Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:40 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,898,958 times

Advertisements

NOTE: Maybe this thread post should be on a politics forum? But I'm also seeing where this horrid July 20th, 2012 event will have predictable cultural and political impacts on the legal, sane and ethical gun-owning community.

I just now, (10:45a PDT) heard the Special Breaking News ABC coverage with Diane Sawyer, never a friend to gun owners, with her "breaking news!" coverage of this absolutely horrifying event's perp. The police had released a picture of this nice-looking and seemingly politically correct guy. Can we EVER know what "lurks" behind the mind of anyone? You, me, our local minister or politician or a young college grad-student?

I will say first off, as a fellow human being and American citizen, that this was terrible news to wake up to. My heart, my soul my sorrow goes out to all involved; the victims, this young deranged man's family, and the kind and already suffering citizens of Colorado (those devastating wildfires that have ill-disposed so many...). What happened to this man, a seemingly kind, high-IQ (currently seeking his PhD in neuroscience!), and productive individual with a probable successful life before him, that would set him off on such a rampage? Where did the anger or politically generated rage come from?

Of course, the firearms he chose did provide an easy, easily attained and potent "tool". If he'd come into my shop, passed the FBI NICS check, and the local sheriff's and the mandatory State check on the handguns with a mandatory 5 - 7 day wait before he can take physical delivery{state dependent}, and purchased the weapons he was found this morning, (as our Network firearms expert Diane Sawyer noted) an AR-15, two Glocks and a shotgun! The details of the AR were then embellished by a staffer on ABC as "an assault-style rifle". His AR-15 indeed had a 20 or 30 round clip, with which this man could easily maintain his onslaught "...and with amazing rapidity, right, "so and so"??" {added Diane astutely, directing this critical commentary ostensibly to the other guy in the on-scene commentary}

"Uhh... yea.... " he started to respond, but she cut him off.

Always leave the key phrase in the listener's mind, right? ("Oh... I'm sorry your honor, I retract my comment about this man being insane..." Heck; we've all seen it on those TV courtroom shows, right?) We'll undoubtedly get more of Diane's scholarly and focused viewpoint on this topic of portable lethality later!.

Well but still, how did a guy booby-trap his entire apartment complex unnoticed? How did he get downtown unnoticed, in full SWAT gear, with a vest on and carrying all that stuff including smoke grenades, etc?

Did he say or present anything unusual go his co-students? Like while he was out for a Friday night drink? Anything? Should we see anything, or did his friends miss it all or a tiny little out-of-the-usual thing? Who will ever know!

BTW, this suburb of Denver is literally infested with military personnel, many of whom simply must have seen live combat and the accoutrement of that environment. Hmmm... Seems the guy should perhaps have stuck out somehow, but then, he also may well have done it all through the alley behind the cinema. (purely my speculation, btw... just trying to get a mental handle on this tragedy)

But most critically, can we, or will we, EVER be able to pre-psycho-check everyone out on our free streets? Will we all end up walking through some sort of mental state aura detector as we leave our government-provided apartment in the morning? Will our irises all be scanned when we pick up our subway ticket? Will the handrail we touch briefly check our heart-rate and general skin conductivity, and compare it to the same stat on us that's been collected for the past 10 years.
And then, if something's slightly amiss, will we be politely but forcefully stopped (by a 'Polico-Bot and his German Shep-Bot, with it's digitally created growl and snarl?)and asked to visit the nearest "Visitor's Psy-Ops Health and Corrections Centre" (ps: I'm using the Euro spelling since the Obamanista's all seem to love that model...)

"Oh oh... rifleman's showing a slight uptick in his galvanic skin response, and you know his usually firey political state! Let's get him in here, STAT! And get otheur Mk II Restrain-a-Bot ready... just in case")

Should we ban all dangerous devices? Like in Canada or Britain for instance? Or just ban "Bad Thoughts"! The crime rates in those, and many more, big cities, when selectively interpreted, are lower for sure, but in the cities of Calgary and Vancouver, or London and Birmingham, the rat-a-tat of full-auto gunfire regularly rings in the streets.

Good Lord! Imagine this, in Lotus-Land {the local moniker for Vancouver and the lower mainland of BC. It IS beautiful when it's not drizzling...}, referencing the Asian and russian and Mexican and S. American drug cartels and their enforcer gangs.

This event will become a focus point for sure. Again, the event itself is hugely culturally disturbing. And... should I now carry my J-Frame to see the new Batman movie, checking out each and every customer who sits down near me? Will this blood-letting spawn, so to speak, further Copy-Cat events? It seems that we all do have a penchant for that one, all over this planet I'm afraid.

"Pardon me ma'am, but aren't you a bit overdressed for a very warm July? Say... is that a bullet-proof vest you have on there? Everyone! RUN FOR IT!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Peace and God, if you so believe, be with you all, my friends! Hearts and Prayers to the victims, and all the families.

Sincerely, rifleman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 07:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,990,729 times
It's amazing that the rampage in Colorado hit the news in minutes.

However, a rampage that was stopped, in the same town earlier this year, never made the national news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sKQ...layer_embedded

This morning I wanted to listen to the news to see what, exactly, had happened. My problem was that I actually expected CBS to report the news, not twist it. I was sadly disappointed and got up and shut off the tv when a reported said, "We don't don't know how this person could have aquired so many guns in such a short period of time. None of the guns are registered. In the video you can see where the police came with bigger guns to secure the scene. Why do I watch such crap?

Old 07-20-2012, 08:14 PM

751 posts, read 1,478,523 times
This is an incredibly horrific event.

The movie is not to blame.
The crowd gathered at the theater is not to blame.
Nor is the gas mask, the guns, the dark, or the victims.

The ONLY blame lies with an individual that is obviously WAY past the definition of mean.

I am not a defender of the death penalty but in this case, the killer deserves it.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 PM

142 posts, read 164,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
This is an incredibly horrific event.

The movie is not to blame.
The crowd gathered at the theater is not to blame.
Nor is the gas mask, the guns, the dark, or the victims.

The ONLY blame lies with an individual that is obviously WAY past the definition of mean.

I am not a defender of the death penalty but in this case, the killer deserves it.
Sure it was the guy pulling the trigger, but lets take this to its reductio ad absurdum, If we included arms to mean nukes than it would not be the uranium that was to blame for a missing city, but the guy that pushed the button. The question is what restrictions should be in place to limit the availability of what arms.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:42 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,822,685 times
This is truly a tragic action by a young man that needed attention somewhere along the way earlier in his life.
I am waiting for the political or racial spin that comes out of this by the left.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:04 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,874,056 times
I see this as fuel for the morons in DC to sign the UN mandate that says we have to give up our firearms. Dimwit is suppose to sign it July 27. Obviously against the Constitution but they haven't a clue what that piece of paper is anyway. Lord knows they've ignored it at convenience. I would also suggest that you start buying ammo. This is the area they are going to go after next. You can have the firearm, you just can't buy the ammo or components to make it. This clown just bought 10,000 rounds from Cabelas and Gander Mountain for this event. Might also want to start taking Chinese language classes considering they all but own this country at mortgage.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:09 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,329,432 times
I did not know that your average citizen could buy a bullet proof vest or body armor?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:14 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,990,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidigger View Post
Sure it was the guy pulling the trigger, but lets take this to its reductio ad absurdum, If we included arms to mean nukes than it would not be the uranium that was to blame for a missing city, but the guy that pushed the button. The question is what restrictions should be in place to limit the availability of what arms.
I don't think any amount of restrictions would keep things like this from happening. If he didn't have firearms, he probably would have driven through the crowd as they were coming out.

You can't cover every scenario, every time. If you could, automobiles would have been outlawed a long time ago.

Look at it the other way. If every person in that theater was armed, the guy would have been stopped in short order. So it's not that we should restrict arms, but rather that we should require everybody to be armed and trained with those arms.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:37 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,898,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidigger View Post
Unfortunatley for the anti-gun proponents, you really can't really effectively limit "types" of arms and thereby control such events as this one, since that can not change the destructive and pathological mindset of someone like this. After all, even if he could not have purchased, as he legally did, these mere four firearms, what if he'd walked in to this cinema with, let's say, 5 1-litre wine bottles filled with gasoline and alcohol, and with a nicely pre-soaked rag fuse sticking out the top, alá Colonel Molotov's historical anti-tank weapon from WW-II?

Tossing those into the crowd starting at the rear exit doors and then into the midst of the panicing citizens, would have actually killed or injured a lot more people than 12!

1) Internet Instructions:

Image Detail for - Molotov_cocktail , gasoline_bomb , petrol_bomb

and...

Image Detail for - molotov cocktail diagram

2) Internet image (so you know how to hold and toss it effectively, Comrade!

Image Detail for - filled with molotov hour tee shirt petrol bomb jan doing

And 3): It's nifty effectiveness! (far more spectacular than some simple AR-15 spritz!):

molotov cocktail - Bing Images

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
This is truly a tragic action by a young man that needed attention somewhere along the way earlier in his life.
I am waiting for the political or racial spin that comes out of this by the left.
Quite so, shadowwalker. It will be predictable and pernicious this time!

"Limit or ban assault type/styled weapons, Now! "

Or, my favorite:

"If it saves the life of just one innocent movie goer..."

Even though these rifles have the predominant rifle "style" in the US now, what with Remington's deer hunting versions for example, and all those alternate deer-capable {and even grizzly capable!} chamberings (6.5s, 6.8s, .458 Socoms [for those pesky bears or moose!], 7-08s, .308s, and so on and so forth.

After all, a large numer of returning "Sand Box" vets have had extensive experience with this "style" of weapon now, and are more han capable of using it properly and safely. What, it's OK for them to handle them in Iraq but not in their homes?

"But what if they have PTSD? Maybe that should be a disqualifier for any firearms ownership!"

Well then, let's treat those veterans properly and not strangle them financially, and discard them as we now do? (BTW, this perp was not a vet.)

As well, let's categorically forbid any and all convicted drunk drivers from EVER getting another driver's license, OK? I mean... "If it saves the life of just one innocent driver out there..."

But heck; seriously now, I will add: why would you want to go after deer with such a style of weapon? (Though many states do limit the mag capacity on all semi-autos to 5, a fact that ABC won't be reporting any time soon.) To that valid point, I do wonder who would go after a muley with a 30 round clip! Makes the weapon a tad bit heavy, no? as for me, I use a Sharps single shot 45-90, or my Dakota No. 10 single shot chambered in my own wildcat cartridge ( .366 {9l3mm} on a .325 Win Short Mag case. Spectacular performer out to 250 m., and one shot does seem to be enough...)

Yep. When I opened up Yahoo earlier today, the various daily news feeds were all there in order. I'm told that the perp had apparently "stockpiled" 6000 rounds of ammo. Hell, I have that in my first couple of boxes! I suppose any "normal" hunter type is supposed to have what now at home, tops? Two boxes? Three? Else you're some sort of loco-loon?

So... The ammo restrictions will be next. And registration of them, or perhaps the unavailability of primers or powder? I mean, heck, who "needs" more than 100 rounds, and even that....

Just you wait until Barry gets re-elected! Which, sadly, I am certainly anticipating, unless "Mitt old boy" get's some sort of head on his shoulders and starts taking this seriously, and with respect for us country people, out in "fly-over counties"!.... Which I'm pretty sure ain't gonna happen. Mitt's a city boy pure and simple.

One solution, and my best advice: "Do not give up your hard-won firearms rights this time. Let's not let what's happened in Canada, Britain and Australia happen here! When they come to get your guns or register your ammo or components, do not let them have them! Hide them if necessary, but it would be far better to fight for our rights so we don't have to hide anything!

"It's not possible to legislate human behavior."

"You cannot change human behavior, especially the pathological types, with legislation that controls inanimate objects."

"Given the choice of two idiotic options, the devout leftie will always support the least effective but most "PC" version. Especially if it annoys logical people"

©rifleman 2012.

Again, for tonight, my sincere condolences to the victims and families out in Aurora, Colorado. This should not have happened!

Last edited by rifleman; 07-20-2012 at 09:47 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 10:36 PM

593 posts, read 1,376,415 times
Implications?

I hope the shooter is implicated in this criminal act.

I hope he gets the death penalty or life in the pen.

Absolutely tragic that parents and children could not enjoy family time and a movie together without being assaulted by a damn lunatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting