Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 09:50 AM

27,255 posts, read 27,319,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
A buddy of mine did that one time with his 7mm magnum rifle. Shot a watermelon and there was a spectacular explosion! He also shot one of those 5 gallon water jugs with the same rifle, and again, it was spectacular.

Hmmm.. I'm not sure if there's a possibility of somebody being in that preserve while you're shooting, a stray .38 cal bullet at 500 yards can hurt somebody. It's best to have a dirt berm behind the target you're shooting at.

Ive seen what one bullet can do to a persons head (the narrator warned several times ahead of time how graphic the documentary was going to be) so what it would do to a watermelon pretty much describes otherwise. They interviewed a survivor once, miraculously, and this poor lady was facially deformed for the rest of her life.
Ive also known someone who was shot twice in the back he was a victim of robbery (the 3rd bullet missed) and it took months of recovery and hours of intense surgery to remove the bullet.
Though theres nothing wrong with guns as a hobby for responsible people, many just dont realize you dont get a 2nd chance, there is no room for error. Though I dont understand terms and 'the language' you use, I do know the difference between a shotgun shell and a 22 bullet, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 11:04 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,918,852 times
What was the story behind it? If I may ask. Don't want to bring up old memories but am curious as too what happened.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:33 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,154,217 times
debating on whether getting a cheap SK or a slightly more expensive AK. I saw a carbine (paratrooper model) of the SK that would suit my needs. Think it is worth the extra expense being it won't be a weapon used but very seldom?

Old 10-12-2007, 02:34 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,867,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
debating on whether getting a cheap SK or a slightly more expensive AK. I saw a carbine (paratrooper model) of the SK that would suit my needs. Think it is worth the extra expense being it won't be a weapon used but very seldom?
I'm happy with my SKS. Not the most accurate gun but it'll do. The AK is supposed to be more acurate from what I've heard but they are quite a bit more $$ around here.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:43 PM

54,477 posts, read 33,785,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
I did some target on a watermelon that has been ...
By the way, we didn't let that watermelon go to waste, we ate whatever was left of it! I guess it was a quick way to slice it up!

Of course my friend was using a copper jacketed bullet, with a led tip, but there was no led in the remaining parts of the melon.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Ive seen what one bullet can do to a persons head (the narrator warned several times ahead of time how graphic the documentary was going to be) so what it would do to a watermelon pretty much describes otherwise. They interviewed a survivor once, miraculously, and this poor lady was facially deformed for the rest of her life.
Ive also known someone who was shot twice in the back he was a victim of robbery (the 3rd bullet missed) and it took months of recovery and hours of intense surgery to remove the bullet.
Though theres nothing wrong with guns as a hobby for responsible people, many just dont realize you dont get a 2nd chance, there is no room for error. Though I dont understand terms and 'the language' you use, I do know the difference between a shotgun shell and a 22 bullet, lol!
Power Surge, tragic shootings like the ones you described are not very common, considering the fact that there are over 80 million people in the United States that own guns. When tragedies like this do occur, some people tend to direct their anger at all gun owners, instead of the actual person(s) who committed the crime. It's very unfortunate that the person you know suffered the injuries as a result of the act of a criminal, who most likely had a gun that was either stolen and/or was bought on the black market. As far as I'm concerned, I have nothing against putting such individuals, who willfully commit such acts, behind bars for the rest of their lives.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 10-12-2007 at 03:27 PM..

Old 10-12-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I'm happy with my SKS. Not the most accurate gun but it'll do. The AK is supposed to be more acurate from what I've heard but they are quite a bit more $$ around here.
Well I figured since the 7.62x39mm ammo is so stinking cheap when purchased in bulk, accuracy isn't really that important. Home/property protection needs more than anything. I have looked at a couple of after market stocks and accessories and they seem pretty cheap as well.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well I figured since the 7.62x39mm ammo is so stinking cheap when purchased in bulk, accuracy isn't really that important. Home/property protection needs more than anything. I have looked at a couple of after market stocks and accessories and they seem pretty cheap as well.
Just make sure the ammo doesn't have the armor-piercing type because they do wear out barrels much faster than the ordinary copper coated type.

Also make sure it doesn't have the corrosive primers, if they do then make sure you thoroughly clean every inch of that barrel and the gas piston mechanism with a good oil-based cleaner like Break-Free.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Just make sure the ammo doesn't have the armor-piercing type because they do wear out barrels much faster than the ordinary copper coated type.

Also make sure it doesn't have the corrosive primers, if they do then make sure you thoroughly clean every inch of that barrel and the gas piston mechanism with a good oil-based cleaner like Break-Free.
I saw some Wolf 7.62x39mm for 190 bucks for 1000 rounds which I believe was FMJ and came in 2 500 rd dry boxes.

I appreciate the tips, as I know little about the mechanics of this particular weapon. Most of what I own is bolt action hunting rifles and a semi auto 10/22 varmit.

thanks

Old 10-12-2007, 09:34 PM

49 posts, read 91,104 times
My roomate has a bunch of guns, I don't know anything about them.

He has a SKS, Russian AK-47, AR15, .22 Revolver with Scope (fun gun to kill bunnies with) and a bunch of other ones, those are just the ones I have shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting