Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:43 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,167,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Because transportation of goods across state borders is Federal Jurisdiction, under the interstate commerce clause. The only time states laws apply is at the origin of and the destination of those goods. For instance, if say Kansas had a state prohibition on alcohol, then they couldn't prevent alcohol being transported from Oklahoma to Nebraska or vice-versa unless there was a federal prohibition on transportation of alcohol.

Now if the destination was Topeka, then Kansas would have a say, but not on transportation through their state. It would be an infringement of Article I, Section 8, Clause 3 of the Constitution, Kansas would be regulating commerce between Nebraska and Oklahoma, which is federal jurisdiction, not state.

The exact same process applies to firearms.
I think I'll still pass on that! That's coming from a State that is a "shall issue" State at age 18 for a license to carry a handgun. No training or qualifications beyond age limit and a clean record necessary. Your reason for wanting it? Because...I WANT IT! There are no other reasons required. Just go down to your local PD at AGE 18 and apply for it. THEY HAVE TO GIVE IT TO YOU IF YOU CHECK OUT CLEAN! Your local PD sends it in and you can choose a four year limited LTCH or opt for a LIFETIME. That lifetime LTCH never expires and is good for life, provided you keep your end of the bargin and keep your nose clean. If you get bored with your handgun, go home and play with your PRE May '86 select fire, Class III UZI with a supressor (IF YOU ARE 21). Cut out those FN PS-90 30 round State limit stops and convert it to 50 rounds legally (AT 18). In short...you can own almost anything you want here, provided you have enough money, go through the proper ATF paperwork and pay the Class III Federal $200 tax stamps, or AOW $5 fees. No AWB whatsoever is in effect. NO ONE CARES about any kind of knife except a switchblade, which is in the works right as we speak to be changed for the first time since 1958. No SBSs (short barrel shotguns) with buttstocks though. That's the only thing you cannot own. You may own a AOW though. You still must be 21 to purchase handguns and 18 to purchase rifles...that's Federal. This FIREARM State still breaks your balls for "transporting" a HANDGUN (not a long gun) ON A REGULAR and casual basis without a license. If it happens HERE, it's not going to fly where it has to stay cablelocked in your home and have a mag limit of ten rounds. Bet on that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 09:28 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,257,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
I think I'll still pass on that! That's coming from a State that is a "shall issue" State at age 18 for a license to carry a handgun. No training or qualifications beyond age limit and a clean record necessary. Your reason for wanting it? Because...I WANT IT! There are no other reasons required. Just go down to your local PD at AGE 18 and apply for it. THEY HAVE TO GIVE IT TO YOU IF YOU CHECK OUT CLEAN! Your local PD sends it in and you can choose a four year limited LTCH or opt for a LIFETIME. That lifetime LTCH never expires and is good for life, provided you keep your end of the bargin and keep your nose clean. If you get bored with your handgun, go home and play with your PRE May '86 select fire, Class III UZI with a supressor (IF YOU ARE 21). Cut out those FN PS-90 30 round State limit stops and convert it to 50 rounds legally (AT 18). In short...you can own almost anything you want here, provided you have enough money, go through the proper ATF paperwork and pay the Class III Federal $200 tax stamps, or AOW $5 fees. No AWB whatsoever is in effect. NO ONE CARES about any kind of knife except a switchblade, which is in the works right as we speak to be changed for the first time since 1958. No SBSs (short barrel shotguns) with buttstocks though. That's the only thing you cannot own. You may own a AOW though. You still must be 21 to purchase handguns and 18 to purchase rifles...that's Federal. This FIREARM State still breaks your balls for "transporting" a HANDGUN (not a long gun) ON A REGULAR and casual basis without a license. If it happens HERE, it's not going to fly where it has to stay cablelocked in your home and have a mag limit of ten rounds. Bet on that fact.
Irrelevant, you've just described the firearms laws of your state (and they're no great shakes either). Which is not relevant to North Carolina (North Carolina don't issue LTCH, they issue CCP).

I live in AK, we also have a Firearms Freedom act, we can make any kind of firearm (including machine guns) according to state law without any restriction, as long as its manufactured primarily from materials sourced in Alaska, is stamped Made in Alaska, and will never be sold outside of the State.

The above being the case, why is it that no one in AK has made a machine gun yet? State Law says it's perfectly legal to manufacture any firearm free from federal restrictions (we even have a law that forces CLEO's to "shall issue" any NFA applications within 30 days). Why hasn't anyone done it (or at least as far as I know)? Because BATFE will be up your a$$ with a microscope about 10 seconds before you drop in that newly machined autosear, and arresting you for constructive possession of an unregistered machine gun in contravention of the Hughes Amendment 1986.

If what you're saying is accurate, then how could that be, if Federal Law doesn't apply to states for transport of firearms through FOPA, then states with laws that allow the manufacture of unrestricted firearms from basic materials, and stamped Made in this state that cannot be sold outside of the state, should not be impacted by federal regulations.

Do you agree?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Irrelevant, you've just described the firearms laws of your state (and they're no great shakes either). Which is not relevant to North Carolina (North Carolina don't issue LTCH, they issue CCP).

I live in AK, we also have a Firearms Freedom act, we can make any kind of firearm (including machine guns) according to state law without any restriction, as long as its manufactured primarily from materials sourced in Alaska, is stamped Made in Alaska, and will never be sold outside of the State.

The above being the case, why is it that no one in AK has made a machine gun yet? State Law says it's perfectly legal to manufacture any firearm free from federal restrictions (we even have a law that forces CLEO's to "shall issue" any NFA applications within 30 days). Why hasn't anyone done it (or at least as far as I know)? Because BATFE will be up your a$$ with a microscope about 10 seconds before you drop in that newly machined autosear, and arresting you for constructive possession of an unregistered machine gun in contravention of the Hughes Amendment 1986.

If what you're saying is accurate, then how could that be, if Federal Law doesn't apply to states for transport of firearms through FOPA, then states with laws that allow the manufacture of unrestricted firearms from basic materials, and stamped Made in this state that cannot be sold outside of the state, should not be impacted by federal regulations.

Do you agree?
Well, you are correct on that one. However, even though you or I couldn't make it, (a new one post May 19, 1986) a manufacturer with all the needed licenses could. It would only be able to be sold to Class III dealers, LE and Government use only. I was simply saying that "bopping" around town where your license is no good (honored/valid) could land you some trouble regardless of how it is unloaded and packed in the trunk. This is only a handgun. Anyone who wants to here can haul a Remy 870 around in their trunk if they want. It's handguns that get people excited. The reason being, I think is...that could be everyones excuse for running all over town with it in their vehicle ALL THE TIME. I heard some of you say a hunting license doesn't matter. The hell it doesn't. It explains what you are doing out with that Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag in the middle of firearm deer season. The same could be said for a hunting/target license and going to the range with it every week. Sure you might not ever get caught, but why push buttons unnecessarily? They may just blow smoke up your a** and send you on your way. Then again, they may not. Get the license and forget it.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Do you agree?
BTW, when you go into the Station to get your Chief or Marshall to sign off on your SBR Class III paperwork here, do you know what he says? "Cool...which one did you get?" "See mine, it's right here!" "Want to take a look?" It's not... "what do you need that for?" "I'm not signing that!" "That's an evil black rifle used only for killing people!" Yada...yada...yada! That's pretty damn good if you ask me!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,397,484 times
Quote:
How on earth are you protected by Federal law when it's the individual States policy and right to set their own laws regarding carrying and license to carry requirements?
Because there is a huge difference between carrying & transporting. You cant carry but since its a nationally protected right that is regulated by the states this law was passed so you can TRANSPORT thru ANY state as long as your destination state allows you to carry.

Quote:
Yeah, switchblades are only ok for your "collection" only too! LOL Any unlawful "posession" of a firearm is forbidden by law. So is the dope in your trunk that's not in your pocket.
Your ignorance really shines thru. As I stated and several others have its only a very few states that forbid posession entirely without a permit & EVEN IN THOSE STATES its legal as long as you are passing thru on your way to a state where its legal. We arent talking about dope. In regards to firearms there is a definate line between posessing/transporting & carrying.

Quote:
We require a hunting/target license for range use of a handgun. Besides that, most guys don't want to stand next to someone who doesn't have one. I'll pass on that one. I want to live another day!
Who's we? You stated you are in a gun friendly state. What state are we talking about? I'll look up the statutes for you if you like. Not a single gun friendly state I'm aware of restricts handguns beyond concealed carry or carry in a vehicle. On most states you can just go buy a handgun with an ID & a NICS check. Never even heard of a "target" license & never heard of a range requireing anything but a carry permit IF ITS A STATE REQUIREMENT. In state that doesnt require a permit for mere possession, which is again, most of them, I just go shoot.

Quote:
Where do I get it? From just about every COP I talk to at gun shows! You never know when you will be suspended on a bogus offense. Again, this is COMMON knowledge. Don't tell me I have been doing this stuff longer than anyone else? Please? LOL That would make me feel OLD!
Doing what? Making stuff up?
I suspect that what you think is common knowledge is not. Especially if you get most of your info from LEO, they are often very ignorant to what the statutes actually say and what you often get is their opinion of the law which may or may not reflect the letter of the law. Personally I'm very involved in the legislative process both here in CT & nationally. None of what I have said is hearsay, from police or anyone else. Its factual information readily available to anyone interested in the reality of our gun laws & restrictions. Gun shows are great places to look at guns, ammo & other cool things. But state websites are a much better place to look into their statutory regulations on firearms.
As a for instance if you asked any cop in CT 5 years ago they would tell you you MUST conceal a handgun to carry it in public. They had been arresting people for decades & getting convictions for BOP & disorderly conduct. Until a few interested pro gun people actually got the courts and police to look at the statutes and it was found that NO PLACE in our general statutes does it mandate concealment. the police just made it up &the courts went along, this went on for so long that todays police "KNEW" it was illegal even when shown it was not & really cannot be since we can hunt with a handgun in this state and a permit is required to carry while hunting. Tough to hunt a deer with a 44 mag tucked in a shoulder holster or IWB holster. So the authorities in CT a couple years ago learned what their laws really were. Its helped in many ways to get the facts out and that stands true across the country. When we KNOW the laws we can give good advice to folks like the OP and put together rational rebuttal to the antigun crowd who simply cannot compete on a level playing field. Our ignorance is their best weapon.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Just because there are more restrictive states doesnt mean most are not less restrictive. You simply cannot extrapolate relevant data about one states gun laws from what yours are, period. Earlier you stated that you needed at least a hunting/target license and nobody would want to be near someone who had neither. My question is what good is it if they just GIVE you a permit, with NO TRAINING anyway? That would mean a permit holder is no safer or better trained than anyone else so why bother? I'm against permit systems myself, its a violation of the Constitution. But I'd definately fight to get a permit system with no training requirement repealed. What are you paying for? What protection is the public getting from such a system? Seems just a way for them to grab some money for doing nothing. Especially today when they run an instant check when you buy one anyway.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,158,359 times
One disturbing thought on CC permits is that it gives the government a convenient list of gun owners.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Well, you are correct on that one. However, even though you or I couldn't make it, (a new one post May 19, 1986) a manufacturer with all the needed licenses could. It would only be able to be sold to Class III dealers, LE and Government use only. I was simply saying that "bopping" around town where your license is no good (honored/valid) could land you some trouble regardless of how it is unloaded and packed in the trunk. This is only a handgun. Anyone who wants to here can haul a Remy 870 around in their trunk if they want. It's handguns that get people excited. The reason being, I think is...that could be everyones excuse for running all over town with it in their vehicle ALL THE TIME. I heard some of you say a hunting license doesn't matter. The hell it doesn't. It explains what you are doing out with that Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag in the middle of firearm deer season. The same could be said for a hunting/target license and going to the range with it every week. Sure you might not ever get caught, but why push buttons unnecessarily? They may just blow smoke up your a** and send you on your way. Then again, they may not. Get the license and forget it.

Again, it simply depends on the state you are in. MOST of them treat an unloaded handgun in the trunk like any other firearm. Its only once its loaded & acessable that it becomes an issue. In most states you could drive around with an unloaded cased handgun in your trunk every day all day, not sure why you would but its pretty harmless & legal in most states. A hunting license does not allow you to transport or carry a gun otherwise forbidden by state statute, if statutes require you to have a permit to not only carry but transport as well you will need that permit to hunt too. If you can transport a 44 Redhawk with a hunting license then you can transport it without the license. A hunting license only means you can kill game. The only hunting/target handgun license I'v ever heard of is in NY. In NY localities can add restrictions to the permit & many jurisdictions limit the permit to "hunting/target shooting" so you can never actually carry unless hunting or on a range, though the permit covers you while transporting the gun to & from such activity.

Can you supply a link to your states statutes?

Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
One disturbing thought on CC permits is that it gives the government a convenient list of gun owners.

Yep. I'm not saying anything in support of them. Just trying to stem the flow of misinformation.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Because there is a huge difference between carrying & transporting. You cant carry but since its a nationally protected right that is regulated by the states this law was passed so you can TRANSPORT thru ANY state as long as your destination state allows you to carry.

Your ignorance really shines thru. As I stated and several others have its only a very few states that forbid posession entirely without a permit & EVEN IN THOSE STATES its legal as long as you are passing thru on your way to a state where its legal. We arent talking about dope. In regards to firearms there is a definate line between posessing/transporting & carrying.

Who's we? You stated you are in a gun friendly state. What state are we talking about? I'll look up the statutes for you if you like. Not a single gun friendly state I'm aware of restricts handguns beyond concealed carry or carry in a vehicle. On most states you can just go buy a handgun with an ID & a NICS check. Never even heard of a "target" license & never heard of a range requireing anything but a carry permit IF ITS A STATE REQUIREMENT. In state that doesnt require a permit for mere possession, which is again, most of them, I just go shoot.

Doing what? Making stuff up?
I suspect that what you think is common knowledge is not. Especially if you get most of your info from LEO, they are often very ignorant to what the statutes actually say and what you often get is their opinion of the law which may or may not reflect the letter of the law. Personally I'm very involved in the legislative process both here in CT & nationally. None of what I have said is hearsay, from police or anyone else. Its factual information readily available to anyone interested in the reality of our gun laws & restrictions. Gun shows are great places to look at guns, ammo & other cool things. But state websites are a much better place to look into their statutory regulations on firearms.
As a for instance if you asked any cop in CT 5 years ago they would tell you you MUST conceal a handgun to carry it in public. They had been arresting people for decades & getting convictions for BOP & disorderly conduct. Until a few interested pro gun people actually got the courts and police to look at the statutes and it was found that NO PLACE in our general statutes does it mandate concealment. the police just made it up &the courts went along, this went on for so long that todays police "KNEW" it was illegal even when shown it was not & really cannot be since we can hunt with a handgun in this state and a permit is required to carry while hunting. Tough to hunt a deer with a 44 mag tucked in a shoulder holster or IWB holster. So the authorities in CT a couple years ago learned what their laws really were. Its helped in many ways to get the facts out and that stands true across the country. When we KNOW the laws we can give good advice to folks like the OP and put together rational rebuttal to the antigun crowd who simply cannot compete on a level playing field. Our ignorance is their best weapon.
I've been doing this for longer than some have been alive on here. Just so you know, my old man used to be an FFL and SOLD guns. That kind of gives me even more knowledge on the subject, don't ya think? In the REAL world Police are accoused of sexual harassment, excessive force, misconduct and other BS that gets them a nice fat suspension and they lose their shield temporarily. That is until it gets taken care of/straightened out. Better not being carrying that handgun without a shield. So what do most "gun guy COPS" do? They hold a valid license to carry plus their badge. I can't believe you never heard of this before. Do you even talk to REAL COPs about guns or go to gun shows? My guess is you don't. If so, you would see many of them buying the crap out of stuff just like anyone else. Sure you might have the odd one who only fires once a year as required by some Agencies. He also nukes his GLOCK in the microwave to dry it off after cleaning it. Those dorks don't represent the ones who ARE gun guys and go to gun shows. The red part is off the mark too. How many "real gun guys" drag along a handgun on a regular basis WITHOUT having something? I don't want to shoot next to them, that's for sure. They're trying to be cute and circumvent the law. We have a choice as to what license you want to get. You can get a hunting/target license or you can get a LTCH. The latter isn't any harder to get than the former. The bottom line is, if you are making a habit of running around without a license of some kind and have a handgun in your trunk, you aren't very well a NORMAL gun guy. You're a target shooter that likes to "sneak" it outta the house every once in awhile. FYI...what's the first thing MOST LEOs say after they ask you if there are any weapons in the vehicle and you tell them YES? In the real world..."let's see it" or "may I see your license to carry". That's how it works if he isn't a pr*ck! If he IS a pr*ck? Watch the hell out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting