U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:01 AM

10,626 posts, read 11,021,451 times

Advertisements

Who has an opinion about this shotgun? I've read many reviews, and it seems people either swear by it or have absolutely no use for it whatsoever. Reviews tend to lean slightly toward those who swear by it, though enough users have enough negative things to say about it that it has me thinking twice. I am leaning hard toward purchasing one of these guns later this year or early next year. Generally I trust the Remington brand, and the 11-87 is a reasonably priced gun. I plan on using it as a turkey gun for spring gobbler season here in VA.

I really want an O/U but there are a couple reasons why I am beginning to change my mind. The high cost of a good one being one reason, and the fact that they aren't really commonly used as turkey guns is not lost on me either. So I began looking at other options.

Some of the impressions I have after reading A LOT of reviews is that the older copies of this gun tend to be fine. It's the new ones that tend to get the mixed reviews. For example, one outdoor shops site may feature 20 reviews from customers who have bought the gun in the last 2 years. 11 will be 5 star, 8 will be 1 star, and there will be 1 3 star thrown in just to make it more fun.

A common complaint has been the charging handle breaking off. Common praises include cycling and reliability, with one review claiming that his sat at the bottom of a pond for 2 days before he could recover it. After drying and cleaning, he said it fired as if nothing ever happened.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:06 AM

502 posts, read 1,192,144 times
Never had an issue with my 11-87 special purpose. But, it was designed to shoot "real" loads. Try and run some light field loads and it had issues.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
Never had an issue with my 11-87 special purpose. But, it was designed to shoot "real" loads. Try and run some light field loads and it had issues.
How old is your gun? I understand the newer copies are made so that the gun will cycle with the lighter loads.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:41 AM

502 posts, read 1,192,144 times
Around 10 years old if I recall correctly.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:36 AM

10 years, not too shabby. Thanks for the info!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:02 AM

5,619 posts, read 12,926,551 times
If you think you want a over and under shotgun, and don't want to break the bank, look at the Yildiz at Academy. They are the sole importer of this Turkish made scattergun. I've never shot one and the only complaint I have about it is the stock seems rather light in weight so recoil is going to be an issue with a 12ga. Considering the under $400.00 price tag, you can buy the absolute best recoil pad for it and still call it a cheap date. Here's some linkys for ya:
Gun Review: Yildiz SPZ ME 12 Gauge Over-and-Under Shotgun | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns
Academy - Shotguns

Old 07-08-2012, 09:36 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,294,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Who has an opinion about this shotgun? I've read many reviews, and it seems people either swear by it or have absolutely no use for it whatsoever. Reviews tend to lean slightly toward those who swear by it, though enough users have enough negative things to say about it that it has me thinking twice. I am leaning hard toward purchasing one of these guns later this year or early next year. Generally I trust the Remington brand, and the 11-87 is a reasonably priced gun. I plan on using it as a turkey gun for spring gobbler season here in VA.

I really want an O/U but there are a couple reasons why I am beginning to change my mind. The high cost of a good one being one reason, and the fact that they aren't really commonly used as turkey guns is not lost on me either. So I began looking at other options.

Some of the impressions I have after reading A LOT of reviews is that the older copies of this gun tend to be fine. It's the new ones that tend to get the mixed reviews. For example, one outdoor shops site may feature 20 reviews from customers who have bought the gun in the last 2 years. 11 will be 5 star, 8 will be 1 star, and there will be 1 3 star thrown in just to make it more fun.

A common complaint has been the charging handle breaking off. Common praises include cycling and reliability, with one review claiming that his sat at the bottom of a pond for 2 days before he could recover it. After drying and cleaning, he said it fired as if nothing ever happened.

What are your thoughts?
The only insight I have into the 1187 is that a friend of mine has hunted ducks along the Texas coast with hers for four years. She puts that gun through hell and it works fine for her.

Remington seems to be having some QC problems lately, but I think those have been largely confined to their "entry level" lines.

I think there are probably better shotguns at the 1187 price point, however.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The only insight I have into the 1187 is that a friend of mine has hunted ducks along the Texas coast with hers for four years. She puts that gun through hell and it works fine for her.

Remington seems to be having some QC problems lately, but I think those have been largely confined to their "entry level" lines.

I think there are probably better shotguns at the 1187 price point, however.
Jim,
Thank you for posting and offering your own experience (or at least that of someone close to you). At the 11-87 price point, what other options do you believe to be better? I'm very open to suggestion.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:32 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,294,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Jim,
Thank you for posting and offering your own experience (or at least that of someone close to you). At the 11-87 price point, what other options do you believe to be better? I'm very open to suggestion.
Some people are doubtless going to disagree with me, but I think that some of the rebranded Turkish guns deliver a lot of value. For example, the Weatherby SA-08 and the CZ 712, with particular recommendation towards the CZ. Baikal (which used to be sold in the United States under the Remington name) now markets directly to the states. The Baikal, typical of Russian guns, is about as ergonomic as a 2x4 and you must manually adjust the gas to go between light and heavy loads - but it's a great value and a very robust design. You're not going to break anything on that one.

To me, if you don't want to step into the four-digit range then I don't think it makes that much sense to go with Remington autoloaders. I would actually prefer a Benelli Nova to an 1187.

As an aside, I own a Yldiz O/U in 12 gauge. I like that gun for long hunts because it is light, the metal and woodwork is pretty and it was inexpensive, HOWEVER, it kicks like a mule and there's something about that one that gives me a bruise under my right orbital process after repeated firing.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 AM

33,832 posts, read 41,892,438 times
Over the years I've hunted with a number of guys who own the Remington Jam-O-Matic..........errr 11-87. This goes back to the mid 1980's. I would not recommend it as one to buy unless you are getting an incredible, unable to pass on, deal. Now, I do have to say that the guys I know who have them (around a dozen) have very little in the way of doing maintenance/cleaning skills. A couple would always carry a can of Liquid Wrench and when the gun jammed they'd clear it and just spray the Wrench all through the action.

One of the guys I hunt with now has a new one and it spends more time in the blind in pieces than it does put together. I just hand him my little tool kit after we set up the decoys.

I don't know your price point but a Browning Silver is worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting