U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 08:43 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,350,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
And some one might assume that all you have to do is buy this stuff, throw it in a closet and Viola!, you have ammo. It's not that simple as I know you are aware. The costs of a press, dies, calipers, trimmers, deburring tools, priming tools, powder measure, scale, funnels, lubes, etc are not in your figures. Some are items that are used up, some you can use many times but you still have to spend the money on these items BEFORE any of the other items can be used to make ammo. It still goes back to, if you are reloading to save money, you're only fooling yerself. You reload to tailor a load to each individual weapon for a particular need. What I load for a 308 may vary a lot. I can load heavier hunting bullets for large game animals or I can load bullets designed for small game like varmints. I can load a 3006 up to military specs or I can load down enough that a child can shoot one, like I do for the Boy Scouts who enjoy shooting 03A3's. It's about being able to load what works best for the conditions, not saving any money. And if you do reload, probabilities are real high yer shooting more. So there is no money saved.....but don't tell the other half that.
How fast can you push a 180 out of the '06 without being over warm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 09:50 AM

5,586 posts, read 11,856,572 times
The SAAMI accepted pressures for the 3006 case is 60,000 PSI as tested with a piezo sensor at the head of the case. From the Hodgdon website, you can get right at 2800'ps using H4350 powder excluding any variables from gun to gun and barrel length.
Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

Old 12-13-2011, 11:50 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,545,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
I have a .223 bushmaster and doing a "lot" of shooting (target & varmit-prairie dogs.yotes)...

Is it worth it to reloading, Not a fast machine reloader, just one at a time or just buy the best ammo for the price...

55gr. and 65 gr. there abouts?

Thanks in advance..

I buy new lots of .223/556mm ammo and reload them. I like the 72 graind bullets to be used in my cases.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:58 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,597,932 times
I believe it is a crime but I would never make my own bullets. Years ago there was a few guys who guaranteed their reloads and they were a few $$ cheaper so we picked up a few boxes....

Great stuff and nare a misfire untilone day we had 4 in a single bag...Since that time we buy new.....Too much at stake when we use our Car15...We are Vietnam Vets who do understand the Car15...

Old 12-14-2011, 02:34 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,856,572 times
Quote:
Too much at stake when we use our Car15
Then I'd suggest that you quit shooting altogether. Winchester Ranger ammo has a recall on lots numbers DK01,11,21,31,41, and 51, all in 5.56 with the 64 gr bullet. The ammo is loaded with the wrong powder and will cause damage to the gun and possibly the shooter. You don't have to be a Googlemaster to find out that all makers of ammo have recalls for unsafe factory ammo. At least i can say I've never had an issue in the 40 years I've been loading my own. And that would represent hundreds of thousands of rounds considering I was shooting over 1000 rounds a week.
Semper fi.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:45 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,597,932 times
Quote:
Then I'd suggest that you quit shooting altogether. Winchester Ranger ammo has a recall on lots numbers DK01,11,21,31,41, and 51, all in 5.56 with the 64 gr bullet. The ammo is loaded with the wrong powder and will cause damage to the gun and possibly the shooter. You don't have to be a Googlemaster to find out that all makers of ammo have recalls for unsafe factory ammo. At least i can say I've never had an issue in the 40 years I've been loading my own. And that would represent hundreds of thousands of rounds considering I was shooting over 1000 rounds a week.
Semper fi.

Thanks TraperL and thanks for your service.

It is obvious you are an expert in arms and ammunition. I am not even an elementary grade student in the field of reloading. So I would rely on your expertise and those companies that make ammunition.

I do know and understand weaponry and enjoy what I shoot...

WHOOAH - RLTW
http://armyrangers.toplawblog.info/army-rangers/running-cadences-us-army-rangers/

Old 12-15-2011, 08:39 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,350,236 times
Quote:
The SAAMI accepted pressures for the 3006 case is 60,000 PSI as tested with a piezo sensor at the head of the case. From the Hodgdon website, you can get right at 2800'ps using H4350 powder excluding any variables from gun to gun and barrel length.
Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com
So at about 180 grains you start to see where the '06 excels over the .308?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting