U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:23 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,484,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
A long gun gives higher velocity and better accuracy than a hand gun, and using pistol mag gives greater versatility in close quarters fighting with a single ammo supply. That's always been the manifesto of carbines.

Working it the other way around, building pistols around rifle ammo has had limited success, and typically compromises close range work capabilities.

Considering the possible uses in the higher probability scenarios, defending one's home against intruders up close and personal seems a far likelier situation to have to deal with than picking them off at a great distance.
I suppose, but a good old Winchester 30-30 OR a AK-47 clone have similar handling, and are short to mid range cartridges, that to me are about as good indoors as out....

Mostly I don't shoot anything in doors, other than those red commie squirrels in the barn I use a NNA mini with # 12 shot for that.

For home and castle I am fairly confident with the choices of a .45 to go get the shot gun in 12ga.

I'ld say a lot depends on where it is one lives. Out here my dive way is 1/2 mile long. I don't stand a chance of hitting another house, even if i used a 30-06. My area in NH is full of dense trees, and intruders usually come on 4 legs, or maybe 2 with wings.

I have a friend with a M1 carbine in 30 cal, and we both like to shoot it, but I have no desire to own one myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:37 AM

33,000 posts, read 30,272,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I can't understand pistol ammo in a long gun in these times.... The only place that idea works for me is in .62 cal and black powder. BUT the load changes in the hand gun to the long gun, only the round ball remains the same.

As close as i would personally be interested is in .44mag maybe... A single action mated to a lever gun might work for me just maybe.... i won't ever have desire and money enough to buy..

I won't condemn others for it though
In my instance it would be free ammo

Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
In my instance it would be free ammo
I am so all over that idea That so far is the very best idea.!

I could almost be sold if it were 10mm with a hand gun and a carbine...

The .45 is what it is....... The .44 mag has a bit more get up and go, well a bit more than that, and to me that might be a place to start with short barrels and longer barrels sort of....

This heya' chil' is not narry dumb enough to try any 45/70 in a hand gun...... No Sir, and none of that 500 S&W either I like my body parts exactly where they are now.......

Old 09-14-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
I am so all over that idea That so far is the very best idea.!

I could almost be sold if it were 10mm with a hand gun and a carbine...

The .45 is what it is....... The .44 mag has a bit more get up and go, well a bit more than that, and to me that might be a place to start with short barrels and longer barrels sort of....

This heya' chil' is not narry dumb enough to try any 45/70 in a hand gun...... No Sir, and none of that 500 S&W either I like my body parts exactly where they are now.......
I've got both and after the initial test trial they are now collectors.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 PM

Both which both? I sort of mentioned 4 gun or ammo types..... Both?????

Old 09-17-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Both which both? I sort of mentioned 4 gun or ammo types..... Both?????
Revolvers in .45-70 and .500 sw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting