U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 12:33 PM

4,151 posts, read 3,902,552 times

Advertisements

Had an Apex trigger kit installed in my Shield 9. It's a sweet shooter now! It was okay before, now it's fantastic. Even though I have XL hands, it fits nicely and is very comfortable.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 03:57 PM

3,677 posts, read 8,004,255 times
I have two M&P Shield 9mm and it's my EDC when I'm at our second residence in Nevada. It's kind of the default choice in CA since the Walther PPS, Glock 43, and SA XD-S are not on the CA DOJ approved handgun list.

It's been reliable for me and I'm accurate with it at seven yards. I got the second one when there was a $75 rebate. I'll always wish I could try a PPS since I can't get one, but the reality is, the Shield is perfectly fine and reliable choice if you're looking for a single-stack subcompact semiauto 9mm. I'd prefer to shoot something else at the range, but it's as big as I want to go for concealed carry. I carry it in either a Comp-Tac Infidel Ultra Max, JM Custom OWB, or Ultimate Belly Band, depending on what I'm wearing.

There's a 2.0 version of the Shield out now, and since no new semiautos get onto the CA DOJ approved handgun list, we'll never see it here.

Edit: Ugh, I see someone bumped a six-year old thread, for no good reason.

Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM

3,648 posts, read 5,036,119 times
I have one and occasionally carry but it’s mostly for home security. We go to the range about once a month and I feel comfortable with it. Not too heavy, easy to disassemble to clean.

Old Today, 01:15 PM

3,677 posts, read 8,004,255 times
Why on earth would you want to use a subcompact single-stack 9mm pistol for home defense? Full-size pistol has so many advantages: round count, accuracy/sight radius, less snappy/more controllable recoil, faster target reacquisition, etc.

Old Today, 01:28 PM

400 posts, read 86,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Thinking of getting a new concealed carry gun as an early Christmas gift for myself. I've really heard the Shield is a nice package for the price and hides pretty well under a suit. Anyone have an M&P Shield or have opinions on them?
The shield is a good shooter for a pistol that small. I have shot a few, and I feel it's a better package than the Glock 43, which is it's biggest competitor right now.

With that said, have you looked into carrying a mouse gun? I can tell you from experience that once I started pocket carrying at work, I've never been able to go back to carrying on/in my waist. Pocket guns aren't what they used to be as well. You can get a Ruger LCP-2 for a couple hundred dollars off of Bud's, and they are just as reliable as a full size service pistol. One of the biggest misconceptions about pocket carry is that it's a slow draw, which isn't true with slacks, the right holster, and a little practice. The other misconception is that 380acp isn't an effective round.

Last edited by spider99; Today at 01:36 PM..

Old Today, 01:35 PM

400 posts, read 86,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
Contrary to what some of the gun writers are putting in print, the Shield, like the regular M&P is not a double action only pistol. It is a single action pistol. Factory literature for the Shield is mum on the issue, as is the latest S&W catalogs on the M&P. Likely a functional gun.

Why has S&W spent so much time and energy misleading the public and law enforcement?
The shield is a typical striker pistol, but they define it as being DAO because it's a 2 stage trigger, which is required in many LE agencies. The Shield is a common BUG used by LE, and would not be if it was an actual single action like a 1911, despite the fact that for all general purposes, it's a SA pistol. The label is how they get around stupid rules imposed on LE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting