U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-13-2012, 05:03 PM

1,266 posts, read 215,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
So at what age can one own a SBR or AOW in Virginia.
Class III items are 21 Federal.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 05:10 PM

You also have to be 21 now for a stripped AR lower. They have no idea what you are doing with it after you leave.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:32 PM

Of course everyone has an extra one laying around from when they went on sale just for a future SBR build. I need to send it off to get my name and address engraved on the trigger guard next.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:25 PM

414 posts, read 520,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
Class III items are 21 Federal.
Ok... looks like i'll have to chop er down to ah modest 16inch barrel -_-.
Thank you for the feedback.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:40 PM

1,877 posts, read 1,458,609 times
It's your gun do what you want with it, I don't care. Still, you will irritate some people if you cut down a useful weapon and make it into a toy, just a warning. Some long dead Russian armorer put sweat and workmanship into that rifle, and it is a part of history. You will never know the stories of the men that possibly carried it. It is a tool to me and I am not sentimental, just don't be surprised if some people see it differently than me.

Also, be careful that you follow the rules or you will go to jail and have your firearm rights revoked. Remember that the barrel length is from the bolt face to the end of the barrel. The best way to measure this is to close the bolt and drop a dowel down the barrel so that it rests on the bolt face, then make your mark on the dowel. If you measure with the bolt removed, your measurement will be off by the length of the bolt. Cutting down to 16.5" will not be as short as you may think it would be. Leave yourself plenty of cushion, because if you mess up and cut it too short you just illegally manufactured and possessed a SBR.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
Ok... looks like i'll have to chop er down to ah modest 16inch barrel -_-.
Thank you for the feedback.
After you turn 21, they let you play with all the good stuff!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:41 PM

17,309 posts, read 13,816,105 times
May as well use a sawed off shotgun with a slug. Same barrel jump and about as accurate. Which it ain't.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 453 times
there's a guy who did it with an SVD. This would be more practical because its semi auto. Ideally, I would some day like to make a revolver that can fire a 7.62x54r.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:34 PM

4,988 posts, read 4,016,288 times
Must you have that rifle or would you be content with a pistol that shoots the cartridge?

If it's the latter get a T/C Encore pistol and have a custom barrel made for it. There are several gunsmiths who specialize in this. By starting with a pistol frame you won't be making an AOW. The minimum barrel length shouldn't be much longer and the single shot action will reduce overall length.

I've fired an Encore chambered in .30-06, a round very much like the 7.62x54R. Recoil is very stiff but not impossible. Then again, perhaps you would be just as happy with the .30-06; it's just as impressive and you could cut the barrel. But you may get serious base expansion (read deformation) even with a jacketed bullet.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 PM

13 posts, read 9,027 times
You can get around the SBR deal by reproducing a mosin receiver(not hard for any body who can run a Bridgeport and lathe good enough to single point threads) and building it as a pistol from the start, using a donor gun for all the other parts(barrel bolt stock etc) just cut the stock to a PG before you start the receiver to avoid any possible "constructive intent". Doing it that way, as long as you get a licensed gunsmith to build the receiver, or you do all the work yourself is totally kosher on the fed level and no different than any handgun buying restrictions in your state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting