U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-02-2011, 10:59 AM

4,466 posts, read 3,599,932 times
Default Re: UPIN number: or why the "delay" every time?

I always get a delay when making a firearm purchase. Not that I buy that many firearms, maybe 1-2/year but they have always come back as a delay for 5 days. Then just pick it up.
I read the FBI website about this and they site a number of reasons; however I have never had a law/legal problem except for a couple traffic tickets many years ago. My name "might" conflict with someone else, but

A friend of mine is a sherrif and he said that even he and a couple of his friends get delay's??

So, if I get a UPIN number or a concealed carry would that make any difference? Here in New Mexico I have heard different stories re: that also, as some people just go and buy a gun w/ a concealed permit (handgun) and or rifle and walk out while others have a delayed?

Have you or someone you know had/has this problem and what state.

HW..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 11:22 AM

29,990 posts, read 20,014,129 times
In New Mexico it is unlikely that a CCW would speed things along any faster. New Mexico is not one of the states which practices "point of contact" transfers.

ATF Online - Firearms - Brady Law / NICS - State Lists

The New Mexico firearms laws start on the bottom of page 310 at the following link:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-5.pdf

Old 10-02-2011, 12:13 PM

4,466 posts, read 3,599,932 times
Default RE: background checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
In New Mexico it is unlikely that a CCW would speed things along any faster. New Mexico is not one of the states which practices "point of contact" transfers.

ATF Online - Firearms - Brady Law / NICS - State Lists

The New Mexico firearms laws start on the bottom of page 310 at the following link:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-5.pdf
Thanks for the links and I have reviewed/read them. The POC is interesting re some states: i.e. CA, Wa. where I have bought firearms without a problem..
HW

Old 10-02-2011, 04:56 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,358,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
I always get a delay when making a firearm purchase. Not that I buy that many firearms, maybe 1-2/year but they have always come back as a delay for 5 days. Then just pick it up.
I read the FBI website about this and they site a number of reasons; however I have never had a law/legal problem except for a couple traffic tickets many years ago. My name "might" conflict with someone else, but

A friend of mine is a sherrif and he said that even he and a couple of his friends get delay's??

So, if I get a UPIN number or a concealed carry would that make any difference? Here in New Mexico I have heard different stories re: that also, as some people just go and buy a gun w/ a concealed permit (handgun) and or rifle and walk out while others have a delayed?

Have you or someone you know had/has this problem and what state.

HW..
A UPIN would help, it uniquely identifies you in the NICS system so any NICS checks would only return information about you (of course that means submitting a bunch of PII to the FBI, which you may take issue to).

A concealed license from NM is useless, a Utah issued license could be useful, it's classified as a background alternative by the FBI, and thus "pre-qualifies" you so you need not undergo a NICS check, however not all FFL's will accept an out of state concealed carry license without performing a NICS check. Of course if you hold and present an out of state license at the point of sale, and a NICS check returns a delayed result it doesn't look good for you to the FFL...

The problem lies in that your identifying information is returning multiple hits within the NICS system, and that one of the returned hits is a prohibited person (or their alias). While this may seem to be unlikely, may I suggest performing a web search using Google/Bing/Yahoo/Whatever on your name and seeing the number of returns you get, and how many actually are about you.

If NICS has to investigate they need to eliminate all prohibited possibilities as being you. They have 3 days to perform this, if they do not get back to the FFL in those 3 days the FFL can legally automatically proceed. This only applies to states where the FFL's directly contact NICS, if your state has a POC/PPOC this may not apply.

Ultimately when you consider the number of people, the number of disqualifying conditions, and the number of aliases that people are known by to the Law Enforcement Community of the US, I'm actually surprised that delayed isn't the standard outcome of NICS checks. All it requires is an active warrant from any state for someone who could quite legitimately be mistaken for you being issued, or a DV restraining order issued in any state under the same conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
New Mexico is not one of the states which practices "point of contact" transfers.
Not to be argumentative here, but this is not relevant. "Point of contact" or "partial point of contact" states are required to perform a NICS check anyway (except as mentioned above where the purchaser holds a background alternative) just not by the FFL.

They're acting as intermediaries to NICS. Normally this is because
  • there are additional state imposed disqualifying conditions
  • that your state of residence has more up to date information on your immediate legal status than NICS (under 30 days) and is anally retentive about it
  • or is used to help enforce any state required waiting periods (most commonly for handguns).
Now, POC/PPOC may seem to be more efficient, however since they perform a NICS check anyway, it defies logic that they can be. Unless of course the local or state police have mistakenly filed a disqualifying condition to the NCIC, and then they're just cleaning up their own mess.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 PM

17,623 posts, read 22,043,857 times
Ok, I really don't understand. I have a CCW and when I go in to purchase, I walk out with the gun. They look at my CCW number and never make a single phone call. I'm good to go. In my state, if you have a CCW, your background is already done. Are you saying that they still want to run checks and delay you?

Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,358,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Ok, I really don't understand. I have a CCW and when I go in to purchase, I walk out with the gun. They look at my CCW number and never make a single phone call. I'm good to go. In my state, if you have a CCW, your background is already done. Are you saying that they still want to run checks and delay you?
Per ATF Online - Firearms - Brady Law / NICS - Permit Chart Wyoming CCW is a background alternative.

NM CCW is not a background alternative to NICS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting