get a cap-gun until I was 13!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,258,396 times
Principles of marksmanship don't change between weapons systems. When you are shooting your handgun, you are reinforcing marksmanship with a rifle and the same in reverse.

One thing few people do enough of is: Dry practice. Dry firing with your handgun can improve your marksmanship skills a great deal. In fact, most professional shooters will tell you: Live fire only proves you've been dry firing.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:00 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,808,504 times
Hummmmm, I shoot everything with two hands, that one handed stuff looks good in movies.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,535,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Principles of marksmanship don't change between weapons systems. When you are shooting your handgun, you are reinforcing marksmanship with a rifle and the same in reverse.

One thing few people do enough of is: Dry practice. Dry firing with your handgun can improve your marksmanship skills a great deal. In fact, most professional shooters will tell you: Live fire only proves you've been dry firing.

Snap caps please.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,098,612 times
Absolutely right about snap caps!

I'm a better shot with a rifle than with a handgun, but it stands to reason. I'm also better with a revolver than a semiauto (other than .22 caliber), possibly because of the reciprocating mass of the slide on the latter.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Snap caps please.
I'll give them to you. They are worthless and waste of money. Dry firing any modern handgun will not harm it.

And, for the record, I am better with a handgun then I am with my M4.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:54 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,532,986 times
The problem with dry firing has always been the fact that older steels tended to crystallize. The shock of being dry-fired with no limit on the travel of the pin often led to broken firing pins. This isn't much of a problem with modern steels in centerfire arms.

However, with rimfire arms the firing pin often strikes the breech causing damage to both the breech and to the firing pin which in a rimfire is usually attached to the hammer. Some of the best rimfires have dry-firing capability because there is a way to detach the trigger from the striker. The Browning Medalist does this by means of a lever. But without this device, a snap cap is in order. I don't mean a fired case. After snapping on it a few times it will be mashed down offering no protection. I would never dry-fire a rimfire without either a snap cap or a device in the gun that allows dry firing. I have seen rimfires that were dry-fired requiring a new hammer and at least dressing the breech.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,098,612 times
Thanks for the benefit of your expertise!

Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,535,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I'll give them to you. They are worthless and waste of money. Dry firing any modern handgun will not harm it.

And, for the record, I am better with a handgun then I am with my M4.

To each his own. Remind me to never do a PPT with you for any gun you might be selling.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
To each his own. Remind me to never do a PPT with you for any gun you might be selling.
I do not buy, nor sell guns. I am a police officer and, 22 years ago, I was issued a SigSaur P226 9mm handgun. Since that time, I've fired, conservatively, 150K rounds thought it. Including courses at: Blackwater Lodge, Gunsite, and Thunerranich. Including a whole lot of classes, from training providers most have never heard of. I dry fire my Sig, 4-6 times a week, for about 30 mins a session.

I've been involved in 4 seperate officer involved shootings, including the criminal and civil lawsuits. More then you could probably enjoy, know, or even fathom.

My Sig has NEVER failed me. I own no other handgun; as why? I am issued this and I have attended THOUSANDS of hours of training. ALL with this handgun. It is still my SIG. Some of the bluing removed, but still my SIG.

It will fire less then 2" groups at 25 yards and feels great in my hand.

I don't own guns. Owning many guns are for the weak and worthless. You own alot, because it makes YOU feel good. I own one. And have been through hell and back, with that one. Its still there, now, on my hip. I'll be teaching 12 persons how to use it, tomorrow morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting