Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 12:12 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times

Advertisements

So the other day I Decided I was going to go out to my grandmothers house and pay her a visit. I had the day off and I thought that I had better get out there cause I hadn't seen her for awhile. We talked for a bit and after awhile she asked me if I would help her to pick out something that she could use for home defense. { this completely made my day } After the initial shock of an 80+ year old woman asking about purchasing a firearm had worn off, something she had never taken an interest in for as long as I've been alive, I said sure I would. Now she's no stranger to guns, she used to be an avid trapper and hunter in her younger days. She had to be in order to put food on the table to feed her family of 8. Most of the time she didn't have the $$$ to go out and buy food so she growed it and hunted for it.

Anyway, back to the story. Despite my attempts to get her interested before, she had never shown any real enthusiasm toward the idea of getting an HD gun, so I asked what sparked this sudden interest. There has been a lot of new faces in the area lately because of a new industry that has landed in our area, and with all those new faces there has been an increase in violent crime, just miles from where she lives. Two incidents just in the last month of women being violated in their own homes. That was why she was concerned now. I asked her what she was looking for, and she said a shotgun. Finaly I asked her if she'd be afraid of a little kick, and she said no. She's pretty spry for an old{er} woman, not how you would imagine most 80 year olds. She still gets around and does her gardening etc. etc. so I wasn't too worried about a more powerful firearm. Anyway, we finaly settled on this bad boy, just got it this morning......

It's a USSG MP220 12 ga. "coach gun" with a 20 in. barrel length. I was looking more for a pump action but she liked this style after I had already done some scouting on my own and then showed her the models I had found on my laptop. She likes it, I'm more comfortable knowing she's has some means of defense all by her lonesome out in the sticks, and it will surely serve it's purpiose. I got her some #4 buck, the same as I use for my HD round.
Attached Thumbnails
Check Out Grandmas New HD Gun!!!-dscn0151.jpg   Check Out Grandmas New HD Gun!!!-dscn0150.jpg   Check Out Grandmas New HD Gun!!!-dscn0147.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 02:08 PM

236 posts, read 427,413 times
load that bad boy with dragons breath and bolo's light'em up and cut'em in half

Old 10-13-2012, 06:17 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieplumber View Post

man no way, she could miss with the shot and still fry them bad with the flame.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:32 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Go get her a rubber shoulder stock slip on cushion! That thing will kick like a mule, but it IS very cool!

Make sure she gets to use it...... at the range

Old 10-14-2012, 02:45 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,162 times
Teach her to shoot it from the hip . No need to fire from the shoulder and the recoil will be brutal on an old person .

Old 10-14-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Teach her to shoot it from the hip . No need to fire from the shoulder and the recoil will be brutal on an old person .
I dunno man, after what he said about her, I can't be sure who is gonna teach the other WHAT! I kinda wish i could be the fly on the wall for that one

Once i knew a wealthy woman alone who had 3 little yorkies and 2 flinters pistols on the phone table just inside the door.

And God help anyone she didn't like past that phone table. The flinters were there in case you wanted to committed suicide!

She was one of the last Big Game Hunters alive at the time I knew her. That place had a real trophy room! I am dead serious.

In the hall on each side of a doorway 4 men wide were green marble tusk holders with tusks 12 feet high. In the room going down both sides were stuffed big game heads of every kind from Mexico to Africa. between were hides all dressed out and mounted on layers of wool.

Under all that were Drilling rifles from Germany, Double Rifles from England and everything between but nothing cheap for sure....

She was wealthy before she married and she married well, meeting her would be husband on HER hunt in Mexico, where He crash landed a bi-plane in front of her and ruined that days hunt!

That woman didn't take any crap from anyone. She had heard of me as a car tech and was after a custom built vehicle, and I was nothing to her but a hired hand....

Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I dunno man, after what he said about her, I can't be sure who is gonna teach the other WHAT! I kinda wish i could be the fly on the wall for that one
She has taught me everything I know about how to raise a crop and living off the land, and I'm not ashamed of saying it I can remember talking to someone once who was what I like to call for lack of a better term, "city-fied" and I had told them of a very tasty dish my grandmother showed me....... Fried dandelion greens. The guy I was talking to looked at me as if I were nuts and he actually called us crazy..... they don't know what they don't know. She's taught me how to hunt for ginseng and all kinds of stuff.
Quote:
She was wealthy before she married and she married well, meeting her would be husband on HER hunt in Mexico, where He crash landed a bi-plane in front of her and ruined that days hunt!
She sounds like the kind of woman that would shoot a man for ruining the hunt lol......

Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 PM

Hey look, I know the idea of an 80+ year old woman shooting a 12 ga. sounds just completely assinine, but all I can say is, you would have to know her to understand. She can handle it no problem at all. She's not your typical frail old woman. I started her out on some #8 shot and moved on to bigger and better loads...... never phased her. I would be impressed, but I know her lol.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieplumber View Post
I was going to get some of those dragons breath to have some fun with but at 100 bucks for a box of 25, I think I'll pass.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Hey look, I know the idea of an 80+ year old woman shooting a 12 ga. sounds just completely assinine, but all I can say is, you would have to know her to understand. She can handle it no problem at all. She's not your typical frail old woman. I started her out on some #8 shot and moved on to bigger and better loads...... never phased her. I would be impressed, but I know her lol.
I think there is something to not living a sedentary life style, where many females tend to set about doing the types of chores there they do not get smashed and bash, and or fall down. The kinds of chores where wearing dresses or white slacks isn't any option.

Evidently your granny wasn't like that and so has work hardened her bones and body somewhat more. I find that very respectable.

Never the less you should shoot that gun yourself and by a few boxes at a time in high base brass so you can tell how bad it kicks..

Then watch her closely as there are things you could do to reduce that kick.... Check that the stock can 'fit' her, either cut the stock down so a slip on recoil pad can be stuffed on the butt, or maybe better cut the stock to fit her and add on a screw on pad which is much nicer.

Check out

Shotgun Parts on Sale for All Major Brands/Models - Brownells

I know well exactly what you mean about "city-fied"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting