Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 AM

410 posts, read 515,088 times

Advertisements

That's awesome! I am looking into taking the hunting course myself. Must have been exciting taking down your first deer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 12:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
lol...yup. I think I surprised the landowner because I sliced it open and was reaching up into it to gut it. I wasn't squeamish...just didn't really know what I was doing.
UGH OMG that probably smells a thousand times worse than a chicken! *kinkytoes faints*

Is it acceptable after you make sure the deer's dead, to cut off the legs and other cuts of meat and leave the innards? Do you have to bleed the deer?

Old 11-18-2012, 01:28 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
UGH OMG that probably smells a thousand times worse than a chicken! *kinkytoes faints*

Is it acceptable after you make sure the deer's dead, to cut off the legs and other cuts of meat and leave the innards? Do you have to bleed the deer?
Smells the same as a chicken innards just a larger volume of smell. LOL

Trust me if the deer isn't dead and you start cutting on it youll know real quick.

Lots of hunters bone out their deer and pack it out with the head and/or antlers for a male deer. Yes leaving the gut pile behind for scavengers.

The deer bleeds plenty when you rip out the guts and cut off the head.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Way I read it, you were shooting "downhill" - that always results in a higher point of impact. If you're going to shoot from an elevated stand at relatively close (100 yards or less) range, it'd behoove you to sight the gun in like that, as well. Once sighted in for your "common" shooting, then run a few rounds in the other mode (ie, zero'd for shooting from above, then shoot from level ground) and make note of impact change. You don't want to change the "zero" from your normal shooting, just know what changes, and then change your aim-point on the animal if you're shooting from a different position than it was zero'd for.
I agree...... You need to make a mental adjustment for the height of bullet trajectory for a give gun and round. Since the round is pointed down in a case such as this the top of that trajectory is where you need to KNOW it is and that is where to aim.

Same thing happens shooting high angles.

An example might be .308, 24 inch barrel, at 150 yards 'Point Blank'.

You set up a scope viewing thru the bore at a target at a known 150 yards. You match the sights or better yet a scope to the same point.

Once a round is touched off the bullet rises up passing the line of sight, in the middle (apx 75 yards) and about inch high. If all is done correctly the bullet hits dead on at 150 yards crossing thru the line of sight again.

( I like to tinker, and so when I set up a scope I use a plumb bob and a bi-pod to get the scope straight on a bench. Then i might spend hours bore sighting to a knott or something on a tree at a known distance. I make the scope and bore match. This can take the better part of 3 or 4 afternoons before i fire one shot. The end results are usually like this.)

Good enough to take a deer at anything out to 150 yards.. now i know 150 isn't any big deal in the west but it is here, because in my woods you can'tr see well after 25 feet. the Nor' East rain thicket is sum tight Mista' A good scope here can make all the difference since you look for body parts not a animal, but you want power from 0 to 4x and not much more if any.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:53 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Trust me if the deer isn't dead and you start cutting on it youll know real quick.

Lots of hunters bone out their deer and pack it out with the head and/or antlers for a male deer. Yes leaving the gut pile behind for scavengers.

Back east here they are going nutso about gut piles as if it really mattered any.

So long as you don't gut the deer on a roadside the whole pile is gone in a few days.... All sorts of critters come and will beat a path in all of 360 degrees to get any.

These poor Flatlanders just have no idea. Back in August 2010 I hit ab jeep on my bike that hit a moose. it was 98 degrees out that night, and the cops shot that moose 9 times in the swamp water, head waters to the Chocorua water shed, which man drinks.

The all KNOWING State decided to leave it there. &^%^%$##@#! So I found out others (with a wrecker) were going to cover for the state, and move it. i wanted to help too, and so i did.

We put that moose in a high and dry place way out back under the mountain and I checked it at times and saw the game trails be created. of course being who i am I took a bit of hair and a tooth myself.

None of that moose was wasted. Had it been any cooler I would have put that meat in a freezer, but the heat of the night added brackish water sort of finished that idea for me. I wanted the hide too, but the over all way of some things to me, ends as it is just better to leave well enough alone.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Old 11-18-2012, 04:24 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

In Nebraska, at least, you can quarter it but I think you have to leave the head and antlers intact until you take it to check it in. After shooting it I gutted it and then the landowner brought his 4x4 pickup down to pick it up for me. With the gut pile laying there I joked to him "I think it's dead".

It's still hanging in his shed. We're going to butcher it tonight or tomorrow. Yesterday we had to take it and a big doe he had shot and presented them to a local game warden to make sure all rules were followed and they count the number that are shot.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:57 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I agree...... You need to make a mental adjustment for the height of bullet trajectory for a give gun and round. Since the round is pointed down in a case such as this the top of that trajectory is where you need to KNOW it is and that is where to aim.

Same thing happens shooting high angles.

An example might be .308, 24 inch barrel, at 150 yards 'Point Blank'.

You set up a scope viewing thru the bore at a target at a known 150 yards. You match the sights or better yet a scope to the same point.

Once a round is touched off the bullet rises up passing the line of sight, in the middle (apx 75 yards) and about inch high. If all is done correctly the bullet hits dead on at 150 yards crossing thru the line of sight again.

( I like to tinker, and so when I set up a scope I use a plumb bob and a bi-pod to get the scope straight on a bench. Then i might spend hours bore sighting to a knott or something on a tree at a known distance. I make the scope and bore match. This can take the better part of 3 or 4 afternoons before i fire one shot. The end results are usually like this.)

Good enough to take a deer at anything out to 150 yards.. now i know 150 isn't any big deal in the west but it is here, because in my woods you can'tr see well after 25 feet. the Nor' East rain thicket is sum tight Mista' A good scope here can make all the difference since you look for body parts not a animal, but you want power from 0 to 4x and not much more if any.
Out in parts of the desert a 400 yard shot is average. I've got a 6-24 on my win mag. Then on the Mt it can be 50 feet and I switch guns to the carbine with a 2-7.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Been bird and rabbit hunting for years...but got my first deer. Woot! Just had to brag. That is all.
Curious: what did you use? I mean, type of rifle, cartridge, etc. And at what range, more or less?

My first, about 45 yrs go, was at a miserly 125 yds with a 7X57 Mauser chambering in a nifty& very "Euro" Brno/CZ rifle I now dearly wish I'd kept, but I sold it because I'm a lefty and it was a righty. "So what?" I say now, but back then I was a young purist...

Anyhow, the details are always interesting, huh?

Keep it up.

Btw, regarding guts, past year we tried a new gutting technique on our whitetail (this time @ ≈275 yds with a 250-3000 Ackley Imp.) that Field & Stream (I think) had an article on.

Essentially, you don't open the animal up at all. You cut each limb at the "elbow joints", lop off the head and then remove the front legs (real easy on a deer of course) then work off the rear legs, and then just go for the sirloins and backstraps, (and also go after them if you really want the ribs...) but then just leave the undisturbed bag of innards there, inside, without bothering to pull them out.

Then it's real easy to skin those legs etc.

Was quite quick and a lot less messy!

Old 11-20-2012, 11:56 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Curious: what did you use? I mean, type of rifle, cartridge, etc. And at what range, more or less?
It was a 30-06. I bought the rifle last year at a pawn shop. It's a Charter Arms "Field King". To be honest I was going for the cheap rifle, as I was just getting into the hunting thing. I know I need a better scope...it's a cheap scope. I will probably end up picking up a different rifle at some point. I'm not sure of the exact cartridge, I believe it was Remington, but not sure of the other details of it, to be honest. I bought it last year. I'd have to check the box. I can get back to you on that. It was probably about 75 yards away, I'd say. Maybe a bit less. It was the last day of the season that I knew I'd get so I got excited when I saw it and shot.

I'm guessing you know a little more about it than I do--based on your moniker, as well as your post.
Quote:

My first, about 45 yrs go, was at a miserly 125 yds with a 7X57 Mauser chambering in a nifty& very "Euro" Brno/CZ rifle I now dearly wish I'd kept, but I sold it because I'm a lefty and it was a righty. "So what?" I say now, but back then I was a young purist...

Anyhow, the details are always interesting, huh?

Keep it up.
Thanks....I had a ball last week sitting out and watching nature. I'm thinking of picking up a .22 to go shoot squirrels and rabbits.
Quote:
Btw, regarding guts, past year we tried a new gutting technique on our whitetail (this time @ ≈275 yds with a 250-3000 Ackley Imp.) that Field & Stream (I think) had an article on.
I'm going to go out on a limb here
Quote:
Essentially, you don't open the animal up at all. You cut each limb at the "elbow joints", lop off the head and then remove the front legs (real easy on a deer of course) then work off the rear legs, and then just go for the sirloins and backstraps, (and also go after them if you really want the ribs...) but then just leave the undisturbed bag of innards there, inside, without bothering to pull them out.

Then it's real easy to skin those legs etc.

Was quite quick and a lot less messy!
I can imagine that would make it a lot easier. And lighter to pack out. I know our local laws require that we leave the head on the animal until we check it in. I think we can quarter it...but we can't take it apart that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting