Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Yeah, it was a hard decision, but the car became such a low priority because the time, money, and skill required to rebuild it. Those are all doable, but I am in the military and the car was at my parents' home. Getting it to a place where I could actually work on it was a small logistical operation in and of itself.

You are completely right about the value of firearms. They seem to hold up well if the owners take care of them. I certainly do take care of mine because I see them as an investment. I don't have a large collection (compared to some on this forum, anyway) but the guns in my collection are all good quality.

I'm done adding to my collection for now. I have a few more on my wish list, but they are on next year's acquisition schedule and beyond. Meanwhile I am going to focus on becoming more and more proficient on the ones that I do have.
A little fatherly advise from your local on-line gunsmith: for your next new-gun purchase, you might want to look carefully at either a new Savage "F" class rifle, in 6.5-284, or a Tika or Sako!

All of these are all about 400% better-built than the current line of Remingtons. Over the past 27 yrs as a custom gunsmith, I've built countless rifles based on the timeless Rem 700 action; it's just that the Remington Corporation has obviously gotten very lazy down at their all-new Remington production facilities, since their overall production output has slowed to a trickle of it's former self, and they are always now trying bold new manufacturing means to make 'em even more cheaply.

This has also extended to Marlin, which Rem bought a while back. "It's the economy, stupitt!" they used to say, but still: how come others can build them properly but not famous Remington? PS: they had to stop the production line on the famously well-built and tough Marlin centerfire lever guns last fall due to overwhelming quality problems. Hmmmmm....

I am very patriotic, but I also can't stand to see upper management or the line workers just standing by and making do with important quality issues. Can you? At least write and tell them if you DO have any quality problems.

Thx for listening, guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:49 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
A little fatherly advise from your local on-line gunsmith: for your next new-gun purchase, you might want to look carefully at either a new Savage "F" class rifle, in 6.5-284, or a Tika or Sako!

All of these are all about 400% better-built than the current line of Remingtons. Over the past 27 yrs as a custom gunsmith, I've built countless rifles based on the timeless Rem 700 action; it's just that the Remington Corporation has obviously gotten very lazy down at their all-new Remington production facilities, since their overall production output has slowed to a trickle of it's former self, and they are always now trying bold new manufacturing means to make 'em even more cheaply.

This has also extended to Marlin, which Rem bought a while back. "It's the economy, stupitt!" they used to say, but still: how come others can build them properly but not famous Remington? PS: they had to stop the production line on the famously well-built and tough Marlin centerfire lever guns last fall due to overwhelming quality problems. Hmmmmm....

I am very patriotic, but I also can't stand to see upper management or the line workers just standing by and making do with important quality issues. Can you? At least write and tell them if you DO have any quality problems.

Thx for listening, guys!
I value the input and advice from anyone who is willing to share, so please do not think that I am disregarding what you've said. But I have 100% confidence in my decision to go with the Remington. I gave Savage and Tikka a long look as well. The Savage I passed on due to the synthetic stock. Savage makes a good product, but I just could not excite myself about the gun. (This does not apply to the .22 WMR that I bought from Savage of course, just to my primary hunting rifle.) The Tikka was also a very nice product and I have heard good things about them, as well as bad. I was not impressed with the bolt action, though. I can say the same for the Browning.

I do not doubt your claims that the Remington brand has fallen victim to shortcuts over the years. I think (sadly) that this is true about many American iconic brands (remember Coca-Cola's ill-fated attempt to alter their formula in the 1980s?) With that said I still believe that they made the best option for me. The 700 line has been a top seller for about 50 years. It serves as the base platform for the M40 sniper rifle employed by the Marine Corps Scout Snipers. The gun smiths (we call them armorers) that make the conversions swear by this rifle. I've served with Scout Snipers who hunt in their off time, and one whom I trust will not buy anything BUT the Remington 700. I am coming up on 13 years in the Marines, and have learned one thing about my beloved institution: We do not fool around when it comes to our rifles. I consider our use of the Remington a sweeping endorsement of the product.

Last edited by iknowftbll; 05-29-2012 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:

Thx for listening, guys!
About what year would you say Remington started going downhill on quality?

The newest Remington I have is a still unfired 350 Rem Mag "Classic Classic" M700 (are they still doing one old caliber per year?)

Agreed, there ought to be enough money in building a good gun for a good price, that there is no excuse to turn out junk.

Look at Ruger - they are not as finely made as pre-war Winchesters or Colts (well, what is?) but they are well-made, very rugged, all round good guns.

You are right to point out the Savage bolt gun as a big bargain in terms of a lot of accuracy and shoot-ability for a reasonable price.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:34 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Good advice!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Wise decision. Suggest getting training from well qualified instructors and investing in ammunition for same classes.
Very good advice on the ammo situation, llMOg! Local supplies of 9mm, 22LR, 12 & 20ga, and certainly .45ACP, are drying up again from our local box hardware store's supplier!

Our military is indeed a bit short of such critical supplies these days, plus one can only wonder if the Obama Admin might not be quietly "adjusting" the availability of, say, primers, brass etc.

Given that possibility, the hoarders seem to be at it again, which only raises the prices of ammo and components out of sight. 22LR may be worth more than gold if TSHTF! I buy a few 500-count bricks every once in a while!

Care to buy some from me? $50 for 25 rounds? It's not an impossible scenario!

BTW, I've thought about a 1911 with a .22 conversion kit. Would be a good idea, don't you think! A Johnathan Ciener conversion for instance...

Jonathan Arthur Ciener, Inc. Gun Conversions

(Just make sure he has an easy conversion option before you buy the base 1911...)

Or the same thing on a 9mm Browning P-35 Hi-Power. Such a lovely handgun!)

GunWeek.com

Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
BTW, I've thought about a 1911 with a .22 conversion kit. Would be a good idea, don't you think! A Johnathan Ciener conversion for instance...
GunWeek.com
Why not just get a 1911 chambered in .22 LR? Mine is a really nice one and it frees up the .45. There are several on the market that are not that much more expensive than the conversion kits, and you have a whole new gun.

I am completely with you on stocking up on .22 LR ammo, too. The CCI mini-mag is the product that Sig recommends for their copy of the 1911-22. I have read that the bulk stuff will jam easily in that gun, though I plan on seeing for myself soon. If it works well, I'll have a couple boxes saved up for a rainy day. As I do with every cartridge/shell that I own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting