U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times

Advertisements

Anyone done this? Were you ok with the results. Paint?

I've been using camo tape but for the cost I'm thinking it's time to just paint the old girl and be done with it.

But I'm chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:48 AM

2,929 posts, read 3,337,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

I've been using camo tape but for the cost I'm thinking it's time to just paint the old girl and be done with it.

But I'm chicken.
I had a buddy use camo dipping to camo his rifle. It works great, easy to do and it seems to be holding up well.

Camo Dip Kit

Old 08-31-2011, 09:42 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,905,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

But I'm chicken.
Oh yea! My son and I both camoed our ARs....used paint in coordination with our local color(use a good quality spray paint) and shot over pieces of sagebrush, tumbleweed etc for pattern. Did this with our bolt action varmint rifles as well. Quite happy with the results.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:11 PM

Well, good guys. I like that link too but not the price I'm getting more courage now that others have liked it.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:36 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,628,292 times
I'm not gonna camo my AR, I'm just gonna trade a few parts for dark earth and olive drab ones.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I'm not gonna camo my AR, I'm just gonna trade a few parts for dark earth and olive drab ones.
Cool. I have a very limited parts selection for this gun. It's a Remington Woodsmaster.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 AM

5,937 posts, read 8,500,331 times
Ummmm....okay - I'm gonna be the Lone Voice in the Wilderness here.....

I mean - really? Camo a gun? I've hunted all my life, and have tried any number of different things just to see the effect on wildlife. I've sat in ground "blinds" - nothing more than me leaning against a tree - and had everything from deer to squirrels walk by without even a glance - because I sat still. I've worn about every color out there without any notice - until I moved. In full camo, even without a gun, a movement equates to rapid evacuation of my area by just about all wildlife.

So, sorry....for me, camo on a gun ain't gonna happen - but if you like/want it, that's cool. Just don't expect any real "return" on the hunting side of it.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:08 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,117,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Ummmm....okay - I'm gonna be the Lone Voice in the Wilderness here.....

I mean - really? Camo a gun? I've hunted all my life, and have tried any number of different things just to see the effect on wildlife. I've sat in ground "blinds" - nothing more than me leaning against a tree - and had everything from deer to squirrels walk by without even a glance - because I sat still. I've worn about every color out there without any notice - until I moved. In full camo, even without a gun, a movement equates to rapid evacuation of my area by just about all wildlife.

So, sorry....for me, camo on a gun ain't gonna happen - but if you like/want it, that's cool. Just don't expect any real "return" on the hunting side of it.
In a word Turkeys.

Motion is numero uno.

However,

I've seen guys spend all morning calling in a big Tom only to have it turn and fly away at full speed before being shot. Every time I've seen this the hunter had not camouflaged his shotgun. Either with tape or paint.

To each his own I like to say.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:42 PM

5,937 posts, read 8,500,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
In a word Turkeys.

Motion is numero uno.

However,

I've seen guys spend all morning calling in a big Tom only to have it turn and fly away at full speed before being shot. Every time I've seen this the hunter had not camouflaged his shotgun. Either with tape or paint.

To each his own I like to say.
Hmmm....mebbe ours are dumber.... - but as you say, to each their own. I guess it's just the mental image I always get watching LEO's arrive in a city environment in "cammo" to respond to a call-out.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:59 PM

The biggest reason this old girl needs an overhaul is the bluing is slipping and the clear coat is chipping. Camo it is

Consider yourself lucky if your critters have a low IQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting