U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:26 AM

666 posts, read 1,061,340 times

Advertisements

So, after some years playing with my S&W long barreled 629 Classic, I find myself giving into the urge for a shorter barreled larger caliber hand cannon.

Thinking hard on the .454 Casull, what are some of you folk's recommendations on a good quality gun chambered for that beast?

I have conceal carry handguns, long guns I really enjoy, but what I am after here is a large caliber handgun I can hip carry if I choose and abuse my wrists at the range occasionally.

Honestly it won't be hip carried unless I go hiking in the wilds of Alaska (fat chance), but I am using that criteria as an excuse to add to the large bore handgun collection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 03:06 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,329,136 times
I would go with the Ruger Redhawk cambered in it.
Why not go big with a revolver in 45/70?

File:BFR 45-70 1.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I would go with the Ruger Redhawk cambered in it.
Thanks, I kind of like Ruger. Have owned a number of Blackhawks over the years, as well several autos. My brother just purchased a long barreled Redhawk in .44 mag that I have yet to handle, although I passed on buying one myself a few years ago.

Quote:
Why not go big with a revolver in 45/70?
No real reason, as that would be a ton of fun. But the shorter barreled big bore is more what I am after this time around.

Gotta say, while I am a little wimpy with rifle recoil, handgun recoil bothers me very little. I might have to change my mind if I were to touch off that 45/70 though.

wow

Old 03-18-2012, 04:34 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,061,524 times
I own a 9" Freedom Arms in .454, with Mag-na-Porting on the muzzle end. I used to visit Alaska, often the Brooks Range, quite often, and thought of it as a sort of holsterable 45-70. About the same ballistics after all; 300 gr bullet @ 1700 fps. Ouch! OUCH!

Bullet obturation (sealing within the barrel grooves) is not usually fully successful with a hard cast bullet unless you use a full-power handload, which is the only way to shoot these guns with any frequency (the cost per round and all..)

Recoil is, understandably, vicious, with the single-action handgun grip, and that purposefully slick handgun wood so as to allow the revolver's snout to swivel up when touched off, has it pointing up at about a 60˚ angle. My son, when he fired it at age 13, ended up with a little square blood donation port in his forehead.

BTW, when FA did a field grade revolver with rubber grips, the increased traction it provided made the gun very much more unpleasant to fire, since it could not easily swivel up.

Now Ruger makes a double action ".454 C Alaskan" I believe, with a relatively short bbl on it. That would be nasty. But I do see these often in Alaskan combat fishing scenarios. I doubt if one guy in 5000 will ever pull and use one on an enraged grizz though. It's a status thing I'm pretty sure...

I'd always prefer a single-action in these biggies. (Oh yes: Taurus makes, and this is unbelievable, The Judge now in .410 & .454 Casull. Talk about hurting your hand!)

Alternate cartridges: The .460 S&W Magnum, which is just a longer .454 Casull based cart, and the gun will chamber the .454 C., but at a lower loading pressure (faster powder perhaps?) which they load down slightly. Or the S&W .500 magnum which ,ditto, they download to slightly lower pressures.

The .454 Casull is loaded, both unbelievably and impressively, to > 65,000 psi. A tad bit too high for my engineering standards, and I always down-load it a tiny bit, but still enough to make the bullets work right. (PM me for loads, which you lone would be responsible for, but I do have some good info, and I"m a gunsmith with >> 45 years of reloading experience...)

Still, I see 1700 fps with a 250 gr bullet, or 1600 with a 300 gr as well. Both quite effective, one would imagine!

Now If you did ever conceal-carry it just for fun and ego, the simple act of uncasing or unholstering it with a city-scum Ork in front of you with his switch-blade, that action alone would, in and of itself, make him need to go find a restroom!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:49 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,410,165 times
A couple years ago I had the opportunity to experience some big guns. At the time, I owned a .500 S&W with a 8 3/8 barrel that was ported. A friend of mine had a .454. Another friend had two .44 magnums and both were ported. One was a short barrel and one a long barrel.

We all got together so we could try out each others guns. I found the .44's and the .454 were hard to handle. My .500 S&W was much easier on the wrist and arm, but being mine, I was kind of biased. Or so I thought. When all was said and done, the guy that owned the .44's sold them and purchased a .500. The guy that had the .454 kept it, but added a .500 to his collection. They both loved the way my .500 handled.

I had purchased my .500 S&W because of possible encounters with bears or mountain lions. I figured if I was only going to have time for one shot, I wanted to take some meat off. Due to medical disability, I don't go into areas that I have to worry about that anymore, and figuring ammo at $2 a pop, I sold it. I still have several other pistols, the largest is a .45. Those I have kept.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 03-18-2012, 04:55 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,625,544 times
Taurus Raging Bull, though I wouldn't advise getting a short-barreled one unless you REALLY want to make shooting not fun.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:35 PM

10,936 posts, read 14,584,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
A couple years ago I had the opportunity to experience some big guns. At the time, I owned a .500 S&W with a 8 3/8 barrel that was ported. A friend of mine had a .454. Another friend had two .44 magnums and both were ported. One was a short barrel and one a long barrel.

We all got together so we could try out each others guns. I found the .44's and the .454 were hard to handle. My .500 S&W was much easier on the wrist and arm, but being mine, I was kind of biased. Or so I thought. When all was said and done, the guy that owned the .44's sold them and purchased a .500. The guy that had the .454 kept it, but added a .500 to his collection. They both loved the way my .500 handled.

I had purchased my .500 S&W because of possible encounters with bears or mountain lions. I figured if I was only going to have time for one shot, I wanted to take some meat off. Due to medical disability, I don't go into areas that I have to worry about that anymore, and figuring ammo at $2 a pop, I sold it. I still have several other pistols, the largest is a .45. Those I have kept.
I have a .44 Blackhawk and have some pretty beefy rounds for it- it's my tent gun. It makes me sleep a little better at night, lol.

Bit when I go in the backcountry I carry my 45-70 Marlin Guide Gun. I won't trust my butt with a handgun (generally). I'm not as good as I can be to rely on it in a chance encounter.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM

16,166 posts, read 27,421,913 times
All the other brands other than Freedom Arms are quite nice. But I find the Fredom Arms .454 casual with a 7-1/2" barrel, Magna-Ported by Freedom Arms...quite a pretty handgun (that's what I tell my wife sometimes to get a laugh out of her)

I am not a big guy by any means, and find this gun easy to shoot at the range. It's quite heavy, and the ports do an excellent job keeping the barrel on target after the shot. But while hunting in Alaska, this gun is loaded with Corborn hard-cast ammo. The bullets used are a little over 300 grains (don't remember at the moment), and the recoil is not bad. I carry this gun in bear country along my .338WM rifle, but it's usually on my ATV. However, the belt/holster I have for it is a bandoleer type, very comfortable, and named "Bandito" by the company that makes it.

P.S. I would not recommend a short-barreled .454 Casull. It's just too loud and would kick in your hand like a mule.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:58 PM

18,794 posts, read 13,576,329 times
Anybody have experience with any of the lever action .454 Casulls? I bought a Taurus RB when they first came out. I think it was early to mid 1990's. I always liked the idea of a combo rifle/revolver in .454. Never did bother to pick up one of the rifles. According to their web site, Rossi offers lever actions in .454 in either stainless or blued, with a 16" or 20" barrel.
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=8

Old 03-18-2012, 07:22 PM

From Rifleman:
Quote:
Now Ruger makes a double action ".454 C Alaskan" I believe, with a relatively short bbl on it. That would be nasty.
First off, thanks for all the info, great post and I sent a rep your way for it. Second, Ruger does indeed make the Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 with a 2.5" bl. As mentioned, hangun recoil bothers me very little, I fire my 629 in 44 one handed, even with the weak hand. But it has much more metal in it than that little Redhawk has, so was looking at other avenues. Sure, I want this to hip carry, but I also want to ENJOY shooting it once in a while. Was kinda hoping someone knew of something between the baby 2.5" and the rather long 7.5" the Super Redhawk comes in. I like to think of myself as a "real man", but might let out a whimper with that little 2.5" barrel.

I am a terminal cheapskate, and availability of ammo is pretty low around where I live, so reloading is the primary method of feeding the beasts I currently own, so would follow suit to reload for this as well. Moved a year ago, however, and currently have no shop to set up in.

From elkhunter:
Quote:
I owned a .500 S&W with a 8 3/8 barrel that was ported.
I don't know much about the .500 S&W, but that long of a barrel would be the same size as my little 44 mag. Was this on an N frame? If so, would be basically same size as my 629. How similar is this cartridge to the .500 Linebaugh? Or is that cartridge even still around..... I don't read gun mags any more and have not for a bunch of years, hence my forum questioning, as potentially goofy as the questions are.

From RayinAK:
Quote:
But I find the Fredom Arms .454 casual with a 7-1/2" barrel, Magna-Ported by Freedom Arms...quite a pretty handgun....I am not a big guy by any means, and find this gun easy to shoot at the range...
Hello Ray, great info there. Would rep ya, but your photos in the AK forum already got reps from me, and alas I have no more to give you..

I am not a big guy either, just average height and 30 lbs more than gov't standard, but am sure I could handle that FA gun at the range too. Have heard a few good things about Freedom Arms, have a co-worker that sold his FA in 454 a few years ago and just raves about it. He figured he could shoot his other handguns twice as much for the same $$ though, so got rid of it.

I am a fan of the Hogue grips, even have a set on my 629. Had wood grips on it that I found a little uncomfy so switched to the Hogue. The grip style was why I had looked at the Ruger and passed over the FA.

I don't own a single firearm with a ported barrel, so have zero experience with shooting ported barrels. Maybe I should tack a little side question on here about porting. Make more noise I would think, but does it reduce felt recoil?

And carry bandolier style.... I have an Uncle Mike's cross draw holster rig to carry the 8 3/4" model 629 of mine, but find it a little unwieldy. On a hunting trip about 10 years ago, I spooked a deer trying to casually wrestle it out of the holster. In it's favor, it keeps the big gun out of the way, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting