Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:16 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,384 times

Advertisements

I know it's a weird question but for somereason the 7.62x54r alawys seem louder than the .308's on youtube. From your real world experience which of the two are louder and what are there specfic sound characteristics, Crack, Boom, Pop ect. Im just curious.
Thanks for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
I know it's a weird question but for somereason the 7.62x54r alawys seem louder than the .308's on youtube. From your real world experience which of the two are louder and what are there specfic sound characteristics, Crack, Boom, Pop ect. Im just curious.
Thanks for the feedback!
7.62X51MM (.308 Win) out of a M14/M1A or AR-10 has a very low "boom" and rumble to it. You can feel the shockwave in your chest, at your feet, and hear it ripple through the trees. Yeah, it's usually loud enough for others on the range to stop shooting and say..."what the hell?" LOL I personally feel both are pretty close. YMMV

Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
7.62X51MM (.308 Win) out of a M14/M1A or AR-10 has a very low "boom" and rumble to it. You can feel the shockwave in your chest, at your feet, and hear it ripple through the trees. Yeah, it's usually loud enough for others on the range to stop shooting and say..."what the hell?" LOL I personally feel both are pretty close. YMMV
Will it sound the same out of a G3 clone?

Last edited by Mister Miaugie; 02-16-2012 at 03:41 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Will it sound out of a G3 clone?
That's another that will sound that way. .308 Win has a very low "boom" when fired. The .223 (5.56x45mm) has more of a higher pitch crack to it. They sound different. The rumble on the ground and shockwave from the .308 hurts some shooters ears. If they are shootin' a .22LR next to you, they usually move down a few lanes or leave all together! LOL

Old 02-16-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
That's another that will sound that way. .308 Win has a very low "boom" when fired. The .223 (5.56x45mm) has more of a higher pitch crack to it. They sound different. The rumble on the ground and shockwave from the .308 hurts some shooters ears. If they are shootin' a .22LR next to you, they usually move down a few lanes or leave all together! LOL
You've just made me feel REEEEEEAL stupid >_<. (I edited my post after you responded) Is that why you've given me such an embarrassing answer?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
You've just made me feel REEEEEEAL stupid >_<. (I edited my post after you responded) Is that why you've given me such an embarrassing answer?
No, I could care less about typos and misspelled words. Only mall ninjas are grammar Nazis! I knew exactly what you meant! What does an HK G3 sound like? You have your answer Sir!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 PM

One last question, firing a g3 clone out of a16in barrel how close is too loud w/o hearing protection in an urban area? On 4th july people were engaging in celebratory gun fire and it got loud. I guess they were using pistols, I just wanna get a feel how close in meters in an suburban area is too loud/too scary and uncomfortable to other people. (I have know idea how far away the celebratory 4th of julyers were.)

Old 02-16-2012, 07:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
One last question, firing a g3 clone out of a16in barrel how close is too loud w/o hearing protection in an urban area? On 4th july people were engaging in celebratory gun fire and it got loud. I guess they were using pistols, I just wanna get a feel how close in meters in an suburban area is too loud/too scary and uncomfortable to other people. (I have know idea how far away the celebratory 4th of julyers were.)

My discomfort level with hearing celebratory shooting has nothing to do with sound and everything about not knowing where that round is going to come down (what goes up must come down). That round can carry well over 1.5 miles away.

A person is legally, morally, and financially responsible for every round that leaves his/her barrel.

Pointing a muzzle up in the air and firing in celebration is the sign of an idiot.

Rule #4
Know your target and what is beyond.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

My discomfort level with hearing celebratory shooting has nothing to do with sound and everything about not knowing where that round is going to come down (what goes up must come down). That round can carry well over 1.5 miles away.

A person is legally, morally, and financially responsible for every round that leaves his/her barrel.

Pointing a muzzle up in the air and firing in celebration is the sign of an idiot.

Rule #4
Know your target and what is beyond.
I've already viewed the statics, people die every new years from falling bullets.
BUT PLEASE answer me question.(you or someone else)

Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I've already viewed the statics, people die every new years from falling bullets.
BUT PLEASE answer me question.(you or someone else)
It's louder with the shorter barrel. Those M1A SOCOMS are pretty dang loud too. You won't fire more than twenty if you don't want your ears to ring for a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting