Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:58 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times

Advertisements

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sykes.jpg
Views:	7398
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	92095

My favorite babies. They are real, Fairbairn Sykes Pattern 3.

They are stamped "WILLIAM RODGERS SHEFFIELD ENGLAND".

In a real story, they are the reason my friend, an X-Secret Service agent gave me one of his 6906's. He told me on one visit, he would shoot a man who was holding a knife, faster than he would shoot a man with a gun.

1. He didn't like getting cut.

2. The SS and FBI manuals both show that the trained person with a knife, within 10 feet of a man with the gun, still has an advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 02:34 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Attachment 92095

My favorite babies. They are real, Fairbairn Sykes Pattern 3.

They are stamped "WILLIAM RODGERS SHEFFIELD ENGLAND".

In a real story, they are the reason my friend, an X-Secret Service agent gave me one of his 6906's. He told me on one visit, he would shoot a man who was holding a knife, faster than he would shoot a man with a gun.

1. He didn't like getting cut.

2. The SS and FBI manuals both show that the trained person with a knife, within 10 feet of a man with the gun, still has an advantage.
That is correct, but the actual distance is up for discussion between different Agencies. Some say 7 feet, some say 10 feet, some say 21 feet. It's 10' that is a good average. Anytime you hear some smarta** gun guy laugh at a knife, and why it is that you need it along with YOUR gun...just grin and send the dumba** on his way! Rob showed the world what a Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto can do in the right hands.

Deadliest Warrior Navy SEALs Recon 1 Scene - YouTube

Old 03-07-2012, 03:06 PM

Cold Steel Gunsite II. http://www.gunsite.com/main/

Old 03-07-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
That is correct, but the actual distance is up for discussion between different Agencies. Some say 7 feet, some say 10 feet, some say 21 feet. It's 10' that is a good average. Anytime you hear some smarta** gun guy laugh at a knife, and why it is that you need it along with YOUR gun...just grin and send the dumba** on his way! Rob showed the world what a Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto can do in the right hands.

Deadliest Warrior Navy SEALs Recon 1 Scene - YouTube
That's also why he gave me his 6906, he also said he felt good giving it to me, because he knew if I ever needed to, I would not hesitate to use it.

I love that weapon, it's very accurate, easy to handle, and of course, the price was excellent. Ron has since passed away, but in his memory, every year on the anniversary of his passing, I put 100 rounds through it in his memory. He was good people, and a good friend.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
That's also why he gave me his 6906, he also said he felt good giving it to me, because he knew if I ever needed to, I would not hesitate to use it.

I love that weapon, it's very accurate, easy to handle, and of course, the price was excellent. Ron has since passed away, but in his memory, every year on the anniversary of his passing, I put 100 rounds through it in his memory. He was good people, and a good friend.
That was very nice of him. I'm sure he knew you would take good care of it. He also knew you wouldn't be dumb and sell it off or something. I have several knives and a few guns like that too. The elders who I got them from, either for free or next to nothing, knew I would take even better care of them than they did. I also would never sell something like that. You can't put a price on integrity. It just can't be bought at any price.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
That was very nice of him. I'm sure he knew you would take good care of it. He also knew you wouldn't be dumb and sell it off or something. I have several knives and a few guns like that too. The elders who I got them from, either for free or next to nothing, knew I would take even better care of them than they did. I also would never sell something like that. You can't put a price on integrity. It just can't be bought at any price.
I agree. I could not even consider sell that S&W. That thought is so foreign I was actually shocked to even see that word in the same post as mine.

A gift like that is a treasure beyond value, and I could not dream of dishonoring the man who gave it to me by even considering it's sale. Of course though, it's the people like us who understand that.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:23 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Carbon steel is still THE best steel for working knives of all types.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I think it depends on the application. For a large knife where a lot of force can be be generated (say while chopping) carbon steel has superior toughness. Otherwise stainless steel tends to have better wear resistence which translates to edge holding, and obviously has the advantage of corrosion resistance.

Carbon steel blades tend to be softer and easier to sharpen, but with diamond hones that becomes a moot point.

carbon steel / stainless steel the endless question - Page 2
With respect I will disagree that stainless is the best steel for working knives.

1095 carbon steel will re-sharpen in a flash, keep an edge for a good while, and in time gain a nice patina that stops damaging rust. From the butcher shop to the pocket of millions of hard working folk's that use knives a lot plain ol' 1095 is the best steel there is.

Stainless, on the other hand, is best for the casual user. A bit harder to sharpen, doesn't take an edge as well without power equipment.

For the few knives that I own/use that are stainless they are all AUS-8 stainless since it's, above all other stainless, easy to sharpen and holds a decent edge for a reasonable time.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:44 PM

There is also a third option. Damascus or San Mai III. They are layered steel. The San Mai III is a harder steel sandwiched in between two softer steels. It's very-very-very strong and sharp. Damascus can either be one type of carbon steel that is folded over and over again in a forge, or mulitple carbon steels folded together. Again, very-very-very strong and extremely sharp. Both are on the pricey side, but true knife guys don't care! If you really are looking for something over the top, these are it.

Cold Steel San Mai III® Trail Master® Fixed Blade Knife - YouTube

Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
There is also a third option. Damascus or San Mai III. They are layered steel. The San Mai III is a harder steel sandwiched in between two softer steels. It's very-very-very strong and sharp. Damascus can either be one type of carbon steel that is folded over and over again in a forge, or mulitple carbon steels folded together. Again, very-very-very strong and extremely sharp. Both are on the pricey side, but true knife guys don't care! If you really are looking for something over the top, these are it.
Yes, these steels appeal to a very small segment of the knife buying public since the steels are so specialized.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Yes, these steels appeal to a very small segment of the knife buying public since the steels are so specialized.
They are also very-very expensive. It takes a real knife nut to fork out that much bread on a knife. Three hundred bucks and up! $$$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting