U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times

Advertisements

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm honestly bored of military-style guns. When I go shooting I'm more likely to grab my muzzleloader or 1860 Henry reproduction, and when I go camping or exploring I throw my Sig pistol in glove box and leave it at that.

I even sold my Sig 556 classic because I wasn't using it and needed the money... My AR is getting dusty too; I only shot it once this year.

It's funny because "black guns" were always my favorite when I was younger; now it's more satisfying to shoot slow and straight rather than spraying bullets all over the place. When I go to a gun store now I'll walk right past the "tacti-cool" section and go straight to something with wood on it instead. I'm kinda worried I'm getting old or something.

Anybody else bored of "black guns"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 08:54 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,037,973 times
I wouldn't say bored with them, but I have started on a two-tone OD green/black kick recently.

I own two 1911s like that. I am looking for a discontinued GLOCK like that. I blew it all to hell and didn't get one back when they were available cheap. Right when they discontinued them...they dumped them pretty cheap.

I just saw a Kel-Tec KSG shotgun that a State Police Officer and an FFL had to go together to purchase. An FFL cannot even get one by himself yet. They are only shipping to Police and Military at the present time.

That badboy is cool as hell. OD green and black.

I'm getting one of them as soon as I can. Something like 12 rounds of 12 gauge at your disposal with a nasty (add-on) fork prong breaching tool on the end. It also had some sort of EOTech red dot sight on it as well. Man that sucker was cool! lol

When the State Police Officer passed it around, we joked who was going to have an orgasim first! LMAO

Old 11-10-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm honestly bored of military-style guns. When I go shooting I'm more likely to grab my muzzleloader or 1860 Henry reproduction, and when I go camping or exploring I throw my Sig pistol in glove box and leave it at that.

I even sold my Sig 556 classic because I wasn't using it and needed the money... My AR is getting dusty too; I only shot it once this year.

It's funny because "black guns" were always my favorite when I was younger; now it's more satisfying to shoot slow and straight rather than spraying bullets all over the place. When I go to a gun store now I'll walk right past the "tacti-cool" section and go straight to something with wood on it instead. I'm kinda worried I'm getting old or something.

Anybody else bored of "black guns"?
Keeping with my theme Chango...I'd recommend a FN A3G in .308 (7.62x51mm).

FNH USA - Distinct Advantage :: SPR A3G

Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 PM

69 posts, read 148,154 times
I've never cared for them. I'm not all that crazy about semi-auto rifles perios. I have had AR-15s, a SKS and several semi-auto .22s. They're ok, but I prefer lever and single shot rifles. I've never had any black powder, and I don't think I'd want one, but they're fine for those that like them.

I will keep one or two of what people call assault weapons, and a few thousand rounds of ammo for them, because one never knows what the future holds. However, for entertainment I'll shoot the oldman stuff.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,944,808 times
I prefer older military surplus rifles with the wooden stocks

Spanish American war era , WWI, WWII, Korea

I dont own any modern high tech tactical firearms, I like historical pieces

Old 11-11-2012, 10:14 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,322,237 times
It's short (carbine), light weight, simple and effective. It's a Mini-14. Works for me. Military looking was fine when I was in it. Don't need it now.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:17 PM

30,736 posts, read 16,968,992 times
I guess when you carried one for 20+ years....the thrill, for me, was gone 15 years ago....

Old 11-11-2012, 04:23 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,362,274 times
I see. While I own 2 AK clones i do not bump them, nor do i drop in a mag and just clickety click. not to say i can't and haven't a little bit but that mostly still 1 rnd is one rnd and that is it in the idea of 1 shot is one kill.

I do bolt guns that way too, and even own single shot guns that must work that way, not to mention flinter guns that have no choice.

Of course when i was born 51' there were no black guns, and the fastest actions at that time were semi and still a lot of lever guns were around and I have one of them still.

I have never wanted anything in .223. All its good for in NH is paper..... Oh yeah well it's legal for deer but i won't.

I respect the game for what the game is and i am not sending a leaf poppin rnd at any deer..... I don't want to live with that sort of poor hunting skill on my list of life regrets when the time comes.

But i won't stop another. mainly I do not like the lock up in the Ar rifles not even in the 10's, which if i did I would buy..

Just don't like it.

I don't do any 9's either, just got no use of them.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I guess when you carried one for 20+ years....the thrill, for me, was gone 15 years ago....
It's never gone with me Chuck. In fact, it only made me smarter about what to use and what works in all conditions. Sure a old Colt Army .45 LC single action is historical. I sure wouldn't want to get into a modern gunfight with one.

CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom: "Long Term Redemption" by Nutnfancy - YouTube

Old 11-12-2012, 10:03 AM

482 posts, read 1,030,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It's short (carbine), light weight, simple and effective. It's a Mini-14. Works for me. Military looking was fine when I was in it. Don't need it now.

I have the same thing... when I want a "black gun", I use the tactical stock for the Mini-14. When I want a different look, I use the wooden stock for the Mini-14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting