Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:26 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Everybody lives in a different structure and have much different circumstances.

I would think that the norm is a stick home, 5/8 sheetrock, normal siding and as such, a .308 is overkill. I remember the statement of "Remember, you own the bullet until it stops" and fully understand that.

If a person, like me, lived in a log cabin on several acres, maybe a .308 is not so outrageous. It's not what I would use, personally, but I could understand somebody else using it. When I lived on the farm and had 640 acres to worry about along with a yard with a couple hundred thousand dollars in equipment parked around the different outbuildings, I migh have been called on protecting things out to a couple hundred yards. The one time I was called on to defend, was against an intruder and my 1894 12 gauge was all I needed. With it, I alternated slug, 00 buck, slug, 00 buck.

In the end, I could see a .308 as defense of ones property, but could not see it as "Home" defense.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 06:06 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
.308 then I would have to say can't go wrong with the FN FAL

FAL The First Black Rifle - YouTube
then again unless you are a Defense Contractor or serving overseas not sure why someone would need this kind of firepower for a home defense/Self defense firearm..

Old 06-18-2012, 06:57 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
then again unless you are a Defense Contractor or serving overseas not sure why someone would need this kind of firepower for a home defense/Self defense firearm..
Here's why I might need one, although I prefer the venerable -06

Of course I don't have an OP issue either, my nearest neighbor could be directly shot at with a 50BMG and it would hit dirt before their home.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:33 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
Maybe if your home is a sailboat, and you frequent dangerous waters... that's really all I can think about that can be used for effectively. It would have the punch up close with the portability if needed to use below deck, and the range.

Chances are, you wouldn't be sailing into those waters in the first place.

I use the PTR91 for my home defense. not worried of any penetration of the walls here.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:03 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
It's funny to read threads like this as people have been watching too many movies.

Anyone ever fired this caliber inside an actual house? I've seen it done inside a shoot house and your actual civilian doing the shooting isn't going to handle the sound and recoil well. Not to mention you are going to be sending a high energy round through walls out there into the world to hit whatever else.

For a very rural area to take on bears and bad guys outside the house, sure, but inside an average American home, forget it.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:06 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It's funny to read threads like this as people have been watching too many movies.

Anyone ever fired this caliber inside an actual house? I've seen it done inside a shoot house and your actual civilian doing the shooting isn't going to handle the sound and recoil well. Not to mention you are going to be sending a high energy round through walls out there into the world to hit whatever else.

For a very rural area to take on bears and bad guys outside the house, sure, but inside an average American home, forget it.
Everyone is agreeing with you.

The general consensus in this forum is that .308 is not an appropriate HD round. It has its uses but HD, especially in a crowded area, is not one of them.

However, it does look like an awesome gun and is probably a blast to shoot.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Unless you house is built of concrete filled cinder block, I wouldn't bet on it.

SKS 7.62x39 penetration test #2 vs 12" wood, frying pan & waterjug - YouTube

22 inches of steel reinforced concrete. a nice energy saving home. earth built up on 3 sides and the roof. never gets hotter than 57 degrees during summer or 55 degrees in the winter.
check earth dome homes sometime. well worth the money, plus it will last longer than a conventional home too.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODG2 View Post
Right, because if you have a rifle or shotgun within arms reach, only a fool grabs for the hand heater!
I have both within hands reach when I am sleeping.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 PM

242 posts, read 465,533 times
12 Ga Pump Shotgun, #4 Buckshot 3 in. magnum round, Modified choke, unplugged. Is useful on a wide range of varmits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting