Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:03 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I'm sure you noticed that the Holder comments you cited were made better than two years ago, in February of 2009, shortly after Obama's inauguration. I'm also sure you have noticed that there has been no such action, or even a hint of said action, since Holder (not Obama) made those unfortunate comments.
Obama has gotten two virulently anti-gun rights appointees onto the Supreme Court. Both lied in their Congressional hearings that they considered the recent 2nd Amendment cases in favor of individual ownership to be "settled law". Kagan has come out with an entirely different line of reasoning about Heller since being seated on the court, and Sotomayor is in apparent agreement with the dissenters on that decision which was only 5-4.

The obvious purpose of the US gov't gun running operation to Mexico was to "prove" that the primary source of illegal firearms in the drug violence down South was the USA legal gun sales ... a very heavily regulated business ... providing the arms. With the disclosure that the US Gov't even funded some of the buyers, ordered the legal gun dealers to allow obviously illegal buyers to purchase firemarms, and then allow those firearms to get across the border without the (allegedly intended) tracking devices in them ... shows a totally sloppy disdain for the laws which law abiding firearms dealers and owners comply with. Even at that, now caught with their hand in the cookie jar, Holder's AG office has issued directives to the legal gun dealers in 4 states to now report sales to the Fed. There's no law authorizing or directing such reporting, Holder has simply issued the directive and has the power via the FFL system to force the legal dealers into compliance at risk of losing their businesses. Last time I checked, the AG serves at the pleasure of the President.

Another appaling aspect of the whole gun running scheme was that the US Gov't was trying to prove that firearms that are illegal in the US ... such as fully automatic weapons traded or owned without the special tax stamp on them ... were commonly available and traded in the USA and the source of these in Mexico. The only folk who would buy into that concept as correct haven't been into too many ... if any ... legal gun stores in the USA. You simply won't find these weapons available over the counter; they are a specialty item in very expensive limited transactions. But down in Mexico, you'll find them being used by the drug gangs ... supplied to them from other countries or through their own military channels.

With the cost of bulk firearms from many other countries being readily available for much less money than here in the USA, it doesn't make sense for a global drug business operation to buy here in the USA. Nor are grenades or such military weapons available at legal gun dealers here in the USA, but the Mexican drug gangs have them in their arsenals.

On other fronts, the administration is showing support for international treaties and UN directives which would ban private firearms ownership. They've been urging Congress to sign several international treaties that haven't been passed in prior years. That again is a clear indication of their anti-firearms in private hands position.

They've also signed up a lot of US territory into UN zones which are ostensibly under UN regulations. You have but to see the "heritage site" signage when heading into many parks and other public lands to know they've been unilateraly signed up by this administration. These USA public lands are now legally allowed to have UN blue hat troops on them to enforce UN laws in precedence over USA laws and our constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 05:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
On other fronts, the administration is showing support for international treaties and UN directives which would ban private firearms ownership. They've been urging Congress to sign several international treaties that haven't been passed in prior years. That again is a clear indication of their anti-firearms in private hands position.
I have seen this one many, MANY times before. Each and every time all I have to do is point out one simple fact -- nothing can supercede the United States Constitution -- absolutely NOTHING. That includes, by the way, each and every treaty that has been or may be signed and ratified by the United States government.

Dare I also point out that NO President can unilaterally commit the United States to any treaty? Nope, because the Congress must also ratify it. Remember the Kyoto Accords????

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
They've also signed up a lot of US territory into UN zones which are ostensibly under UN regulations. You have but to see the "heritage site" signage when heading into many parks and other public lands to know they've been unilateraly signed up by this administration. These USA public lands are now legally allowed to have UN blue hat troops on them to enforce UN laws in precedence over USA laws and our constitution.
With all due respect, see my response above regarding constitutional supremacy. If you have problems with it, take it to any attorney whose speciality is constitutional law. He/she will tell you the very same thing.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Obama's anti-gun agenda?

Why, it's stated by his AG Eric Holder right here:

Holder Revives Talk Of An Assault Weapons Ban - - CBS News
And this: Obama Looking For Ways Around Congress On Gun Policy

and this:
Obama

Old 11-18-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I had not seen this one. Its a good article too. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
and this:
Obama
So is this one. Again, thanks.

Also please note that both articles are talking about the stiffening/tightening of the enforcement of current laws. Though not exactly the way the National Rifle Association stated it, this is essentially what the NRA has been after for decades. It makes sense, too, because nearly all of the high-profile gun-related tragedies in the past few years would never have happened if existing laws had been stringently enforced. The Virginia Tech shootings are but one example.

=========================================

Look, folks, I'm as pro-Second-Amendment as anyone. I have owned firearms since the age of 10, and I still do. I have been quite active politically in pro-Second-Amendment matters since 1967, when I became old enough to vote. I have taken the time to seriously study Constitutional law and related matters. In other words, when it comes to matters of the Constitution and treaties, and how they affect gun ownership, I happen to know my a** from third base.

I am getting really tired of the "Wolf! Wolf!" rhetoric since early 2008. As I said earlier, this created a self-fulfilling prophecy in 2008-2009, when all the panic-buying and -hoarding created the very firearm and ammunition shortages the wolf-criers feared. These shortages were, in turn, used to justify the continued crying of "Wolf! Wolf!" when in fact it was our own damned fault. We did it to ourselves, plain and simple.

You want to cry "Wolf! Wolf!"? Fine, but if you want me to tag along, you'd dang well better be able to show me some wolf-tracks.

With regards to all and enmity to none,

-- Nighteyes

Old 11-19-2011, 01:59 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,379 times
Shooters Heard: Interior Will Not Ban Target Practice - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

Shooters Heard: Interior Will Not Ban Target Practice

November 17, 2011 RSS Feed Print
Under fire from gun owners concerned about draft guidelines that could limit areas for target practice on western public lands, the Interior Department today said it would make sure shooters still have access to lands long available for firearms recreation.

"Our goal is to leave lands open to shooting," said an Interior official for the Bureau of Land Management, which is drafting guidelines to deal with the growing clash between skittish urbanites moving to western wilderness areas and America's tradition of letting gun owners shoot targets on public lands.

"We don't want to have to close any areas," said an official as BLM provided Washington Whispers with a statement clarifying the developing guidelines.

"We are in no way interested in banning recreational target shooting, hunting, or fishing—on the contrary, our goal is to develop guidance that will help land managers maximize and preserve opportunities for recreational shooting," said the BLM statement

-------------------------

Of course bureaucrats are known for lying through their teeth. They'll tell you one thing and then slyly find a way to do another.

I suspect that they'll let this sit for a while so as not to make recreational shooters irate... let people forget about it, and then just do the incrementalism thing. When large scale efforts fail, incrementalism is always a viable the back-up plan.

They'll close down an area here or there... slowly.... methodically..... "no big deal," they'll say.... "We're just doing it to this particular area because its not multi-use compatible..." and many target shooters may even buy it and so won't say much. Then they'll close down another small area to further placate the urbanites.... "okay, no big deal..." some will rationalize. Give it fifty years, then come back and revisit the issue and see what they have done in that time span. Then you'll see the insidiousness of incrementalism.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:21 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
Nighteyes the main reason obamma hasn't implemented his anti-gun wants is due to diligent pro gun agencies finding out and enlightening the masses of true gun owners to this. So we can get our congressmen to vote against his ludicrous desires. Being in his mind he is king and all........

Old 11-26-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Nighteyes the main reason obamma hasn't implemented his anti-gun wants is due to diligent pro gun agencies finding out and enlightening the masses of true gun owners to this. So we can get our congressmen to vote against his ludicrous desires. Being in his mind he is king and all........
Opinions are just like noses -- everybody's got one, and most of 'em smell (mine included).

On the other hand, the facts are the facts are the facts. Show me some facts (aka wolf tracks) and I'll be right withya. Until then...

Old 12-13-2011, 06:00 PM

212 posts, read 320,434 times
once he gets re-elected, and can't be prez again, WATCH what happens.He's a lib dem to the CORE and they ALL think that they know what's best for us, and that means no guns.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
once he gets re-elected, and can't be prez again, WATCH what happens.He's a lib dem to the CORE and they ALL think that they know what's best for us, and that means no guns.
That's painting with an extremely broad brush, dontcha think? "They ALL..."?

Come now, liberal Democrats are too danged independent in their views on any given topic to ever be unanimous. That's their fatal flaw, you see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting