Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:27 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times

Advertisements

I think the distance you can hit a target with a handgun depends on the caliber and the handgun. For silhouette shooters 100 yards isn't an impossible shot at all. I've shot further than that with my Thompson Encore in 308 Winchester caliber, but it has a scope. I've never tried it with anything I have with just open sights. Back when I was an LEO 50 yards with a 357 was not that hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I think the distance you can hit a target with a handgun depends on the caliber and the handgun. For silhouette shooters 100 yards isn't an impossible shot at all. I've shot further than that with my Thompson Encore in 308 Winchester caliber, but it has a scope. I've never tried it with anything I have with just open sights. Back when I was an LEO 50 yards with a 357 was not that hard.
You're right. Silhouette isn't hard. I'm talking about smaller steel plates. I have a 2/3 IPSC that I can easily hit at 50 and 75 yards. A small round plate is much tougher.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 PM

134 posts, read 147,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
You're right. Silhouette isn't hard. I'm talking about smaller steel plates. I have a 2/3 IPSC that I can easily hit at 50 and 75 yards. A small round plate is much tougher.
You'd be amazed at how many people miss those 3", 4" and 5" 1/2" thick steel round plates even at 15 yards. They swing from a frame.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
My buddy can hit a 50 yard target consistently with a snubby. I have been able to hit 50 yards with a 1911 and a 357. It's a stretch to hit 75 yards but I have succeeded with a 1911. Anything beyond that with just standard sights is asking too much.

When I'm referring to standard sights I mean, non-red dot, Holosight, scopes or lasers.

Indoors I used to shoot at the maximum 15 or 25 yards. Nowadays, 15 or 25 yards is really much easier. Practicing at various distances for combat shooting and target shooting is something I enjoy. The longer distances make shooting close targets so much easier.
I used to shoot at beer bottles at 40 yards with my American Eagle Luger, would generally hit 8 out of 10.

First shot out of my "Buntline" Beretta Minx .22 Short was at a bowling pin, 50 yards. Hit it, witnessed no less. This would be an 8/10 for me too.

Both of these have the old-school European "barleycorn" type sight, which is not as user-friendly as the Patridge you get on a target-oriented gat. But if you will concentrate on the front sight you have, rather than pining for the one you wish you had, good shooting can be done.

People tend to think a short barreled pistol or revolver won't hit at long range - the short barrel means a short sight radius and in some calibers a 2 or 3 inch barrel will lose enough velocity to make bullet drop and the hold-over needed to hit more of a problem than it is with a longer barrel. It is a bit harder to hit with a short-barreled handgun at longer ranges, but it is by no means impossible.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I used to shoot at beer bottles at 40 yards with my American Eagle Luger, would generally hit 8 out of 10.

First shot out of my "Buntline" Beretta Minx .22 Short was at a bowling pin, 50 yards. Hit it, witnessed no less. This would be an 8/10 for me too.

Both of these have the old-school European "barleycorn" type sight, which is not as user-friendly as the Patridge you get on a target-oriented gat. But if you will concentrate on the front sight you have, rather than pining for the one you wish you had, good shooting can be done.

People tend to think a short barreled pistol or revolver won't hit at long range - the short barrel means a short sight radius and in some calibers a 2 or 3 inch barrel will lose enough velocity to make bullet drop and the hold-over needed to hit more of a problem than it is with a longer barrel. It is a bit harder to hit with a short-barreled handgun at longer ranges, but it is by no means impossible.
That's good enough to make a difference. hahaha A short barreled gun is touchy and when somebody can do it right, then they are doing fine.

I am a bullseye shooter and I shoot 25 and 50 yards with a Springfield Service gun. It's been worked over and will dot the eye. I have found that through the years, I am loosing some of my accuracy. Muscle, strength, I don't know. I know I can hit an intruder, just can't hit the bulls like I used to.

Last time I went out with the ole .45, I marked 10 x's at 25. I shot at 50 and I am totally embarrased with my score. I shot a 287. When I was in my prime I could mark a 300, with 17+ x's. Just can't do it any more.

By the way. I have to shoot factory ammo. When I compete, I have to use what the range furnishes and it's always factory ammo. So a few years ago I stopped reloading as it didn't do anything but harm my shots. Now I shoot factory Lake City ammo. They are match grade and run about $75 a box.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:18 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
it really depends on the weapon, AND the round used. A subsonic round will have a shorter accuracy range than a supersonic round.

With my 9 mill, using a supersonic round, like a super vel, or federal hydroshok, I can consistantly hit a 100 yard silhouette in center mass. At 50 yards I am good for a head shot.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:28 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
That's good enough to make a difference. hahaha A short barreled gun is touchy and when somebody can do it right, then they are doing fine.

I am a bullseye shooter and I shoot 25 and 50 yards with a Springfield Service gun. It's been worked over and will dot the eye. I have found that through the years, I am loosing some of my accuracy. Muscle, strength, I don't know. I know I can hit an intruder, just can't hit the bulls like I used to.

Last time I went out with the ole .45, I marked 10 x's at 25. I shot at 50 and I am totally embarrased with my score. I shot a 287. When I was in my prime I could mark a 300, with 17+ x's. Just can't do it any more.

By the way. I have to shoot factory ammo. When I compete, I have to use what the range furnishes and it's always factory ammo. So a few years ago I stopped reloading as it didn't do anything but harm my shots. Now I shoot factory Lake City ammo. They are match grade and run about $75 a box.
Well, that little Minx is amazingly accurate, the trigger pull is a bit on the heavy side typical of small guns, but the overall craftsmanship on this 1954 built gat is excellent.

That shot was at the old Fort St. Vrain (high-temperature gas cooled reactor power plant) guard training range, which at the time at least any employee could use after taking the range officer course, or even without that if a range officer was present the whole time you were shooting.

Back then I know that Ross Seyfried lived in Weld county somewhere, it occurred to me to see if he would shoot it for the local TV station, you may remember all that "Saturday Night Special" bruhaha going on in the mid to late 80's. I imagine he could have mowed down as many bowling pins as the gat would hold rounds in the magazine, at that same 50 yards, at a pace on the order of 2 pins per second or so. Never got a chance to meet him, should have made more of an effort...

I need to get out and shoot more, I used to burn a lot of powder, no doubt I am a bit rusty...

Old 04-28-2012, 08:46 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,530 times
50 yrds with a Mod 23 Glock..pure dumb luck, the target was a 12" paper circle

Old 04-28-2012, 05:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
The folks I shoot with are far better than me but with my XPs or Contenders a 6" plate at 100 yards is pretty much a hit every shot. One of the guys will shoot against you offhand with him using a Super Blackhawk against your rifle at 100 yds. Rarely does he lose. But these guys shoot almost daily and it makes a BIG difference. These same guys are also shooting rifles offhand 200 meters with open sights. Most folks can't beat them from a bench with a scoped rifle. The groups are incredible. If it wasn't for the physical requirements, running, jumping, etc, these guys would make the Top Shot guys look like clowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting