Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:00 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,764,983 times

Advertisements

I'm getting close to purchasing a new shotgun that will replace my old, old, old 870 express magnum as a coastal fowling piece.

I prefer pump action shotguns and I like the Benelli Nova model of an impervious shotgun, although I'm not crazy about the Nova itself. I may wind up purchasing one for a number of reasons, but it just isn't my favorite option.

I've handled (never fired) the Remington 887 on a number of occasions and I'm actually leaning in that direction because I like the way it shoulders, it's as though the dimensions of the forearm, trigger assembly and stock were designed for my farmer's hands and it's "870ishness" appeals to me in a Ford/Chevy way. That said, Remington's QC seems to have gone in the ****ter over the last decade or more and it seems that about 5% of the 887 purchasers get a shotgun with "battery lock failure" and there has been a lot of noise about repeatable double feeds.

The double feeds don't scare me as much. Those tend to come from the tac crowd who operate unplugged shotguns with a completely full magazine. If I remove the plug from my 870 and fill the magazine, the last shell just barely goes in and I get a double feed about 10% of the time; I would be surprised if that isn't approximately what's happening.

The out of battery problem does scare me. Apparently there are some bugs in the rotating bolt design that can result in light primer strikes or, worse, swollen brass that can't be extracted in the field (unless you carry a 30" dowel in your shell bag).

Anyway, my question is this: the vast majority of the negative reviews I've found are dated 2010 - does anyone know if Remington has addressed the 887 issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 12:23 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,750,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm getting close to purchasing a new shotgun that will replace my old, old, old 870 express magnum as a coastal fowling piece.

I prefer pump action shotguns and I like the Benelli Nova model of an impervious shotgun, although I'm not crazy about the Nova itself. I may wind up purchasing one for a number of reasons, but it just isn't my favorite option.

I've handled (never fired) the Remington 887 on a number of occasions and I'm actually leaning in that direction because I like the way it shoulders, it's as though the dimensions of the forearm, trigger assembly and stock were designed for my farmer's hands and it's "870ishness" appeals to me in a Ford/Chevy way. That said, Remington's QC seems to have gone in the ****ter over the last decade or more and it seems that about 5% of the 887 purchasers get a shotgun with "battery lock failure" and there has been a lot of noise about repeatable double feeds.

The double feeds don't scare me as much. Those tend to come from the tac crowd who operate unplugged shotguns with a completely full magazine. If I remove the plug from my 870 and fill the magazine, the last shell just barely goes in and I get a double feed about 10% of the time; I would be surprised if that isn't approximately what's happening.

The out of battery problem does scare me. Apparently there are some bugs in the rotating bolt design that can result in light primer strikes or, worse, swollen brass that can't be extracted in the field (unless you carry a 30" dowel in your shell bag).

Anyway, my question is this: the vast majority of the negative reviews I've found are dated 2010 - does anyone know if Remington has addressed the 887 issues?
I'm not fimilar with that model but own a 11-87 Premier and have owned 870s in the past. You shouldn't be just dealing with ANY Remington problems. Even with your 870 now. Remington is a warranty honored maker. Any and all issues should and will be fixed by them if you send it back. That would apply to the newer model if you got a turd. I'd send that 870 back too. Something is NOT right with it. I've never had a 870 12 gauge ever do that before on me. Don't suffer in silence with either piece.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:12 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I never had a problem with any Remington I owned.
Mossberg has a new shotgun that looks pretty exciting.
I own a Benelli/HK M3, smooth shooting.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
I'm not fimilar with that model but own a 11-87 Premier and have owned 870s in the past. You shouldn't be just dealing with ANY Remington problems. Even with your 870 now. Remington is a warranty honored maker. Any and all issues should and will be fixed by them if you send it back. That would apply to the newer model if you got a turd. I'd send that 870 back too. Something is NOT right with it. I've never had a 870 12 gauge ever do that before on me. Don't suffer in silence with either piece.
Yep. When loading 3" shells into my 870 with the plug removed, the last one sometimes doesn't go far enough into the magazine. The magazine spring being metalurgically accustomed to pushing against two shells may play a role as well.

I'm actually not dealing with any Remington problems nor do I consider that I ever have, my 870 express magnum has performed exactly as marketed for over 20 years.

I'm really hoping that someone knows whether or not I will be dealing with known Remington problems if I buy the 887 or if the new production models have addressed the "beta test" bugs.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 04-04-2012 at 08:00 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 07:20 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times
I can always understand wanting to buy another gun, but for rough duty use, if your current 870 Express is still working - I mean, you can't fix what ain't broke, right? Maybe just tear down, clean up, lube up, and re-assemble?

Have not heard that Remington is having quality problems lately.

I need to get out and shoot/hunt more with the guns I already have...

Old 04-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I can always understand wanting to buy another gun, but for rough duty use, if your current 870 Express is still working - I mean, you can't fix what ain't broke, right? Maybe just tear down, clean up, lube up, and re-assemble?

Have not heard that Remington is having quality problems lately.

I need to get out and shoot/hunt more with the guns I already have...
The 870 works great and always passes a glove test. There is one fingerprint mark on the receiver from when I was a boy. Apart from some severe deterioration of the finish on the basic walnut stock, a bent section of the vented rib from 1992 or so and some compromised bluing at that base of the receiver - the gun is in top notch condition and I have no plans to shelve it or sell it.

I want (not need) a more impervious design specifically for hunting over saltwater that will chamber 3 1/2" shells. I've always hunted with Remington scatterguns and am more inclined to stick with them than purchase a Benelli, however, some of the gun reviewers are scaring me off.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Have only seen the 887, never shouldered or fired one.

I, too, have an old 870 Express that has had zero issues in the 25 or so years I've had it.

If you were asking for a recommendation I'd tell you to look at a Browning BPS Stalker model also. Low gloss barrel and synthetic stock. I bought a used one a couple years ago and it is a very good shotgun. Also have a BPS Hunter in 16 ga. That's a fun shotgun.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Have only seen the 887, never shouldered or fired one.

I, too, have an old 870 Express that has had zero issues in the 25 or so years I've had it.

If you were asking for a recommendation I'd tell you to look at a Browning BPS Stalker model also. Low gloss barrel and synthetic stock. I bought a used one a couple years ago and it is a very good shotgun. Also have a BPS Hunter in 16 ga. That's a fun shotgun.
I have an old BPS 10 gauge that a grizzly goose hunter sold me when his shoulder went bad. That thing is incredible but the recoil really seems to make my wallet sore.

Do you reload for the 16? I haven't seen those shells in a long time (but I haven't had a reason to look, either).

Old 04-05-2012, 01:05 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Don't reload for the 16 (or any other). I have to mail order for shells for it, but then again I mail order most of my ammunition anyway, at least my waterfowl loads. Lead shells aren't as hard to find.

My youngest son used the 16 BPS a couple seasons for goose hunting, ran #2 Remington Express through it. That little bugger limited out every day we went out. He's now graduated to the 12 ga. BPS I mentioned earlier. His older brother has this affinity for a 16 ga. Stevens SxS that was his grandfather's. He runs Bismuth or Classic Doubles through it for waterfowl, regular lead for other game.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't reload for the 16 (or any other). I have to mail order for shells for it, but then again I mail order most of my ammunition anyway, at least my waterfowl loads. Lead shells aren't as hard to find.

My youngest son used the 16 BPS a couple seasons for goose hunting, ran #2 Remington Express through it. That little bugger limited out every day we went out. He's now graduated to the 12 ga. BPS I mentioned earlier. His older brother has this affinity for a 16 ga. Stevens SxS that was his grandfather's. He runs Bismuth or Classic Doubles through it for waterfowl, regular lead for other game.
I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're a black lab person...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting