Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,086,021 times

Advertisements

Been bird and rabbit hunting for years...but got my first deer. Woot! Just had to brag. That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 10:25 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,587,189 times
Where are the pics?

Old 11-17-2012, 03:09 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,509,148 times
Seriously some details are always nice. Pics are good as well.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Seriously some details are always nice. Pics are good as well.
Heh...sorry. I am hanging him at a friend's house and didn't think to snap pics.

I was in a tree stand thinking I wasn't going to get one. It was my last day of hunting for the early season. I figured I'd just shoot a doe....and he comes trotting down the hill. From a distance he looked like a doe, but it's a little button buck. Oh well.....good enough to eat. I'll try for a bigger one in the late season.

Either I'm a bad shot, or he moved at the last second or my scope isn't sighted well. He was facing me almost head on...I aimed for his chest but hit him in the middle of his back about 3 inches below the spine. He dropped almost immediately without running.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:49 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,939,275 times
Hey congratulations! My memory of my first deer: "man thats a lot of guts"!

Old 11-17-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Hey congratulations! My memory of my first deer: "man thats a lot of guts"!
lol...yup. I think I surprised the landowner because I sliced it open and was reaching up into it to gut it. I wasn't squeamish...just didn't really know what I was doing.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,869,045 times
It didn't happen with out pics.........

Congrats man.... get some pics ........

If your'e up to it and don't want the sinew I do.... Will trade.
I see a deer as a walking tool kit...... Sewing tools and meat.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,251 posts, read 8,618,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Either I'm a bad shot, or he moved at the last second or my scope isn't sighted well. He was facing me almost head on...I aimed for his chest but hit him in the middle of his back about 3 inches below the spine. He dropped almost immediately without running.
Congratulations, one shot and dropped him where he stood.... nothing wrong with that

Old 11-18-2012, 12:15 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,743,952 times
Way I read it, you were shooting "downhill" - that always results in a higher point of impact. If you're going to shoot from an elevated stand at relatively close (100 yards or less) range, it'd behoove you to sight the gun in like that, as well. Once sighted in for your "common" shooting, then run a few rounds in the other mode (ie, zero'd for shooting from above, then shoot from level ground) and make note of impact change. You don't want to change the "zero" from your normal shooting, just know what changes, and then change your aim-point on the animal if you're shooting from a different position than it was zero'd for.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Way I read it, you were shooting "downhill" - that always results in a higher point of impact. If you're going to shoot from an elevated stand at relatively close (100 yards or less) range, it'd behoove you to sight the gun in like that, as well. Once sighted in for your "common" shooting, then run a few rounds in the other mode (ie, zero'd for shooting from above, then shoot from level ground) and make note of impact change. You don't want to change the "zero" from your normal shooting, just know what changes, and then change your aim-point on the animal if you're shooting from a different position than it was zero'd for.
Yes....I was probably 15-20 feet above the animal. He was coming down a hill to a valley of sorts...then I was on the hill on the other side, in a tree stand. I sighted my gun last year shooting slightly downhill but not that much. I also should have re-sighted it this year but I didn't. This was actually the first and only time I've shot it since last January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting