Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times

Advertisements

Hey Mag Mike! (BTW, That's some rep point accumulation you have! amazing.).

I'd also suggest folks taking a gander at sites like gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com for good used equipment. A single stage press from RCBS is mighty hard to wear out, and even some used dillions are to be found. Incidentally, you might even see my Dillon RL550B at a swap meet, it having been stolen from my place a few years ago! Damn!

Used dies I'd be more wary of, unless you know what to look for, but often folks are getting rid of good stuff in an estate sale, and good used three-piece rifle dies would sell, used, for about $15 - $25.

BTW, I've found, after 40 years of reloading, that REdding stuff is very VERY good quality, and they are also very innovative with some of their match grade bullet seaters, etc. Can't beat them. Ditto for wilson, though that's aimed more at the benchrest crowd to be sure.

Back in '70, I reloaded a 7X57 round exclusively, quickly finding a load in the Speer manual that was hotter than the store-bought stuff (that was all underloaded back then), but still very safe for my modern Brno Mauser. I got about 2800 fps from a 139 gr 7mm, which beat the factory loads by at least 200 fps, and it also grouped into a nice sub-1" group all day long. The factory stuff only managed about 1.75". Quite a nice accomplishment. And each round cost me about 45¢.

Reloading is still worth getting into, if you shoot more than a few boxes a year. In fact, I'd say the break-even point is probably about 5 or 6 boxes a year, calculated over, say, ten or twenty years.

As a gunsmith with an audience, I do tell folks to get at least a turret press, versus a single station. The Redding version is very useful. A Dillon is less useful in experimenting with new loads than the turret, and a turret still allows much faster loading than having to change everything all the time. In fact, I usually have two separate dies sets on my Redding at any point in time. Having said that, I also have a Dillon for established loads for my 45ACP, .223 and 9mm; high volume stuff.

Well, just some observations. Enjoy, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 03:25 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Hey Mag Mike! (BTW, That's some rep point accumulation you have! amazing.).

I'd also suggest folks taking a gander at sites like gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com for good used equipment. A single stage press from RCBS is mighty hard to wear out, and even some used dillions are to be found. Incidentally, you might even see my Dillon RL550B at a swap meet, it having been stolen from my place a few years ago! Damn!
Thanks for the compliment on the rep points Rifleman. Also, sorry to hear about your Dillon RL-550B getting stolen. I hope they find the person who stole it and lock him up, and I hope you get it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman
Used dies I'd be more wary of, unless you know what to look for, but often folks are getting rid of good stuff in an estate sale, and good used three-piece rifle dies would sell, used, for about $15 - $25.
Not too long ago, you could buy brand new dies for about $25, now they're about $40.

Quote:
BTW, I've found, after 40 years of reloading, that REdding stuff is very VERY good quality, and they are also very innovative with some of their match grade bullet seaters, etc. Can't beat them. Ditto for wilson, though that's aimed more at the benchrest crowd to be sure.
I don't see too many Redding components out there, very few if any, the same for Wilson also.

Quote:
Back in '70, I reloaded a 7X57 round exclusively, quickly finding a load in the Speer manual that was hotter than the store-bought stuff (that was all underloaded back then), but still very safe for my modern Brno Mauser. I got about 2800 fps from a 139 gr 7mm, which beat the factory loads by at least 200 fps, and it also grouped into a nice sub-1" group all day long. The factory stuff only managed about 1.75". Quite a nice accomplishment. And each round cost me about 45¢.
The 7mm Mauser, or 7x57 is one of my favorite calibers, that was the caliber I started reloading with in 1986, but unfortunately, the rifle I was using back then, which was an Argentinian Mauser model 96, had a worn out barrel, and it wasn't worth putting a new barrel on it. I tried to find a new rifle with the same caliber, but I wasn't able to, I know Ruger made one back then, but they were tough to find, so I went to a caliber that has the same 7x57 case, necked down to 6mm, the 6mm Remington. I bought a used Remington 722 rifle, and replaced it in 1993 with a new Remington 700 BDL in the same caliber. I still have it to this day, and I love it!

Quote:
Reloading is still worth getting into, if you shoot more than a few boxes a year. In fact, I'd say the break-even point is probably about 5 or 6 boxes a year, calculated over, say, ten or twenty years.
My reloading gear paid for itself long time ago.

Quote:
As a gunsmith with an audience, I do tell folks to get at least a turret press, versus a single station. The Redding version is very useful. A Dillon is less useful in experimenting with new loads than the turret, and a turret still allows much faster loading than having to change everything all the time. In fact, I usually have two separate dies sets on my Redding at any point in time. Having said that, I also have a Dillon for established loads for my 45ACP, .223 and 9mm; high volume stuff.
A Dillon press, like the RL-550B is useful when you load new cases, but for reloading, I do care about every detail, including cleaning the primer pockets, and tumbling the brass cases.. That's why a single station press is ideal. But I am looking at getting a new press, like a Dillon, and keeping my single station RCBS Rockchucker.

Quote:
Well, just some observations. Enjoy, folks!
Thanks.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:35 PM

850 posts, read 1,546,235 times
I love my Remington 270 and my (3) 22's.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:51 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
all this talk about reloading is getting me more interested in it, especially the ability to customize and make my home defense ammunition the best possible. Right now I have some Remington HP's that will probably do the trick, but I know there are better out there and I could make even better ones. How would one test the velocity of the round? I've seen some amazing speeds on some of the rifle ammunition. I was reading a catalog today and saw some .50 rifle loads that pretty much had the equivalent of my wife's car per square foot. I'm guessing that would really ruin pretty much anybody's day.
I would also recommend going to a range to find spent casings. I know the one I go to has a LOT of them and they don't mind if you pick them up for them.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
all this talk about reloading is getting me more interested in it, especially the ability to customize and make my home defense ammunition the best possible. Right now I have some Remington HP's that will probably do the trick, but I know there are better out there and I could make even better ones. How would one test the velocity of the round? I've seen some amazing speeds on some of the rifle ammunition. I was reading a catalog today and saw some .50 rifle loads that pretty much had the equivalent of my wife's car per square foot. I'm guessing that would really ruin pretty much anybody's day.
I would also recommend going to a range to find spent casings. I know the one I go to has a LOT of them and they don't mind if you pick them up for them.
rd, here are a few things to keep in mind.

First, for home defense, most people I've talked to, including some that teach home defense classes, recommend using only factory ammunition for that purpose, as well as other self defense purposes, such as concealed carry. The reason for the recommendation is that it protects you from any liability that may arise out of the use of reloaded ammunition. Many defensive shootings also involve plenty of litigation before things get sorted out. Home-brew ammunition is just one more thing for the lawyers to get rich on. Also keep in mind that it is advisable to not only use factory ammo for defense, but also to practice with the same ammo in order to ensure your ability to consistently hit where you aim. With the excellent assortment of defense ammo available, you should be able to find something that will work for you.

To determine the velocity of your reloaded ammunition, you would want to use a chronograph. It uses two sensors to clock the bullet, by determining the amount of time the bullet takes to pass between them, and then it calculates the velocity based on the result. Starter chronographs can be found for about $100, if I remember correctly.

Finally, a word of caution regarding range brass. Much of it is once-fired, and suitable for reloading, but since the history is unknown, it is essential that every case be carefully examined before use, and any cases that are questionable must be discarded. Although rare, I have heard a few horror stories regarding case separation and the disastrous results that follow, because range brass of unknown quality was used.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
On measuring the velocity of projectiles/bullets - An instrument called Velocity Chronograph can be used. You aim at an area of the instrument that has 2 parts on there that look like antennas, which measure the time it takes the bullet to travel from the 2 points on those antennas. Here's what it looks like, all you have to do is aim the pistol or rifle at the open area surrounded by the antennas, and you'll get a read-out of bullet velocity.

http://i.ebayimg.com/22/!BPSKyi!!2k~$(KGrHgoOKjsEjlLmVqugBJy5tQperw~~_35.J PG (broken link)

Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
thank you both for all that information

greatest thing about the Internet is it cuts down on the amount of stupid mistakes caused by rushing out to try something, assuming you seek out additional information of course. C-D has a LOT of it and most of it is actually useful. I've read a lot of other forums where people pass out some seriously bogus information based mostly on their opinions.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:02 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
I was thinking this was kinda the all purpose firearms thread. I was wondering if it was possible to find a slug load for my Ithaca 20 guage shotgun that was capable of taking a whitetail deer. I figure I can maximize my opportunity while I'm out bird hunting if I had a load to do the job .

Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I was thinking this was kinda the all purpose firearms thread. I was wondering if it was possible to find a slug load for my Ithaca 20 guage shotgun that was capable of taking a whitetail deer. I figure I can maximize my opportunity while I'm out bird hunting if I had a load to do the job .
Slugs are available for all shotgun loads. I have a couple cartons of 410, 20 and 12. Don't forget 00 or 000 loads, several large balls in the case.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:03 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
I have a concern about... quality over quantity & it also involves liability. Would you say 14 firearms can be a bit excessive? If you agree with me, I need to find something to say that won't sound like... a woman said it. I guess then I need to find a way to lead one of Mr. Boyfriend's friends into agreeing with me or trick someone into saying what I'm thinking.

Anytime I say something like... why not sell the ones you like the least then trick out your favorites... Somehow it's taken as: you don't think I should have any guns. Anything I say seems to be taken as a threat although it's never been the case.

He won't use my rifle safe (which only has my taurus in it with a bunch of papers) cuz he thinks it's just a tin can (not top of the line but it isn't bottom of the line either) & his rack (lockable) isn't big enough for all the rifles. The safety/liability part bothers me.

Any ideas or am I just being too concerned about his stuff? BTW: I'm totally pro 2nd amendment & well versed in NRA.

Kate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting