Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:53 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Inform good people how to protect themsleves sure, but I would not want to help a crook become a better armed crook. Let those sleeping dogs lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Inform good people how to protect themsleves sure, but I would not want to help a crook become a better armed crook. Let those sleeping dogs lie.
They do when they get their FBI phone call.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Really? You have to be 21 to have a high-capacity mag?
Yup right here in good old virginia.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:27 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
Yup right here in good old virginia.
Yer folks' go ape bonkers then in Texas.... Heck, my .22 Gatling gun sports a pair of 100-round mags!

Old 02-27-2012, 02:36 PM

291 posts, read 607,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
You should take them shooting!

My circle of friends/colleagues is pretty diverse in many respects. While my best friend and I are likely to debate the pros and cons of the different AR variants or the cost/benefit of using steel or bismuth shot in expensive shotgun barrels, it is likely that half of the other people sitting at the table may have never fired a gun before.

Whenever I get a question like "Why do you need an assault rifle?" or "How did you get a license for a double barreled shotgun?" (real question, lol) my new response is to always invite them to come plinking or wing shooting with us some time. While my conversion rate is not 100%, everyone that has taken me up on the offer has had a great time. I even got my vegan sister and her hipster boyfriend to come out. I started off simply with a safety lecture and shooting pop cans with a .22, but within an hour or two they were batting .500 or so with hand thrown clay birds and detonating milk jugs at 75 yards with an AK and iron sights.

About the worst thing you can do is take a defensive attitude and insult their politics. RKBA should not be a liberal/conservative philosophical issue with half on one side and half on the other. Many people would be surprised how gun friendly the majority of Americans really are once the issue is divorced from conservative politics.
I agree 100% People get turned off when OBAMA/Liberals/Dems are blamed for all the anit gun feelings. I believe more people would convert to an pro gun stance if politics were left out. When you focus on the far left or far right in a gun control conversation , you isolate the middle which are more open to different ideas.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apal View Post
I agree 100% People get turned off when OBAMA/Liberals/Dems are blamed for all the anit gun feelings. I believe more people would convert to an pro gun stance if politics were left out. When you focus on the far left or far right in a gun control conversation , you isolate the middle which are more open to different ideas.
I'm right in the middle. I don't follow either side 100%. I like what Republicans general opinion of firearms are. On the same note, there are Democrats that put them to shame. Some metro NYC Wallstreet Republicans think no one needs a butter knife. I say up yours!

Mark Knopfler - Cleaning my gun OFFICIAL VIDEO - YouTube

Old 02-27-2012, 07:03 PM

I love five to one odds against me. Make it thirty to one and you might stand a chance of breaking even!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
If you live in an area with lots of dumb or "hood" kinds of people, I wouldn't say a damned thing- no need to help them. Just let them think you're a badass until they stop being lazy and look it up themselves.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Or better yet, convince 'em it's legal to flash the cops with their guns.....

Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Or better yet, convince 'em it's legal to flash the cops with their guns.....
It is when they are your friends. They aren't scared of you or KNOW you are very safe. They also use you as a encyclopedia to answer their questions too! That's the difference between the guys who hide them in their trunk, and sneak around, versus the guy who has the balls to go shoot right next to them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting