Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:40 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,068,861 times

Advertisements

I have, for the longest time wanted to get my CCW permit. However, I was talking with a friend the other day and he mentioned something to me that really made me stop and think.

What better way to have a "roster" of all the people who have guns than to use the documentation that is on file for concealed carry permits? Obviously, people with CCW permits are going to be the most schooled and active when it comes to guns. Most likely they are going to have more guns, more ammo and know how to use them - thus being a formidable threat to anyone who comes a-confiscatin'.

In Missouri I am fortunate to have the Castle doctrine which permits me to have a concealed weapon on my person while I am on my own property (which extends to my place of business, I am told by the local constabulary), and while I am in my vehicle. When I exit my vehicle to transport the weapon I am required to ensure it is in plain sight, which I don't have a problem with.

Being greatly concerned about staying "under the radar" in the event that gun laws change, I am very hesitant to let the world know that I have a weapon and carry it.

What are your thoughts on this?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:16 PM

46,219 posts, read 26,980,998 times
Have you ever bought a weapon at a store, if so, they already have you in the system. If you have bought all your weapons from your friends then who knows?

Because you have a CCW does not mean you know how to handle a weapon, trust me, I knowa few who have a CCW, and they have no clue....

Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 PM

142 posts, read 164,060 times
This is just paranoia. If you worry about all the conspiracy theory's you will live in a cave and never come out. Just get your CCW and carry. Don't waste your time with this non sense.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:23 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,961,536 times
This concept (gun grabs) was discussed on a thread a few days ago:

Wanna See Something Really Frightening? (leo's and weapons confiscation)

Some of the talk may be a bit on the alarmist side, I'll admit. That's what we get here on CD. You may be on to something regarding open carry. Try to compare open carry/concealed carry to a police officer patrolling a stretch of road or waiting in a hidden speed trap. What is the purpose you are trying to achieve? Are you trying to prevent speeders or catch them? Police officers will tell you that they want to prevent speeders, but then they hide out in speed traps, signaling that their objective really is to CATCH speeders.

Now I really believe in both open carry and concealed carry. It all depends on your objective. Do you wish to signal "Don't mess with me!" If so, strut around with your heater on your hip for all to see! Or if you would rather not draw attention to yourself, go concealed.

Your friend raises a good point, though. Concealed permits essentially become a data base. Most of this stuff is maintained at the state level, but I would not put it past the Feds to seize this data.

As far as gun grabs go, it won't be an overnight edict out of Washington. Like all other freedoms that the government takes away, this will be gradual, wrapped in a pretty ribbon and bow in order to not raise objections. Think: property taxes on firearms. Or perhaps an annual registration fee for each firearm owned.

The good news is that 2nd Amendment cases are being won by the good guys left and right. Gun grab laws are still a ways off. We can push them further from the mind of the government if we influence our non-gun-owning friends to take up our side of this issue. Bring a friend to the range and see if he/she can become interested in sharing your hobby. Maybe they'll decide to buy a firearm of their own.

The more responsible gun owner we have out there the better. Respect the local laws, but challenge them through the legal system where you believe they are unjust. We CAN certify our position on this issue. We CAN sway government to uphold our 2nd Amendment rights.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:24 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,974,296 times
Gee... All my guns are at the bottom of the ocean lost in a tragic boating accident. Such a shame.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:31 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,068,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Have you ever bought a weapon at a store, if so, they already have you in the system. If you have bought all your weapons from your friends then who knows?

Because you have a CCW does not mean you know how to handle a weapon, trust me, I knowa few who have a CCW, and they have no clue....
To answer your question, I have purchased only one gun at a "store" and that was in 1976. I can't imagine that there is any record of it now, since most of the gun laws were passed after that date.

As for my other guns, they were purchased privately or inherited. So, I am reasonably sure that there aren't any records out there with MY name on them.

I do not like to believe in conspiracies, however, I do not put ANYTHING past the government, so caution is very important to me. I am very proactive in supporting any pro-2nd amendment legislation and know most of my local and state representatives by their first name.

thanks for the replies so far.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-06-2012, 07:41 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,179,026 times
I don't really see a reason to be worried, to be honest. I mean, I do, but I don't. Theoretically laws could be passed like that, but it'd be political suicide for this year at least.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,961,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I don't really see a reason to be worried, to be honest. I mean, I do, but I don't. Theoretically laws could be passed like that, but it'd be political suicide for this year at least.
Be worried, no. Exercise CONSTANT vigilance toward government at all levels: definitely.

NOTE: I am not against government. I believe in the concept of government, the rule of law, and an ordained body to enforce accountability in society. But the problem is government is staffed by fallible humans, so it is by nature imperfect. For more on my stance on government, google Federalist Paper #51!

Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,578,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Gee... All my guns are at the bottom of the ocean lost in a tragic boating accident. Such a shame.

I sold all my guns in private sales many years ago. I have no recollection of any of the buyers.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have, for the longest time wanted to get my CCW permit. However, I was talking with a friend the other day and he mentioned something to me that really made me stop and think.

What better way to have a "roster" of all the people who have guns than to use the documentation that is on file for concealed carry permits? Obviously, people with CCW permits are going to be the most schooled and active when it comes to guns. Most likely they are going to have more guns, more ammo and know how to use them - thus being a formidable threat to anyone who comes a-confiscatin'.

In Missouri I am fortunate to have the Castle doctrine which permits me to have a concealed weapon on my person while I am on my own property (which extends to my place of business, I am told by the local constabulary), and while I am in my vehicle. When I exit my vehicle to transport the weapon I am required to ensure it is in plain sight, which I don't have a problem with.

Being greatly concerned about staying "under the radar" in the event that gun laws change, I am very hesitant to let the world know that I have a weapon and carry it.

What are your thoughts on this?

20yrsinBranson
My thoughts are that you should go ahead and get the Missouri CCW permit as it is honored in more states than any other CCW permit. At least take the class and get the training so that you know the Missouri weapons and use of lethal force laws rather than taking the Constable's word. Not all municipalities allow open carry so sometimes you might be required by law to leave the concealed weapon in your car as opposed to on your person. Note that in Missouri the CCW is a weapon's permit and not specifically a pistol permit.

The MO-CCW is not a firearms registry (as is the Illinois FOID). It only indicates that you have taken the class, passed the test, and passed your background check from the MHP. Therefore, your permit tells LE "I am not a felon."

As for LE having more guns, more ammo, and knowing how to use the weapons, what keeps you from holding yourself to a higher standard of training than LE firearms qualification standards (IMO, a very low bar)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting