U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 04:56 PM

6,541 posts, read 15,130,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidorry View Post
Interesting stuff. I was wondering similar things. My girlfriend just moved out here to California and although I spend most of my time here I still maintain New York State residence. I would like to get a shotgun mainly for home protection to keep with my girlfriend. I was curious if I could buy one here with an out of state ID. If not I could get it under her name. I know that their is a 10 day wait after a class of some sort, and no thats not nationwide in the least. I had a concealed permit in the state of FL and that entitled me to walk in and buy any gun short of an "assault rifle" I believe.
Well here in CA the firearms safety class is only required on handgun sales. Rifles and shotguns do not require the safety class. The only way to pay and walk out with a firearm in CA is with a FFL license or be a law officer. I do not think CA honors other state concealed carry permits.

Here is a site that will tell you Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity.
Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 08:44 PM

5,227 posts, read 5,035,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidorry View Post
Interesting stuff. I was wondering similar things. My girlfriend just moved out here to California and although I spend most of my time here I still maintain New York State residence. I would like to get a shotgun mainly for home protection to keep with my girlfriend. I was curious if I could buy one here with an out of state ID. If not I could get it under her name. I know that their is a 10 day wait after a class of some sort, and no thats not nationwide in the least. I had a concealed permit in the state of FL and that entitled me to walk in and buy any gun short of an "assault rifle" I believe.

It depends on the states. If its ok with the state your in & the state you are a resident of then you are ok. I think though that NYS has a limitaion that says its residents can only buy from "contiguous" states, in other words ones it touches. So if I'm right you cant buy a gun in Cali as a NY resident.
CT is better in that regard & I can buy a long gun in any state as long as that state will sell it to non residents. Handguns cant be sold to non residents period I BELIEVE, but could be wrong. You need to have them shipped to a FFL in your resident state & in NY you couldn't buy it unless you had a permit.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:07 AM

7,039 posts, read 9,733,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I do not think CA honors other state concealed carry permits.
They don't. The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia is a "may issue" permit state, which pretty much means the only people that can get permits in most counties are the rich and powerful. My MS carry permit is not applicable to CA.

The easiest response to the OP and future readers (who posted several months ago) is that gun laws vary from state to state and you must be familiar with your own state. Thus the information in many of these responses may not apply to you. i.e. - waiting periods for hand gun purchases - vary from state to state. My state (MS) has no waiting period.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:54 PM

6,541 posts, read 15,130,177 times
There are many counties in CA that issue CCW permits like dog licenses. My county issues for a good reason, $200 and a 8 hour class.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:28 AM

7,039 posts, read 9,733,740 times
Quote:
There are many counties in CA that issue CCW permits like dog licenses. My county issues for a good reason, $200 and a 8 hour class.
I've heard that. So yes it's very dependent on the county and possibly the political affiliation of the powers in that county. Some counties, obviously the urban ones, almost impossible to get a CCW license.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:33 AM

7,165 posts, read 9,084,762 times
Quote:
Wow, that's like 200% over what it costs me for a 5 year permit

Old 11-23-2011, 08:50 AM

3,252 posts, read 3,065,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Wow, that's like 200% over what it costs me for a 5 year permit
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, in MA, it was about $800, doctor visit, safety class, and an 8-month wait. (this was in 1992).
They were really miffed when I ran the CORI on myself and gave it to them (as having them do it would have delayed it even longer).
They wouldn't even give me a 'For all lawful purposes', just a 'Target and Hunting', which is relatively useless, and you can't hunt with a handgun in MA anyways.

Large-capacity carry permits are almost impossible in MA, without a really good reason (like employment)

But, now that I am in NH, it cost $10, took 3 days, and that was it.
When I went in to see the Chief of Police, and said I wanted to pick up a few class-3, he said "I don't care what you buy"

Wooh-hoo! I love NH

Old 11-23-2011, 09:00 AM

7,165 posts, read 9,084,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

Well, in MA, it was about $800, doctor visit, safety class, and an 8-month wait. (this was in 1992).
They were really miffed when I ran the CORI on myself and gave it to them (as having them do it would have delayed it even longer).
They wouldn't even give me a 'For all lawful purposes', just a 'Target and Hunting', which is relatively useless, and you can't hunt with a handgun in MA anyways.

Large-capacity carry permits are almost impossible in MA, without a really good reason (like employment)

But, now that I am in NH, it cost $10, took 3 days, and that was it.
When I went in to see the Chief of Police, and said I wanted to pick up a few class-3, he said "I don't care what you buy"

Wooh-hoo! I love NH
Another reason H.R. 822 needs to pass. I don't carry much because I randomly have to go to ME or MA during my workday, and I can't afford a non-resident permit, nor do I want to jump through the hoops required to get one.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:36 PM

3,252 posts, read 3,065,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Another reason H.R. 822 needs to pass. I don't carry much because I randomly have to go to ME or MA during my workday, and I can't afford a non-resident permit, nor do I want to jump through the hoops required to get one.

I understand your situation. I feel somewhat 'trapped' here in NH... if I get a job in another state and need to move there, I am in for a mess of paperwork. The CCW's may or may not be possible, the Class-3's are either close to, or totally impossible, to move. (I think MA would NOT be happy, though I would never move back there again, for any reason). If I really got stuck, I could put many of them in the big safe in a storage unit here in NH, but that sort of defeats the purpose of going out to the range on a nice Sunday afternoon, with friends, and having an enjoyable shoot.

I wish the Fed gov. would step in and state the rules of 'carry anywhere', and the ATF would lighten up on us. The only people that really get penalized are those of us who are law-abiding citizens. What a sad state of affairs.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:20 PM

5,227 posts, read 5,035,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

I understand your situation. I feel somewhat 'trapped' here in NH... if I get a job in another state and need to move there, I am in for a mess of paperwork. The CCW's may or may not be possible, the Class-3's are either close to, or totally impossible, to move. (I think MA would NOT be happy, though I would never move back there again, for any reason). If I really got stuck, I could put many of them in the big safe in a storage unit here in NH, but that sort of defeats the purpose of going out to the range on a nice Sunday afternoon, with friends, and having an enjoyable shoot.

I wish the Fed gov. would step in and state the rules of 'carry anywhere'
, and the ATF would lighten up on us. The only people that really get penalized are those of us who are law-abiding citizens. What a sad state of affairs.
They already did with the 2nd amendment. Says we can keep & bear arms. Doesn't say with ATF or state or town or political or nosy busybody's permission. Just says we can do it. I dont think I'd support a national carry law, that would plainly be unconstitutional & step on states rights.
It doesn't have to be a level field just like its not level regarding drivers licenses and registrations. Some states are easier than others, yet they all recognize other states licenses & registrations. What the feds need to do is to start arresting state & city LE that arest people for breaking illegal laws for violating their civil rights. They need to start arresting legislators that even vote for such things, let alone sponsor them, for violating their oaths of office. Least thats how I see it, but I dont play nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting