Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:09 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I have a Micro Desert Eagle in .380. The thing is tiny, you can drop in your pocket. Less kick than a .38, but neither of them have much. I like the size. Stopping power of either is suspect, but I use jacketed hollowpoints with a steel pin in the middle, so I think that will help.
Personally, I picked the .380 for the gf, as she has tiny hands, didn't want huge recoil (I had her try a S&W model 500 just for fun), could carry it inconspicuously, and was really simple to operate. However, I prefer revolvers, as they are simpler.

But, as we all know, count your shots.
The .380 ACP hollowpoint should be enough to stop a home intruder or for self-protection on the outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 12:58 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
The .380 ACP hollowpoint should be enough to stop a home intruder or for self-protection on the outside.
That is what I thought. My very first gun was a 1911-style S&W 4506, and the thing was huge, and it had considerable recoil. But back then I was young and foolish. Now I am no longer young. (it would also rain hot shells down on your head, and with an unbuttoned shirt, they hurt)
I really like the compact size of the .380. It's no hand cannon, but I believe it will do its job (which I pray will never, ever, ever happen)

Old 05-18-2012, 03:21 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
That is what I thought. My very first gun was a 1911-style S&W 4506, and the thing was huge, and it had considerable recoil. But back then I was young and foolish. Now I am no longer young. (it would also rain hot shells down on your head, and with an unbuttoned shirt, they hurt)
I really like the compact size of the .380. It's no hand cannon, but I believe it will do its job (which I pray will never, ever, ever happen)
I'm not so young either. LOL

The .380 was suggested to me by the sports store owner I bought it from. There's little to no recoil but it's very loud and is effective from 25yds to 45 or 47 yds. The hollow point was suggested for in house protection so that it doesn't exit the target/intruder and travel outside possibly hitting an innocent bystander leading to criminal charges for me.

I did get a license to carry (self protection) since I'm out at night and that's when the majority of the crimes happen here.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I might be talked into carrying a .360 in public (see street) if that was all that I could have but with all of the different models of .9mm, .40 S&W's and .45 ACP's with the dimensions of a good .380, I would never do it by choice. But for the home, I'd rather have a baseball bat.

Frankly, I don't have a lot of faith in 9mms for a defensive round, so no I don't think a .380 is enough to stop a home intruder unless you are a very good marksman and a very lucky one to boot.

If the problem is recoil, use the .380 at the range, because when you are scared enough to use a gun in self-defense the last thing I think you are going to be aware of is recoil.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:34 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
I carry a pocket .380 (either one of my Sig P238's, or one of my Colt Mustangs I collect) - but do NOT feel "well armed" OR "well protected" with either. It beats a stick, but that's about it. I'm not feeling properly "heeled" unless there's either a .357 or (at minimum) at .40 on me. Period.

Don't get me wrong - the .380 is often the best possible compromise given the situation for many - but to think that you're going to stop some amped-up crack head.....you're gonna die trying. Not enough punch to put someone down - and that's what you need.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:17 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
I realize we get a little hesitant about a small caliber that is below acceptable. I guess it depends upon where you hang out or live. Meth heads and crack heads stay in their own areas - areas that I don't visit or inhabit.

Though my 380 is a nice pocket carry. My G36 or G27 is my Spring/Summer carry, unless carrying the absolute minimum is required.

My p238 has a 7 round mag so 8 rounds is a good number to have (in any service caliber).

Old 05-22-2012, 10:51 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
I bought the wife a Bersa .380, she's in love with it..it's nothing for her to go through a couple hundred rounds at the range, she likes it for the next to zero recoil and size. She's shot my Glock 23 and doesn't like it - kicks too much and she's not a fan of the grip. We bought a 9mm Taurus, i've shot it, she hasn't yet but I doubt she'll have a problem with it. Rubberized grip and little recoil.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I bought the wife a Bersa .380, she's in love with it..
I'm sorry your wife left you...

Seriously, if it's a good fit for her, builds her confidence in the weapon, and results in more practice she has solved 75% of the puzzle. A .380 that hits the target is a far better weapon than a .44 mag that doesn't.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:34 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm sorry your wife left you...

Seriously, if it's a good fit for her, builds her confidence in the weapon, and results in more practice she has solved 75% of the puzzle. A .380 that hits the target is a far better weapon than a .44 mag that doesn't.
She'd never go for a .44. I think for her, a 9mm is all she'll be comfortable handling without flinching. The. 380 is great, I was a little dubious on its reliability when I bought it. Other than a bad mag causing misfeeds, its been rock solid though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
I'm considering either a .380 or .38 for pocket carry, would like some recommendations. The two I'm leaning towards are either a PPK (Interarms) or a S&W J frame (shrouded or internal hammer, hopefully without the internal lock if I can find one).
I have a Colt Mustang I bought back in 1994. The little pistol is easy to conceal when I wear shorts and a tank top. The recoil is light and more of a slight twisting effect than a recoil. Not as good as a .44 special but much better than a .22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting