U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:57 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,705,528 times

Advertisements

I carried a .357 Mag for quite a few years, then....I did some research on the .41 Magnum and switched handguns. Since I reload, I can target shoot economically. I can create over 600 rounds from one pound of Blue Dot. 12.5 grains of powder pushing a 200 grain projectile, from muzzle to 75 yds downrange will only drop 3/4 of an inch. Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention, I like revolvers, my .41 Mag has a 6 inch barrel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 06:03 PM

8,042 posts, read 7,065,957 times
If you want more umph than 9mm and not as much as .45. Check out 40 S&W. Just be careful. For some reason, that caliber has more reliability problems feeding ammo than 9mm. I don't know why, that's just my experience. I love my .357 but I stick with wheel guns for that caliber.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:53 AM

5,586 posts, read 11,856,572 times
All things considered, while the 357 Desert Eagle sounds neat as heck and would be an attractive addition to any shooters stable, it's not. It's far too heavy to and large to carry. It's also REAL finicky about the ammo it shoots. You'll shoot 158gr full power loads or you won't shoot it at all. And some of the full house loads won't work the action 100% reliably. I played with one for 2 years attempting to handload for it. I had no luck at all even using non-canister powders. I finally gave up and sold it to yet another idiot that didn't know any better. If a 357 Mag is the goal, yer looking for a revolver. If you're looking for a carry gun, unless you are very well trained with a semiauto, you're looking for a double action revolver.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:30 PM

13,398 posts, read 42,760,536 times
I wonder if a heavier bullet would have helped? Did you try that?

Like I tried to explain in an earlier post, the .357 is just all wrong for an auto pistol - the rimmed, straight-sided case, and some of the bullets are not likely to help you out in the feeding department, because they were designed to be used in a revolver, or maybe a single-shot like a Contender.

If somebody really wants a .35 caliber or so auto pistol with considerable power, you can get a .38 Super, many of the 1911 type Supers you can get a match-chambered barrel and get some good accuracy. Or a .357 Sig. Both of these are pistols you can carry in a holster, conceal even if that's what you need to do.

The DE, I agree with Trapper, is just too damn big, compared to for example a good S&W revolver in .357, and does not offer any practical advantage over the wheelgun.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,856,572 times
M3 Mitch, I tried probably every 357 bullet made in all weights and all powders. The issue with these pistols is not the bullet weight or the velocity but the way the pressure curve builds in the gun for it to run reliably. The rim actually is not an issue if you saw how it stacks in the clip. It's just a marginally designed weapon with lots of issues.

The LEOs here are issued a 357 SIG but it's a round that won't be around long, kinda like the 45 GAP. It's a major pain to load for with the extremely short neck and it also requires a fairly blunt bullet to keep it below max COL. The 38 Super is a dandy round but it's not a 357 Mag even in the current state of the 357 Mag which is just a whisper of what it once was. Current SAAMI chamber pressures are now at 35,000 whereas design pressures are 47,500 CUPs. The Colts handle the old pressures good but the newer Smiths and imports are just dangerous with full house loads, hence the reduction in pressures. The 40SW is a good choice and is one of my carry chamberings...along with 45ACP, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 38 Clark, etc. Yeah, I'm a gun sicko.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:21 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,357,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I dread asking such questions on forums because I just know it's going to turn into a caliber war..
I really only see the caliper wars when it comes to normal pistol ammo. I found that the 9mm, 40 and 45 are just too anemic.
I doubt anyone would think less of the .357 mag. A fine round.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:41 PM

13,398 posts, read 42,760,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
M3 Mitch, I tried probably every 357 bullet made in all weights and all powders. The issue with these pistols is not the bullet weight or the velocity but the way the pressure curve builds in the gun for it to run reliably. The rim actually is not an issue if you saw how it stacks in the clip. It's just a marginally designed weapon with lots of issues.

The LEOs here are issued a 357 SIG but it's a round that won't be around long, kinda like the 45 GAP. It's a major pain to load for with the extremely short neck and it also requires a fairly blunt bullet to keep it below max COL. The 38 Super is a dandy round but it's not a 357 Mag even in the current state of the 357 Mag which is just a whisper of what it once was. Current SAAMI chamber pressures are now at 35,000 whereas design pressures are 47,500 CUPs. The Colts handle the old pressures good but the newer Smiths and imports are just dangerous with full house loads, hence the reduction in pressures. The 40SW is a good choice and is one of my carry chamberings...along with 45ACP, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 38 Clark, etc. Yeah, I'm a gun sicko.
Good info thanks. I have never shot or even handled a DE.

I would imagine the magazine works just like an overgrown .22 rimfire. Clearly it's possible to make a magazine for a rimmed round in an auto-pistol, but Dr. Browning always designed a rimless round (or nearly rimless to get really technical) for auto pistols, and I tend to think he knew what he was doing.

Odd to me that the .357 SIG is a PITA to load - at first glance it reminds me of the .30 Luger, which is a little-known sweetheart of a round - minor caliber of course, not for serious defensive use, but with a cast bullet, and I forget exactly how much Unique powder, it will stay on a beer bottle at around 40 yards provided I do my part. My particular Luger is quite OK with a slightly longer than spec round, these feed fine and the bullets are not getting crammed into the rifling lede, so I don't see any downside.

IMHO, to digress a bit more, shooting original Lugers means making peace with the barleycorn sights, and the rather unique trigger action - which is not as good as a Gold Cup, nor my old Officer's Model Heavy Barrel Match in .32 S&W (another sweetheart) but it can be managed.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:17 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,065,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I really only see the caliper wars when it comes to normal pistol ammo. I found that the 9mm, 40 and 45 are just too anemic.
I doubt anyone would think less of the .357 mag. A fine round.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I found the .357 to have a harsh recoil (almost more harsh than a .44M). Perhaps it was the weight of the gun that made the difference. (I use a S&W Model 29). Also, the .357 will go through quite a few walls before it stops.

A .357 is a high-velocity powerful caliber. I like it, but not sure what to use it for other than plinking. (That is what I use the .44 and .50 for).

Old 11-12-2011, 06:54 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,159,148 times
Back when I was single and had a disposable income I really wanted a Desert Eagle..., BAD. A friend of mine had just bought one and we took it out to the gravel pit for an afternoon of shooting. After that day, the desire to own one has NEVER made a re-appearance for me.

Love the .357 caliber, but I prefer to put them down the barrel of a wheel-gun.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:36 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,013,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I will likely stick to my wheelguns but the Desert Eagle shore is purdy.
Purdy? Yes, but boy it's a heavy beast that kicks like a mule!

My friend broke two bones in his right thumb from the recoil at the range before he sold his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting