Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:33 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,513 times

Advertisements

Please, if I become annoying or pesty, let me know.
I have a strange way of killing threads and haven't figured out the reason yet !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 08:49 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Plinking is a term for informal shooting sessions.

Ammo,hollowpoints are the best for defense,because they mushroom-expand therefor more likely stopping a attacker.

For practice ammo,I hate to say this about local gunstores because I try to support them when I can but gunstores are notorious for marking up ammo.For practice ammo I would go to Walmart,Gander Mountain,Cabella's or Bass Pro Shops and get budget ammo either by Winchester USA or Remington UMC brand,they typically sell common ammo in "value packs".

Congrats on your purchase,for cleaning get a guncloth and either break-free or some gun lubricating oil.Wipe it down sometimes otherwise it will start to rust.For internal cleaning,I'm rather lazy that way when it comes to revolvers but after putting a certain amount of rounds thru it use a cleaning kit.Attach the cleaning brush to the rod,dip it in solvent,run it thru the barrel(carefullyto not rub the metal to metal).Then attach cleaning patches to the rod and keep doing so till they don't show fouling.I usually run another patch with a slight coat of oil thru the barrel and cylinders after that.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:52 AM

Thank you Lionking !
Must spread the love...... as usual !

Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
Thank you Lionking !
Must spread the love...... as usual !
oh and birdshot.This is loads made up of numerous BB pellets typically used to hunt birds or small animals.They do make pellet loads in pistol caliber but I wouldn't recommend using that for defense,the pellets are small and the power from a pistol cartridge is not enough power.It might anger a attacker rather than stop him.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
oh and birdshot.This is loads made up of numerous BB pellets typically used to hunt birds or small animals.They do make pellet loads in pistol caliber but I wouldn't recommend using that for defense,the pellets are small and the power from a pistol cartridge is not enough power.It might anger a attacker rather than stop him.
Definately not into p*ssing anyone off !

Old 09-13-2007, 01:43 PM

592 posts, read 2,809,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
I have been studying the gun laws in both states. They vary a bit when it comes to "fearing your life". I will be speaking to law enforcement in the state I am confused about.
+P rounds... can you please explain. When I go buy ammo is this what I ask for ???? Will the +P rounds trave lfurhter or just have more of an impact???

I so appreciate all that has been discussed!
Unfortunately some states have passed what is commonly termed "duty to retreat", simply put, it means you have a legal responsibility to retreat before using force. Frankly, I think its insane that some moronic legislator is of the belief that I should have to attempt to abandon my property before I can defend it, myself, or my family. Just as important as local law you'll have to comply with, it is significant to realize that if you are ever in a shooting situation, even if you are held not responsible criminally, you, with most certainty, will be civilly sued. There are many issues surrounding self defense and just make sure you get yourself proper training and experience if you decide to use a weapon to defend yourself. Plus p's have a little greater charge in them and will both travel further and have more impact. No need to buy them just for practice or punching paper. Simple .38 wadcutters will do a fine job punching holes in paper while you acclimate to your new hobby!

Old 09-14-2007, 05:37 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Well, do nail guns and staple guns for work count?

Old 09-14-2007, 07:11 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Well, do nail guns and staple guns for work count?
LOL.. Well at least nail guns do go "bang"

Actually nail guns do use a small charge of gun powder to propel the nail, so I guess that counts!

I tried to give you points for that one Power Surge, but I still can't, you might want to check your settings.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
Unfortunately some states have passed what is commonly termed "duty to retreat", simply put, it means you have a legal responsibility to retreat before using force. Frankly, I think its insane that some moronic legislator is of the belief that I should have to attempt to abandon my property before I can defend it, myself, or my family. Just as important as local law you'll have to comply with, it is significant to realize that if you are ever in a shooting situation, even if you are held not responsible criminally, you, with most certainty, will be civilly sued. There are many issues surrounding self defense and just make sure you get yourself proper training and experience if you decide to use a weapon to defend yourself. Plus p's have a little greater charge in them and will both travel further and have more impact. No need to buy them just for practice or punching paper. Simple .38 wadcutters will do a fine job punching holes in paper while you acclimate to your new hobby!

If what I read about the gun laws and I understood them correctly... both states have "no duty to retreat" and will not hold you liable for civil suit.
It goes deeper but thats all I can remember at this point in the morning.
If I read correctly, it includes protecting possesions ??. Although I would not aim at somebody for stealing something. Things are just things !

I really, really do not see myself HAVING to use it for protection. Nothing/noone has given me reason to believe that at this point, just want to be prepared.

Well I am off to pick up my new Taraus .38 today. Had a 3 day waiting period.

One question I have.. if anyone can give a suggestion, If/when I set up a target, at what distance fron the target (how far back) should I be ???

Again, thanks to all !!! You have been very helpful !

Old 09-14-2007, 12:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Default where to start?

I have had a fleeting interest in guns for a while.
The only gun I have ever handled is a .22 revolver - at a makeshift (but legal) shooting range.
I have promised myself that, if I ever get a gun, I will be sure to get educated about proper handling, safety, etc.
Do you have any recommendations for a first gun?
Also, what is the best way to become proficient with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting