Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 10:26 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times

Advertisements

I have a pistol and a speed loader. I practice with it. Takes me seconds to load it.
I sleep light and so does my dog. You can argue with my statistics but I don't feel unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 07:12 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I was thinking this was kinda the all purpose firearms thread. I was wondering if it was possible to find a slug load for my Ithaca 20 guage shotgun that was capable of taking a whitetail deer. I figure I can maximize my opportunity while I'm out bird hunting if I had a load to do the job .
if its deer you want and you see a bird and want it to then you need 000 buck.is your 20g a 2 3/4 or 3'' ?i have a 20 over so i can have one barrel with bird and one with buck.i dont think i have bought a box of slugs in ten years.
i haven't shot a deer with a shot gun in maybe 15 years most of the deer i have shot have been with my 300 win mag.a cpl with a 308.
all the kids use 243 because that's what i bought them when they come of age.its a good little round.my oldest just up graded to a weatherby 270.
he wants to be able to shoot a deer at the other end of our field.
T if ya need help just dm me i will do what i can.
how did you like the deer seat pretty nice ha.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:22 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
I'll be cool with him when it's all written down, accounted for & LOCKED... Minus the one loaded & in reach. 14 or more is fine when they're properly cared for. IMO. He isn't a hunter.

I wish he'd only have as many as can fit in the safe...It's fire proof but probably only weighs about 50 lbs max. Not sure. I have paperwork on it somewhere. Got it at Turner's Outdoorsman when I had 2 rifles and a few handguns.
After several purchases, I now own two safes from Pentagon Steel Safe Co. in southern California. They're no doubt on the web. The toughest one weighs about 1800 lb, is 70" tall, 50" wide and about 30" deep. It's essentially immovable; it took over 5 hours to get it into it's current home location. The front door is 1/4" thick hardened steel, with an electronic lock.

In many states, unsafe, unsecured storage of firearms is a criminal offense, liable to at least a misdemeanor conviction, and if the gun is used in the commission of a felony, and it had simply been left, say, in the back of a closet, you're in a heap of trouble, sparky!

Additionally, most home insurance property policies have a built-in limit (usually $1000 total) on the following categories: guns, jewellery and cameras / iPods, etc. Every burglary victim suddenly had a Rolex or Nikon they lost, but can't find the receipts!

My big safe cost, I think, about $1800. Well worth it, because it also houses all sorts of valuables. It's fire-proof, etc. as well, and we don't have to worry when we go on vacation, etc. The added complication of a VERY loud built-in alarm system if they even try to tamper with it should oughta keep the perps at bay, yes?

Here it is:

Gun Safes by Pentagon Gun Safe Company

BTw, a lot of the well-known brand-named safes (Browning, Winsdhester, etc.) are now built in China. Good old Asian labor.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:42 AM

773 posts, read 1,939,203 times
I love to do the Cowboy shoots, also spend time at a few of the local ranges plugging rounds. I love loading my own ammo. Haven't try'd shot yet, but have been thinking about it, since I have started (this year) shooting skeet. I take my 300 wby out once a month, just to keep familiar with it for the fall hunt and to try different bullets. Have a 22 revolver I shoot/practice with for grouse. When I'm shooting or reloading, it is the only thing on my mind and helps me relax.......not think about the BS that goes on in my life.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:41 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I'm jealous of someone with 14 guns.. I am only up to three so far and am trying to figure out how to get #4 (Yugo AK-47). After that I am going to have a hard time coming up with an excuse for needing another one, though.
As far as where you keep it and what condition it is in, that is different for different people and different locations. A lot of (communist) states have specific rules on storage, especially if kids are around. I keep all of mine loaded and in one of those black plastic cases. One is upstairs where we sleep, one is in a bedroom downstairs, and the third is in the kitchen. My wife and I both know they are loaded and we simply have to remove them from the unlocked case and pull the trigger. We have no kids at home either, so that is not an issue.
BTW, you will never change your partner. I've been married for over 22 years and some of the things I did not like before we were married are still some of the things I do not like today. You either have to learn to live with it or move along. You will never find perfection, though, so don't bother looking.
BTW2, we also have 5 dogs and a monitored security system. Not out of paranoia, though. We love dogs and we also love our stuff staying in the house when we're not there.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:48 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,329 times
Default recommendation for chick gun

Situations change and in turn it is necessary to prepare for certain exigencies. I'm petite (5' 4", 120) but strong and looking for something that will be good to keep at home for protection. It's just going to be me and a couple of dogs, but I'll soon be moving to an unfamiliar area and will want something strictly for protection.

I've tried just about everything and although I'm not sure I need the heft of a 9 mm I'm certain I don't want a .22 pea-shooter either. I want something that would stop a guy that weighs twice as much as me.

I work around cops all day long and they all tell me the same thing... a little snub nose, 22 or 25 caliber is fine for me, I can even get the grip in pink! All kidding aside, as I am not planning to carry and this will be the first I've ever owned (beside a pellet gun)... any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:07 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,621 times
yellfire - you could try a .380, but most people don't really consider it a man stopper. I'm about your size and also pretty strong for a female. I have no trouble handling my husband's XD .45 (4" barrel). If you can rent one at a range and give it a try, I bet you could handle it ok.

Maybe ask those cops to stop babying you and lend you a real gun to try.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:13 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
We did a thread on chick guns. Probably the first thing to consider is how big your hands are, if you have little petite hands you will be limited on grip size, something like a 1911 .45 ACP probably won't work well with small hands.

See if you can talk some of your cop friends into taking you to the range, shoot a few different pistols/revolvers. Take the CCW class.

Books have been written on this. I can just hit a few high points. One is that a short-barreled pistol/revolver is handier, but harder to shoot accurately.

Strictly as a home defense gun, I would suggest a Youth Model Remington 870 20 gauge, with a short barrel, maybe a slug barrel.

Most guys who do things that can get them shot at are very familiar with the sound of a pump shotgun being "racked" (chambering a round) - all but the most severely brain damaged ones will vamoose when they hear that sound.

Back to handguns, the first fork in the road is revolver or auto, if you are not willing to practice a good bit, probably the revolver is better for you. And a good, high-quality revolver isn't a purchase you will regret even if you decide to "graduate" to the auto.

Glocks have almost taken over the entire LE world as a duty gun, they are not pretty, but they do work and work every time.

I just don't much like the 9mm for a defense (or duty for that matter) round - the .40 S&W is IMHO a better choice.

Get a .22 rimfire as well for economical practice. If you go revolver, S&W has a neat little 9-shot DA revolver that you can get in a "matching" (same barrel length, etc.) configuration to your "main" revolver.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:50 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
I'm not sure I need the heft of a 9 mm ... I want something that would stop a guy that weighs twice as much as me.
What you want is at minimum a 9mm, but I'd recommend going with at least a .40 - the 9mm doesn't have nearly the stopping power. The preferred caliber for most CCW holders is .45. I carry a .40 most of the time, but in the summer, I sometimes carry a .32 - it's tough to conceal even a baby Glock during the Las Vegas summers...

Old 11-04-2009, 02:10 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Why yes, I am enthusiastic about discharging firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting