Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,170,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Because there is a huge difference between carrying & transporting. You cant carry but since its a nationally protected right that is regulated by the states this law was passed so you can TRANSPORT thru ANY state as long as your destination state allows you to carry.

Your ignorance really shines thru. As I stated and several others have its only a very few states that forbid posession entirely without a permit & EVEN IN THOSE STATES its legal as long as you are passing thru on your way to a state where its legal. We arent talking about dope. In regards to firearms there is a definate line between posessing/transporting & carrying.

Who's we? You stated you are in a gun friendly state. What state are we talking about? I'll look up the statutes for you if you like. Not a single gun friendly state I'm aware of restricts handguns beyond concealed carry or carry in a vehicle. On most states you can just go buy a handgun with an ID & a NICS check. Never even heard of a "target" license & never heard of a range requireing anything but a carry permit IF ITS A STATE REQUIREMENT. In state that doesnt require a permit for mere possession, which is again, most of them, I just go shoot.

Doing what? Making stuff up?
I suspect that what you think is common knowledge is not. Especially if you get most of your info from LEO, they are often very ignorant to what the statutes actually say and what you often get is their opinion of the law which may or may not reflect the letter of the law. Personally I'm very involved in the legislative process both here in CT & nationally. None of what I have said is hearsay, from police or anyone else. Its factual information readily available to anyone interested in the reality of our gun laws & restrictions. Gun shows are great places to look at guns, ammo & other cool things. But state websites are a much better place to look into their statutory regulations on firearms.
As a for instance if you asked any cop in CT 5 years ago they would tell you you MUST conceal a handgun to carry it in public. They had been arresting people for decades & getting convictions for BOP & disorderly conduct. Until a few interested pro gun people actually got the courts and police to look at the statutes and it was found that NO PLACE in our general statutes does it mandate concealment. the police just made it up &the courts went along, this went on for so long that todays police "KNEW" it was illegal even when shown it was not & really cannot be since we can hunt with a handgun in this state and a permit is required to carry while hunting. Tough to hunt a deer with a 44 mag tucked in a shoulder holster or IWB holster. So the authorities in CT a couple years ago learned what their laws really were. Its helped in many ways to get the facts out and that stands true across the country. When we KNOW the laws we can give good advice to folks like the OP and put together rational rebuttal to the antigun crowd who simply cannot compete on a level playing field. Our ignorance is their best weapon.
Well, so you know that a felon cannot own or be in posession of a firearm or even AMMO or reloading supplies even in their home then. "Posession" is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Wow I'm totally confused now. Since I only want the anti car jack device for when I travel and not interested in carrying maybe I'll just buy a German Shepard for a riding companion and let him sleep in the car.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Wow I'm totally confused now. Since I only want the anti car jack device for when I travel and not interested in carrying maybe I'll just buy a German Shepard for a riding companion and let him sleep in the car.
Don't be confused. Out in the real world, you don't tell Police "how it is". Remember that the next time someone on the internet blows smoke up your ass. I never said it was illegal to "transport" a handgun unloaded in your truck in States that allow it. What I did say is, having a license to carry turns a hour debate into a thirty second ordeal.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:36 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I've traveled alone for years without my weapon and feel just as safe as I do driving down my local roads. What good is a weapon that is locked in the trunk anyway? Also, if you have a loaded magazine within reach that can cause way more trouble than it is worth. Obviously it is a personal choice but I don't feel any more or less secure with or without my weapon.

Feelings have little to do with the realities of personal security. It is shortsighted to think the firearm will remain in the trunk. The OP may take the firearm into his hotel room and will have a way to defend himself should someone break into his room while he is occupying it.

Just because I've never had to use my weapon in self defense since I've had my CCW doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow. The CCW permit and carrying a firearm are an insurance policy against the unknown. Adding to the unknown, such as traveling, one should indeed carry that insurance policy wherever legal, even if that means transporting unloaded and in the trunk.

A firearm should never be the only tool in the self defense toolbox.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Feelings have little to do with the realities of personal security. It is shortsighted to think the firearm will remain in the trunk. The OP may take the firearm into his hotel room and will have a way to defend himself should someone break into his room while he is occupying it.

Just because I've never had to use my weapon in self defense since I've had my CCW doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow. The CCW permit and carrying a firearm are an insurance policy against the unknown. Adding to the unknown, such as traveling, one should indeed carry that insurance policy wherever legal, even if that means transporting unloaded and in the trunk.

A firearm should never be the only tool in the self defense toolbox.
So you can take your weapon out of your locked trunk and occupy private property with it without a license? Ewwww uh-oh!! I don't believe I would do that. That means you would also have to load it for it to be of any use. With that said...only a royal idiot would leave his handgun locked in a vehicle overnight at a motel. You better say three HAIL MARRY's when you wake up if it's still there. You were very lucky.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,270,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
So you can take your weapon out of your locked trunk and occupy private property with it without a license? Ewwww uh-oh!! I don't believe I would do that. That means you would also have to load it for it to be of any use. With that said...only a royal idiot would leave his handgun locked in a vehicle overnight at a motel. You better say three HAIL MARRY's when you wake up if it's still there. You were very lucky.
Given the quality of the postings you've previously given on this subject, if you listen for a moment, you might just learn something.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Given the quality of the postings you've previously given on this subject, if you listen for a moment, you might just learn something.
Hey, it doesn't bother me. I'm just telling all of you, I wouldn't if it were me. I also would never leave a firearm overnight in a vehicle. You're scr*wed either way. I sweat bullets just leaving it in the vehicle at the mall for an hour locked up. It's August and 100 degrees plus outside. You'll stick out like a sore thumb wearing extra clothing to cover it up. You're the only one in the whole mall who is dressed like that. A Beretta Tomcat or Ruger LCP is what I'm packing then. How many of you guys have actually been stopped out there while carrying? Hell, they know me and send me on my way. Once in awhile, I get a rookie or some reserve who doesn't know me. He wants to see everything. I'm hitting the gas in less than three minutes and am on my way again. Sucks to be all of you.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Hey, it doesn't bother me. I'm just telling all of you, I wouldn't if it were me. I also would never leave a firearm overnight in a vehicle. You're scr*wed either way. I sweat bullets just leaving it in the vehicle at the mall for an hour locked up. It's August and 100 degrees plus outside. You'll stick out like a sore thumb wearing extra clothing to cover it up. You're the only one in the whole mall who is dressed like that. A Beretta Tomcat or Ruger LCP is what I'm packing then. How many of you guys have actually been stopped out there while carrying? Hell, they know me and send me on my way. Once in awhile, I get a rookie or some reserve who doesn't know me. He wants to see everything. I'm hitting the gas in less than three minutes and am on my way again. Sucks to be all of you.
No that's what you're saying now, previously you've given us a good account of your state laws (which are Indiana I believe), and ignored Federal Law entirely. All the while saying we're wrong, and confusing the subject. I don't care if you're 198 years old and your father used to be the Director of BATFE, if the information you're giving is bogus, it's bogus.

The OP provided an incredibly clear and precise question (which is a rarity).
Quote:
Question is I will have a CC permit from NC and I want to have my gun in the car when I travel. I plan on traveling through states that do not recognize CC permits from other states. If I put the gun in the trunk unloaded when driving in those states and present my CC ID to any law enforcement officer when questioned am I in violation of that states gun laws?
The answer was provided in post 6, although post 2 had most of the information required. Unless the police have probable cause they won't even know that there's a firearm in the car, if they do search then you're covered under FOPA and I'd recommend informing them before they search (I wouldn't recommend demanding a warrant or even asking for what the probably cause was), hell I even pointed out that New Jersey State Police references the law in the link I provided from them about transporting firearms.

This isn't an opinion thread, it was a question regarding legality, if you wouldn't do it, that's all fine and dandy. Given the information provided that's referencing law, then the OP can make up his own mind. He may choose to not travel with it, or he may consider that given the laws he has enough legal standing to not have to worry about prosecution, but that's up to him. Providing your OPINION doesn't assist him in making up his mind. I wouldn't eat Brussels Sprouts, it isn't relevant to the question, and it doesn't make them poisonous or illegal either.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
No that's what you're saying now, previously you've given us a good account of your state laws (which are Indiana I believe), and ignored Federal Law entirely. All the while saying we're wrong, and confusing the subject. I don't care if you're 198 years old and your father used to be the Director of BATFE, if the information you're giving is bogus, it's bogus.

The OP provided an incredibly clear and precise question (which is a rarity).

The answer was provided in post 6, although post 2 had most of the information required. Unless the police have probable cause they won't even know that there's a firearm in the car, if they do search then you're covered under FOPA and I'd recommend informing them before they search (I wouldn't recommend demanding a warrant or even asking for what the probably cause was), hell I even pointed out that New Jersey State Police references the law in the link I provided from them about transporting firearms.

This isn't an opinion thread, it was a question regarding legality, if you wouldn't do it, that's all fine and dandy. Given the information provided that's referencing law, then the OP can make up his own mind. He may choose to not travel with it, or he may consider that given the laws he has enough legal standing to not have to worry about prosecution, but that's up to him. Providing your OPINION doesn't assist him in making up his mind. I wouldn't eat Brussels Sprouts, it isn't relevant to the question, and it doesn't make them poisonous or illegal either.
Not bogus! REAL world info! I only play on the "puter" in between sets!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Not bogus! REAL world info! I only play on the "puter" in between sets!
Sheesh!...

Whatever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting