U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM

4,461 posts, read 3,344,202 times
Question .223 buy new ammo vs. reloading

I have a .223 bushmaster and doing a "lot" of shooting (target & varmit-prairie dogs.yotes)...

Is it worth it to reloading, Not a fast machine reloader, just one at a time or just buy the best ammo for the price...

55gr. and 65 gr. there abouts?

Thanks in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 04:06 PM

6,516 posts, read 13,491,207 times
Back when .223 was $0.99 a box of 20 it was not worth reloading. At $5 a box I reload.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 PM

164 posts, read 103,630 times
Definitely reload. I run the plinking ammo on the progressive, the stuff for serious shooting is done on a single stage.

If I may make one more comment. You should pick up a small base die for resizing your cases. Really does make a world of difference with auto-loaders with tight chambers like the AR.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:21 PM

8,737 posts, read 20,561,569 times
Hunter, if you don't want to spring for a Dillon (and you strike me as the type who will own one eventually) you might want to think about a Lee Turrett press, it's reasonably fast.

Another point is to try to keep your brass clean, don't load a case that has dirt or even a small stone in it.

Needless to say I think it's worth reloading.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:32 PM

I prefer Carbide dies for easier loading with less lube. They cost more but after you use one you feel pampered.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:25 PM

7,089 posts, read 7,794,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I prefer Carbide dies for easier loading with less lube. They cost more but after you use one you feel pampered.
I too am a purist when it comes to Carbide. I have both a Dillon and a Lee, the Lee is only used for .41 Mag handgun rounds, the Dillon is for .270 and 7mmMag.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:23 AM

I use my Lee for all rounds. My father in law has offered his Dillon but I resist.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 AM

8,310 posts, read 19,916,152 times

Dillon 550b Speed test - Loading 50 rounds 5.56.... - YouTube

Interesting...

Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,773,984 times
^^^^Yeah, I'd say interesting too. Not once did that moron check to see if the powder actually fell in the case. And then folks wonder why they have bullets lodged in the barrels or worse, blow one up from these "quick" reloading presses. They can be safe to use, but this clown doesn't have a clue.

I reload everything except rimfire. If you are looking for cheap, keep looking as reloading isn't it. Once you factor in the press, dies, calipers, trimmer, deburring tools, shell holders, tumbler, media, lubes, bench, powders, bullets, brass, and all the other crapola, it's not saving you anything. But if you like shooting the most accurate ammo possible in your gun, reloading is the best way to do that, especially if you get into wildcat cartridges. It opens up a variety of bullets that you can't get with factory ammo. In some cases, you can exceed the velocity of factory ammo but the primary reason for reloading is for accuracy, not cost savings because it just isn't there. While I probably have more equipment than most and certainly more than you would need to start, I'm sitting on over 10 grand worth of equipment, not counting any loaded ammo. But there's not much I can't do with reloading including forming cases. It can be interesting hobby but it's far from a money saver.

In regards to the bullet weights, unless you know the twist rate of the Bushy, it may not stabilize anything heavier than a 55gr. If it's a 1:9" twist of tighter, yer good to go on those. I'd suggest the 62gr pills. If you do get into reloading a near max load of Varget under a 62gr yields near one hole groups at 100 yds from my AR platforms. If you can get yer hands on some of the Lake City 62gr FMJ at a cheap price, they don't know it but they shoot with match bullets all day.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:49 AM

8,310 posts, read 19,916,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
^^^^Yeah, I'd say interesting too. Not once did that moron check to see if the powder actually fell in the case. And then folks wonder why they have bullets lodged in the barrels or worse, blow one up from these "quick" reloading presses. They can be safe to use, but this clown doesn't have a clue.

I reload everything except rimfire. If you are looking for cheap, keep looking as reloading isn't it. Once you factor in the press, dies, calipers, trimmer, deburring tools, shell holders, tumbler, media, lubes, bench, powders, bullets, brass, and all the other crapola, it's not saving you anything. But if you like shooting the most accurate ammo possible in your gun, reloading is the best way to do that, especially if you get into wildcat cartridges. It opens up a variety of bullets that you can't get with factory ammo. In some cases, you can exceed the velocity of factory ammo but the primary reason for reloading is for accuracy, not cost savings because it just isn't there. While I probably have more equipment than most and certainly more than you would need to start, I'm sitting on over 10 grand worth of equipment, not counting any loaded ammo. But there's not much I can't do with reloading including forming cases. It can be interesting hobby but it's far from a money saver.

In regards to the bullet weights, unless you know the twist rate of the Bushy, it may not stabilize anything heavier than a 55gr. If it's a 1:9" twist of tighter, yer good to go on those. I'd suggest the 62gr pills. If you do get into reloading a near max load of Varget under a 62gr yields near one hole groups at 100 yds from my AR platforms. If you can get yer hands on some of the Lake City 62gr FMJ at a cheap price, they don't know it but they shoot with match bullets all day.
Like this?

M16 Blows up in Kids Face - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting