U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:49 PM

4,584 posts, read 3,327,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I do not buy, nor sell guns. I am a police officer... I don't own guns. Owning many guns are for the weak and worthless. You own alot, because it makes YOU feel good. I own one. And have been through hell and back, with that one. Its still there, now, on my hip. I'll be teaching 12 persons how to use it, tomorrow morning.

I don't ever recall seeing you in a gun thread before. You need to figure out whether you own a gun or not.

I guess that I and a few of the other folks here are what you'd call weak and worthless. That's interesting because that's how most people view government employees. And don't forget that without us weak and worthless members of the private productive part of society you and your fellow cops and other big shot government employees would starve.

This is the Hobby subforum; why are you disrupting our discussion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:47 AM

19,126 posts, read 11,165,237 times
Quote:
I do not buy, nor sell guns. I am a police officer and, 22 years ago, I was issued a SigSaur P226 9mm handgun. Since that time, I've fired, conservatively, 150K rounds thought it. Including courses at: Blackwater Lodge, Gunsite, and Thunerranich. Including a whole lot of classes, from training providers most have never heard of. I dry fire my Sig, 4-6 times a week, for about 30 mins a session.

I've been involved in 4 seperate officer involved shootings, including the criminal and civil lawsuits. More then you could probably enjoy, know, or even fathom.

My Sig has NEVER failed me. I own no other handgun; as why? I am issued this and I have attended THOUSANDS of hours of training. ALL with this handgun. It is still my SIG. Some of the bluing removed, but still my SIG.

It will fire less then 2" groups at 25 yards and feels great in my hand.

I don't own guns. Owning many guns are for the weak and worthless. You own alot, because it makes YOU feel good. I own one. And have been through hell and back, with that one. Its still there, now, on my hip. I'll be teaching 12 persons how to use it, tomorrow morning.
Sounds like you have a lot to prove. Big ego small........caliber

Interesting though story though. The tempo, rhythm and phrasing of your writing is eerily adolescent.

Also its Thunder Ranch by the way.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:44 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,698,124 times
As far as owning multiple weapons, that's not for me.
A suitable handgun and long-gun will do me just fine.

In the near future, I prospect owning perhaps 3-4 at the most.
Everything else will be "tryouts" at whichever indoor range w/rentals happens to be wherever I plan to call home next.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:26 PM

41,861 posts, read 18,726,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I finally went shooting for the first time since '06 at this range in Albuquerque.
Tried out an H&K SP-30/9mm and blew through 200 rounds on a set of zombie targets.
Sticking with the Z-folklore, I was aiming for the head, but only nailed it 10-12 times.

The M4 assault rifle with the full/semi-auto was a different story.
Along with the sight-device on the weapon, the shoulder-stability through the extendable stock made headshots on the second Zombie target a cakewalk and aside from feeling like a cannon, I felt like I was on top of my game.

With that said, is there any possible room for improvement in the handgun department, or should I just stick with something I found I'm rather good with?
The accuracy of any weapon will often depend on the ammo you use, the H&K 9mm is a fine handgun, and with good ammo you should be able to get good accuracy at 25 yards. You might have to try different brands, with different bullet types and weights until you find one that works best in your H&K.

You might also consider loading/reloading your own ammo for the 9mm, and any other weapons you have or end up getting in the future. It's cheaper than buying commercial ammo, plus the money you save on ammo will pay for the reloading gear.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:59 PM

4,134 posts, read 2,594,661 times
Quote:
Speaking of clubs and ranges, I've found that many in CA require you to already both be a member and a currently registered gun-owner.
Seeing as I've never owned one in my life, that was going to be little help.

Luckily, my frequent travels through Nevada and New Mexico have opened up doors for me in the way of weapons-experiences.
Aside from the usual ID check and such, I didn't even need to own a weapon or be a resident of the respective state to shoot at the range.
Also, that kind of opportunity gives me the chance to try out different weapons to see which one will fit me best.

As for action-shooting, I'll have to look into that too.
Is that sort of like combat-simulation?

If so, I'm definitely in.
Some would say join the service, but I got DQ'd for asinine reasons.
That's odd. I wouldn't suspect such considering where you live. I live in Oakland; the city that drove out every gun shop and ammo dealer, yet am with 20 minutes of two ranges and within 30-45 minutes of at least 5 more. Some indoors and some out. I have yet to be refused for not joining. When my son expressed an interest in shooting, I found 3 local facilities (and I only called 3 that are close by) that rented weapons more suitable for little guys than the artilleries I lug around. Go figure. For plinking, half this state is either National Forest or BLM land so finding a place to shoot just isn't that hard. If you want to stay on the coast (my preference in the dry and incredibly hot summer months), you're limited to ranges but after heading a bit inland, there's plenty of places to shoot. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by registered gun owner. That's East Coast, not CA.

But, because of some CA laws that make me scratch my head, the variety of weapons one can sample in this state is rather underwhelming. Apparently anything a lawmaker saw do damage in a movie is an assault weapon. Or if it has a modern stock, it's an assault weapon........... Even the nunchaku is illegal in CA ( I kid you NOT) because apparently Bruce Lee killed Chuck Norris with it in 1972.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Status: "hanging up my guns...hanging on to my lady" (set 27 days ago)

6,754 posts, read 4,596,194 times
Quote:
I do not buy, nor sell guns. I am a police officer and, 22 years ago, I was issued a SigSaur P226 9mm handgun. Since that time, I've fired, conservatively, 150K rounds thought it. Including courses at: Blackwater Lodge, Gunsite, and Thunerranich. Including a whole lot of classes, from training providers most have never heard of. I dry fire my Sig, 4-6 times a week, for about 30 mins a session.

I've been involved in 4 seperate officer involved shootings, including the criminal and civil lawsuits. More then you could probably enjoy, know, or even fathom.

My Sig has NEVER failed me. I own no other handgun; as why? I am issued this and I have attended THOUSANDS of hours of training. ALL with this handgun. It is still my SIG. Some of the bluing removed, but still my SIG.

It will fire less then 2" groups at 25 yards and feels great in my hand.

I don't own guns. Owning many guns are for the weak and worthless. You own alot, because it makes YOU feel good. I own one. And have been through hell and back, with that one. Its still there, now, on my hip. I'll be teaching 12 persons how to use it, tomorrow morning.
Wow.....owning multiple platforms makes one"weak and helpless"? ....lmao reckon I should be able to zap totes with my 1911 at 400 yards and wing shoot chukar with my bolt action 22. Sheesh guys we just ain't using our shoots(s) versatile like. Oh sorry....I listed multiple guns.....guess I should pick one that can do it all and be happy. Didn't we have a thread a spell back that asked the what if you could only have one rifle and one handgun? Lol most of us said we would die in front of our safes trying to pick and shotguns were left out.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:07 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,126,921 times
I guess I'm so "weak and helpless" that I'd better buy still more guns at the gun show this weekend to protect my weak and helpless self.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 PM

2,648 posts, read 3,494,709 times
Quote:
I finally went shooting for the first time since '06 at this range in Albuquerque.
Tried out an H&K SP-30/9mm and blew through 200 rounds on a set of zombie targets.
Sticking with the Z-folklore, I was aiming for the head, but only nailed it 10-12 times.

The M4 assault rifle with the full/semi-auto was a different story.
Along with the sight-device on the weapon, the shoulder-stability through the extendable stock made headshots on the second Zombie target a cakewalk and aside from feeling like a cannon, I felt like I was on top of my game.

With that said, is there any possible room for improvement in the handgun department, or should I just stick with something I found I'm rather good with?
Head shots with a 9mm handgun at 200 yards is mighty fine shooting IMO. A head shot at 200 yards with a decent rifle is so so shooting, unless you are talking squirrel heads.

GL2

Old 07-07-2011, 11:59 PM

19,126 posts, read 11,165,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Head shots with a 9mm handgun at 200 yards is mighty fine shooting IMO. A head shot at 200 yards with a decent rifle is so so shooting, unless you are talking squirrel heads.

GL2
I think you misread his post "200 rounds".

Old 07-08-2011, 06:59 AM

2,648 posts, read 3,494,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I think you misread his post "200 rounds".
You are right Bulldog Dad. I just now read it over my first cup of coffee for the day. I plead caffeine deficiency. However I stand by the 200 yard comparisons between pistol and rifle head shots.
GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting