Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 AM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Curious: what did you use? I mean, type of rifle, cartridge, etc. And at what range, more or less?

My first, about 45 yrs go, was at a miserly 125 yds with a 7X57 Mauser chambering in a nifty& very "Euro" Brno/CZ rifle I now dearly wish I'd kept, but I sold it because I'm a lefty and it was a righty. "So what?" I say now, but back then I was a young purist...

Anyhow, the details are always interesting, huh?

Keep it up.

Btw, regarding guts, past year we tried a new gutting technique on our whitetail (this time @ ≈275 yds with a 250-3000 Ackley Imp.) that Field & Stream (I think) had an article on.

Essentially, you don't open the animal up at all. You cut each limb at the "elbow joints", lop off the head and then remove the front legs (real easy on a deer of course) then work off the rear legs, and then just go for the sirloins and backstraps, (and also go after them if you really want the ribs...) but then just leave the undisturbed bag of innards there, inside, without bothering to pull them out.

Then it's real easy to skin those legs etc.

Was quite quick and a lot less messy!
That is the preferred method for backpack hunting. With desert heat you have to get the animal out of there and cooled down as quick as possible. I even go so far as to chip out the skull cap so you don't have to pack the head either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting