Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Well an update is needed I suppose.

I went and rented a P30L and really didn't like the trigger on it, pull was way too long and hard to get a feel for (for me anyway).

It was the first time I'd shot a "real" pistol (Calico M950 doesn't count) and I made fist-sized groups of 15 shots at 10 feet (? ...first lights at the range, I know it's 10 or 15), friend I went with said that was decent for a first time (I was disappointed), that said, with his Glock G26 I got that down to about a 1.5-2 inch group of 5 shots. Liked that gun a lot better, despite it's short grip, the shorter trigger pull just worked better.

With that in mind, I'm now looking at the Ruger SR9C and the Glock 19, or possible the XDM Compact, anyone have experience with those firearms?
I'm going to second Elkhunter's suggestion that you go to the range a few times and shoot everything you may want to purchase to be certain. Once you walk out of the gun shop with a new firearm it becomes a "used" gun, fired or unfired.

Of all you listed I'd choose the G19 above all. YMMV

Some newbies don't know that they should take up the slack on a GLOCK trigger before applying the pressure smoothly to the surprise break. While not the "glass" crisp break of a 1911 with a custom trigger job the GLOCK has never felt "mushy" to me when run correctly. Respectfully, YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Thanks for the info Dd714, how would you describe the XD trigger? Would you say the XD or XDM is worth the extra cash over the Ruger? Did you shoot the Ruger?
Viking,
The XD has a long trigger pull but it's more "tactile" I guess I would explain it, then a glock...crisper and cleaner. Trigger pull is one of those personal things, I can't say I like the long pull but it just feels better than the glock. I expect it to get even better as it breaks in.

I did not fire the ruger. I am sure I dry fired it at the store but I can't remember the feeling. I have heard the SR9Cs have excellent triggers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Some newbies don't know that they should take up the slack on a GLOCK trigger before applying the pressure smoothly to the surprise break. While not the "glass" crisp break of a 1911 with a custom trigger job the GLOCK has never felt "mushy" to me when run correctly. Respectfully, YMMV.
The XD has that similiar slack, before the break (less pronounced however), so my comment really isn't about that. It's more precise and accurate for shooting at the range but I don't like practicing in that method (I was trained on the glock by the way), as it does not simulate a real-world situation. In a gun fight, there will be no take up of slack in most situations, there will be one squeeze of the trigger from outside the trigger guard, and then if needed a reset and another shot, and continue. The effect of adreline and the fight or flight response makes the "taking up slack" method impractical anyways (as your fingers loose tacticle sensitivity). So I practice, with finger outside the trigger guard, until ready to shoot, then I pull with no take up. Reset. Pull again. Repeat. No staged taking up of the slack.

Last edited by Dd714; 10-02-2011 at 08:10 PM..

Old 10-03-2011, 09:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Viking,
The XD has a long trigger pull but it's more "tactile" I guess I would explain it, then a glock...crisper and cleaner. Trigger pull is one of those personal things, I can't say I like the long pull but it just feels better than the glock. I expect it to get even better as it breaks in.

I did not fire the ruger. I am sure I dry fired it at the store but I can't remember the feeling. I have heard the SR9Cs have excellent triggers.

The XD has that similiar slack, before the break (less pronounced however), so my comment really isn't about that. It's more precise and accurate for shooting at the range but I don't like practicing in that method (I was trained on the glock by the way), as it does not simulate a real-world situation. In a gun fight, there will be no take up of slack in most situations, there will be one squeeze of the trigger from outside the trigger guard, and then if needed a reset and another shot, and continue. The effect of adreline and the fight or flight response makes the "taking up slack" method impractical anyways (as your fingers loose tacticle sensitivity). So I practice, with finger outside the trigger guard, until ready to shoot, then I pull with no take up. Reset. Pull again. Repeat. No staged taking up of the slack.
I'll have to disagree with you about the taking up the slack reducing tactile sensitivity. I'f I'm in the situation for an adrenaline dump I won't drawing unless I fully intend to pull the trigger ath the end of the drawstroke. I practice/train so that my movements are ingrained into muscle memory. I train so that my response is automatic. YMMV.

I understand what you are saying about the SD vs. the GLOCK. I have both and still prefer the GLOCK to the XD. Accuracy is just fine with the GLOCK but I use the top blade of the front sight for my focal point.

I find my biggest problem with the XD is that my eye gets drawn down to the silly loaded chamber indicatoron follow through to such a degree that I've had to color it black with a Sharpie.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:22 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,341,052 times
Turns out I'm a moron, lol, I wasn't shooting at 10 feet, I was shooting at 7 yards or 21 feet, if you wish, so significantly longer than I first thought.

Stupid assumption on my part, thinking that the first set of lights were at 10 feet, after thinking about it for a while, that seemed to short, so I checked their website and turns out the distance was a bit further than that.

So yeah, I shoot around 2inch groups with the G26 at 21 feet and fist sized groups with the P30L at the same length. Still, doesn't feel like it's too accurate to me, but I suppose it's not too bad for someone with a total of maybe 60 shots under his belt, if that.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
If from the first 60 shots you ever fired, say at least 50 would have hit a man-sized target at 7 yards - that's not Olympic shooting, but for the first 60 shots you ever fired, it ain't bad.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If from the first 60 shots you ever fired, say at least 50 would have hit a man-sized target at 7 yards - that's not Olympic shooting, but for the first 60 shots you ever fired, it ain't bad.
My worst group was with a small .38 revolver, that one was roughly 8 in in diameter, the wood grip was so slippery that I had to re-adjust my grip after every shot, because it recoiled almost out of my hand.

The P30L group (about 15 rounds) was roughly fist sized, so 4-4.5 in in diameter.

G26 was 2 in, but only 8-10 rounds or so.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:16 PM

Oh Damn it... just when I decided to just go ahead and buy the Ruger SR9C at the next gun show, I had to stop by Cabelas and get a feel for the new Walther PPQ... P30 style grips and Rugers SR9C style trigger!

Anyone have any experience with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting